Food threads - keeping it vegan.

Nekodaiden

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
When I signed up here a few years ago it was as a very new vegan looking for support for vegan living, specifically in the food area. This is why I searched for and sought out the term "vegan", because I was looking for a specifically vegan forum.

One of the basic rules of this forum for over 2 years (and however long before I joined, I don't know), was that in the food threads, things were kept vegan. This meant that any non-vegan things were removed.

Since the merger, there are several vegetarians here, and a moderator who is vegetarian. This in itself isn't an issue, and I much prefer people correctly self identify than feel pressured to lie for the sake of the namesake and purpose - but at the same time I still think that if - in all honesty - people are eating non-vegan things (like dairy and eggs), then they should not appear in at least the food threads, because let's face it, when people are exploring vegan eating, that is one of the first places they are likely to investigate. Besides meat for some, eggs and dairy can be triggers for others.

Can we keep the food threads vegan please? For the sake of all vegans here, all vegan curious, and the namesake itself. Perhaps a separate area could be created for vegetarians in transition - but I feel pretty strongly that non-vegan things commonly accepted/consumed by vegetarians should be strongly discouraged in the food areas that are meant for vegans and vegan curious.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: edde and Raven
I don’t really care either way but that would work for me. I don’t post anything food related that isn’t vegan anyway. And it’s kind of annoying to have to always say, vegan mayo, chick’n, cheez, etc. I feel like I want to put a disclaimer that if I’m posting anything about food you can assume it’s vegan. I do on occasion eat a non vegan Quorn Patty or veggie burger but I won’t be posting about it.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
I don’t really care either way but that would work for me. I don’t post anything food related that isn’t vegan anyway. And it’s kind of annoying to have to always say, vegan mayo, chick’n, cheez, etc. I feel like I want to put a disclaimer that if I’m posting anything about food you can assume it’s vegan. I do on occasion eat a non vegan Quorn Patty or veggie burger but I won’t be posting about it.

I think to newbies it may not immediately register and cause confusion. For instance, if I went to a food-related forum and saw someone who identified as a vegetarian and listed as part of what they were eating things like cheese, yogurt, eggs etc - I would assume they weren't vegan versions, especially because of how they identify.

I know some people here are long time members from VV before the merger, and I'm not at all for forcing veganism to remain active (even by omission), but at the same time it can cause both confusion and trigger people who are trying to abstain. This is particularly important in the food/recipe areas.

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52
Since the merger, there are several vegetarians here, and a moderator who is vegetarian. This in itself isn't an issue, and I much prefer people correctly self identify than feel pressured to lie for the sake of the namesake and purpose - but at the same time I still think that if - in all honesty - people are eating non-vegan things (like dairy and eggs), then they should not appear in at least the food threads, because let's face it, when people are exploring vegan eating, that is one of the first places they are likely to investigate. Besides meat for some, eggs and dairy can be triggers for others.

Can we keep the food threads vegan please? For the sake of all vegans here, all vegan curious, and the namesake itself. Perhaps a separate area could be created for vegetarians in transition - but I feel pretty strongly that non-vegan things commonly accepted/consumed by vegetarians should be strongly discouraged in the food areas that are meant for vegans and vegan curious.

There is a specific thread in the Support Area/Vegetarian forum for members to post if they wish :

All the recipes in the Recipe section are vegan.

Could you specify in which posts you've seen members discussing food that is dairy/eggs in the food forum?

Reactions: Lou and KLS52
Yes, I agree. Which is why I always make the distinction. It would be good not to have to do that. I don’t think I’ve ever come across someone posting non vegan food though. But I don’t see every single post obviously.

On the one hand I do like the idea of keeping it vegan. On the other hand I feel this isn't the time to enforce it.
I do it's the time to be more empathetic to others feelings

Interesting, you're against a seperate CT thread, but in favor of a separate vegetarian forum.

Or in other words, you're against isolating CTers, but in favor of isolating vegetarians.

The double standard is so thick, I could cut it with a knife.

Interesting, you're against a seperate CT thread, but in favor of a separate vegetarian forum.

Or in other words, you're against isolating CTers, but in favor of isolating vegetarians.

The double standard is so thick, I could cut it with a knife.

This is a food related forum, beancounter. People are likely to come here for specifically vegan support, as that is the title and theme of this message board. CT, politics, whatcha reading, what do you think about X (non-vegan topic) is all sort of irrelevant to the theme but those subjects do allow people to get to know one another better outside the main theme/purpose of this board. It makes sense that the food/recipe related threads coincide with the theme.

There is a specific thread in the Support Area/Vegetarian forum for members to post if they wish :

All the recipes in the Recipe section are vegan.

Could you specify in which posts you've seen members discussing food that is dairy/eggs in the food forum?

If I see someone identifying as a vegetarian post that they are eating yogurt or cheese (spelled or mispelled) and I don't already know they are referring to a vegan version, then would it be reasonable for me to assume they aren't vegan versions? I'm not only speaking from knowledge/lackthereof I may/may not have of members, but also from vegan-curious and newbie perspectives.

