Food threads - keeping it vegan.

When I was just vegan curious back in the day, I lurked on veggie forums and quickly learned about the alternate spellings for vegan versions of non-vegan foods, like chik'n and cheez (I did totally forget about the Cheez-Whiz, though it kind of fits because it's far from actual cheese, haha). People who are curious will read and learn without having to have everything spelled out for them. And they might even ask a question or two to clarify once they comfortable on a particular forum.

When I read "cheez" it reminds me of that disgusting stuff Kraft makes, Cheez-Wiz, which is definitely NOT vegan. When I was a kid that stuff was popular to put on celery sticks. I always used peanut butter instead, and still do. So I guess it depends on what part of the world you live in.

I see people occasionally using "Mylk" now to spell the word, so as not to upset all those hard working dairy industry folks. At the end of the day,, I don't care what it's called as long as it's dairy free.

I made the most disgusting plant based cheez dip. No one liked it- it had mostly oats, red peppers, nothing would save the texture or taste--but it did taste like either the jar of Cheez wiz, or the stuff they sold for nachos at football concession stands.

Reactions: Veganite
Well, this thread is already off-topic. and to continue that trend.

Just read that a local pizza chain, Pizza My Heart now has Miyokos cheese as an option on their vegetarian pizzas.

I can't wait to try it.

• Informative
Reactions: Freesia and Val
Maybe we can have individual posts flagged as vegan or vegetarian to make it clear at the start of the post what kind of food is being discussed. Not sure how much work that would be to implement but that would provide clarity/trigger warning while still allowing everyone to participate in the same space.
I’m thinking of doing something like that myself. For instance, if I post in the breakfast thread I’ll start out with, “my vegan breakfast is/was...” then list what I ate. Although at this point it’s probably more clear to just say, “tofu scramble with Daiya cheese, bagel with Miyokos butter, etc.” I don’t know. I keep waffling lol. I think it would be confusing to say, tofu scramble with cheese, buttered bagel...even if I did precede it with my vegan breakfast. So maybe labeling each item works best. Aghhhh. I can’t decide.

I made the most disgusting plant based cheez dip. No one liked it- it had mostly oats, red peppers, nothing would save the texture or taste--but it did taste like either the jar of Cheez wiz, or the stuff they sold for nachos at football concession stands.

The type of nacho cheeze you're talking about is very similar to Cheez Wiz. It's just a bit thinner and spiced up, slightly. It's probably the same kind you get at a convenience store at 2 a.m. after bar hopping the night.

btw, I hope your culinary skills have improved ;)

Reactions: Val
The type of nacho cheeze you're talking about is very similar to Cheez Wiz. It's just a bit thinner and spiced up, slightly. It's probably the same kind you get at a convenience store at 2 a.m. after bar hopping the night.

btw, I hope your culinary skills have improved ;)
Oh there is nothing wrong with my culinary skills! This recipe-
Look at all the wonderful reviews! I was so happy to make it when I got a Vitamix, even though reading it, the ingredients sounded awful, and I'm really really good at descerning whether something will be good by the ingredients. It was exactly as I'd expected. Terrible.
Even my son who often likes things I don't-like the carrot-potato cheez sauces couldn't stomach this.
It did however remind me of the high school football game concession stand pump cheese. Maybe that's what people like?

Reactions: KLS52
That does sound absolutely vile but looks really good! I’m afraid to try it. Maybe if I reduce the amount I would try a small amount of it. But seriously, it sounds disgusting (to me) just by going by the ingredients.

But I didn’t like the potato/carrot cheese sauce either.