I didn't want to call anyone out.

If I see someone identifying as a vegetarian post that they are eating yogurt or cheese (spelled or mispelled) and I don't already know they are referring to a vegan version, then would it be reasonable for me to assume they aren't vegan versions? I'm not only speaking from knowledge/lackthereof I may/may not have of members, but also from vegan-curious and newbie perspectives.

You would have to ask the person in question as you obviously have someone in mind. There are no rules about having to state that the product is plant based/vegan/alternative as members are posting in the vegan section. The only area where vegetarians can post their meals/snacks is in the Support area.

I personally find it irritating to have to type vegan in front of every dish/food/product in every single post.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
We had a mix of vegans and vegetarians on Veggie views, but there was always a sort of etiquette tHing, maybe an unofficial rule where we disused vegan food and vegan issues. Mostly it would stay like that... We never had any problems getting along... I think it is a new thing, being merged with a vegan board.. Maybe some of the vegans are not enjoying the change in status of the board... Tbh it is Mostly vegan forum now... As bit of a change...

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52

🙄 :fp:
...so you find that your opinion on whether or not a food someone is posting is legitimately vegan or not is worthy of VF's critic, but everyone else calling BS on your conspiracy theories is not?

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
And if you see this as a vegan forum why would question whether 'mayo' 'cheese' or even 'egg' (like Just?) wouldn't be vegan?

You would have to ask the person in question as you obviously have someone in mind. There are no rules about having to state that the product is plant based/vegan/alternative as members are posting in the vegan section. The only area where vegetarians can post their meals/snacks is in the Support section.

O k. Well that would be yourself and KLS52. You posted yogurt as a food item and she posted "cheez" (mac and cheez). You both list as vegetarians. I don't really know either of you, but probably just a little bit better than someone who's just browsing the forum and may not know anyone, or may just be vegan curious.

I personally find it irritating to have to type vegan in front of every dish/food/product in every single post.

I don't know, I very rarely have to do this as I don't typically eat things like plant based butters/cheeses or anything else that might be misconstrued so I rarely have to use the adjective but I would if it meant clarity to someone reading. I was also not aware why I should assume they were plant based if someone is not vegan?

• Angry
Reactions: silva
O k. Well that would be yourself and KLS52. You posted yogurt as a food item and she posted "cheez" (mac and cheez). You both list as vegetarians. I don't really know either of you, but probably just a little bit better than someone who's just browsing the forum and may not know anyone, or may just be vegan curious.

I don't know, I very rarely have to do this as I don't typically eat things like plant based butters/cheeses or anything else that might be misconstrued so I rarely have to use the adjective but I would if it meant clarity to someone reading. I was also not aware why I should assume they were plant based if someone is not vegan?

The yogurt in question is a store brand, soya yogurt which tastes quite vile. Moreover, you shouldn't automatically assume that someone who is vegetarian only eats dairy and eggs.

The yogurt in question is a store brand soya yogurt which tastes quite vile. Moreover, you shouldn't automatically assume that someone who is vegetarian only eats dairy and eggs.

I made no such assumption. However if they list as a vegetarian the right assumption (I think) is that they would sometimes be included. I think this is fair even if it's made explicitly clear here in regards to a particular post. Not everyone reading this forum will read this thread and see your clarification, but they might read the food thread and assume Yogurt means dairy based (as it is normally thought of), same as cheese, butter, etc especially if they also look at how individuals who list these things identify as other-than-vegan.

I made no such assumption. However if they list as a vegetarian the right assumption (I think) is that they would sometimes be included. I think this is fair even if it's made explicitly clear here in regards to a particular post. Not everyone reading this forum will read this thread and see your clarification, but they might read the food thread and assume Yogurt means dairy based (as it is normally thought of), same as cheese, butter, etc especially if they also look at how individuals who list these things identify as other-than-vegan.

I would call that nit-picking.

I thought that by writing cheese as cheez made it clear that it was vegan and not dairy. Same for chick’n. I figured it was understood. Again regardless of what I identify with (I don’t use a specific label in general but identify more closely with vegan). I know it doesn’t matter to most but I see a difference between a vegetarian who regularly consumes eggs and dairy and one who is mostly vegan and has a veggie burger at a restaurant that might have egg in it once every few months. But I’m really not going to engage in a battle of degrees of vegetarianism.

To iterate, when I post about a meal that I’ve had, I do not post any food that isn’t vegan but I’ll be more clear going forward and state vegan cheese, boca chicken patty, vegan mayo, etc.

For this reason, I would lean more toward having all food posted be vegan with a separate area where vegetarians could post vegetarian food. But I don’t care enough to be bothered by either outcome.

Oh yeah, I don’t even see where it shows what people identify as unless you are simply going by where we might have mentioned it in a particular post.

Reactions: Freesia