Oh there is nothing wrong with my culinary skills! This recipe-
Look at all the wonderful reviews! I was so happy to make it when I got a Vitamix, even though reading it, the ingredients sounded awful, and I'm really really good at descerning whether something will be good by the ingredients. It was exactly as I'd expected. Terrible.
Even my son who often likes things I don't-like the carrot-potato cheez sauces couldn't stomach this.
It did however remind me of the high school football game concession stand pump cheese. Maybe that's what people like?
I have tried some version of the potato-carrot "cheese" sauce, and I agree that it's terrible! :D

@silva

But she sounds so convincing and sincere ;)
I like her, that's why I tried it, but I honestly haven't liked much of what she does, but, she has given me inspiration to make things healthier.
I do like potato cauliflower sauce bases, with lots of nooch, lemon and garlic salt. I have to admit though, some vegan mayo makes everything like that better

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
That does sound absolutely vile but looks really good! I’m afraid to try it. Maybe if I reduce the amount I would try a small amount of it. But seriously, it sounds disgusting (to me) just by going by the ingredients.

But I didn’t like the potato/carrot cheese sauce either.
Oh yeah, it makes a ton as written. I was so excited to try this magical dip I made the whole thing. I can't remember last throwing food out like that

• Friendly
Oh yeah, it makes a ton as written. I was so excited to try this magical dip I made the whole thing. I can't remember last throwing food out like that
Wasting food is awful. I’ve been burnt so many times by buying new vegan products and having to throw them away. I hate it.

Wasting food is awful. I’ve been burnt so many times by buying new vegan products and having to throw them away. I hate it.
It really is what you could imagine it is, at least it was for me.
I think I taste more than most people. I have people say "You'll never guess what's in there". Yeah, yeah I can guess. You can't hide veggies from me, or the beans in brownies. Some veggies should just be the veggies they are. Carrots are good as carrots, not masquerading as cheez or hot dogs

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I think I don't care whether people post that their food is vegan or not because I'm so used to talking food with omnivores.
I just focus on the spices and how they talk about putting together and tune out the parts I don't like, thinking of using my subs.
Soy curls, beans, seitan, tofu, tempeh, vegan changes can change any meal. Except brownies (nope)

I made Jill McKeever's cheese sauce before--it was ok maybe even ok+, nice change of pace for me. I used a brand of jarred peppers I was familiar with , and didn't add any salt and used fresh lemon juice. I don't recall if I did the recipe more to taste than her directions.
I seldom use jarred red peppers, but am constantly using oats in all sorts of applications. I'm used to foods with these sorts of ingredients. Only made this once, meant to make it again, just never got around to it. I ate it as a dip and used it like a melted cheese in enchiladas and such. My wife thought it was ok, though not enough for her to completely give up her occasional use of cheese. I would try it again sometime, but might use fresh onions, peppers, and play with the spices a bit. Texture was satisfactory for this sort of thing.
At least in the video Jill McKeever wasn't wearing her bunny ears.

I think what turned me off Most was the oats and cornstarch. I imagine that’s what gives it the texture though.

I’ve been using cashews with nutritional yeast and vegan margarine with great results. The cashews make it more expensive so maybe not as doable for some people. I’m not living off retirement funds yet so I’ll enjoy the luxury while I can.

I wonder what my posts are going to sound like in six months. There will likely be a lot of moaning and whining about finances lol.

I think what turned me off Most was the oats and cornstarch. I imagine that’s what gives it the texture though.

I’ve been using cashews with nutritional yeast and vegan margarine with great results. The cashews make it more expensive so maybe not as doable for some people. I’m not living off retirement funds yet so I’ll enjoy the luxury while I can.

I wonder what my posts are going to sound like in six months. There will likely be a lot of moaning and whining about finances lol.
You can try subbing raw sunflower seeds for all or some of the cashews. I tried it with all and that was too different, but I think I'll try just some
Vegan mayo helps a ton

Are here anyone loving pasta as I do? It can be different, I actually cook it on my own. By the way, speaking of pasta, I'm an absolute pasta lover, I've even bought a Atlas Pasta Machine by Marcato, which is both manual and electric. I've been searching for the best variant for my hobby. I just love cooking, however buying expensive equipment for your hobby is kinda weird, that's why this source was really helpful. It gave a detailed view of the best pasta makers(manual and electric) on the market and helped with the choice. Totally worth looking through!