Food threads - keeping it vegan.

(snip)

To iterate, when I post about a meal that I’ve had, I do not post any food that isn’t vegan but I’ll be more clear going forward and state vegan cheese, boca chicken patty, vegan mayo, etc.

That's cool. I hope you understand how this could be confusing to people reading those threads, because of how some people list.

(snip)

Oh yeah, I don’t even see where it shows what people identify as unless you are simply going by where we might have mentioned it in a particular post.

It's under "Lifestyle" which is under people's usernames here. Some list, some don't.

Reactions: KLS52
I guess veggie views was a very relaxed group . We would shoot the breeze and share our vegan cooking. we always assumed food discussed was vegan.

Well, having never participated there, that is something that I wouldn't know anything about, nor should I be expected to assume (not that anyone is saying that...but I think you get what I'm saying).

It's under "Lifestyle" which is under people's usernames here. Some list, some don't.
Ah got it. So what exactly is an other because I just changed mine to that, haha.
I don’t go into people’s profiles often unless I notice someone hadn’t been around and I want to see when they posted last.
Is there an option to make your profile private like there was on VV? Just curious.

Ah got it. So what exactly is an other because I just changed mine to that, haha.
I don’t go into people’s profiles often unless I notice someone hadn’t been around and I want to see when they posted last.
Is there an option to make your profile private like there was on VV? Just curious.

It's under settings/account details/lifestyle.

Reactions: KLS52
Well, having never participated there, that is something that I wouldn't know anything about, nor should I be expected to assume (not that anyone is saying that...but I think you get what I'm saying).

I do understand that... Probably it might be a vexing change from a vegan board to a board which is not entirely vegan... Hopefully though people adjust. It seems to be necessary as so many people use fb and other big platforms that forums end up merging ... It was easier to make exclusive and large forums before the competition of these giant social platforms. So now things are more mixed up.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
With regard to the OP, is this a real issue? Or are we just stirring the pot here, creating division and more work for the moderators? I've very rarely felt unsure about whether food discussed here (or on Vv) was vegan or not, and I'm a vegan myself, so it's obviously something I care about. Maybe it's because I know the members in question and I know they follow a mostly vegan diet.

With regard to the OP, is this a real issue? Or are we just stirring the pot here, creating division and more work for the moderators? I've very rarely felt unsure about whether food discussed here (or on Vv) was vegan or not, and I'm a vegan myself, so it's obviously something I care about. Maybe it's because I know the members in question and I know they follow a mostly vegan diet.

No stirring the pot. I've only known the members since the merge. I also wasn't trying to pick at anyone or be nitpicky. The two have clarified they were vegan additions in this thread, but as I said, I see no reason why I (or anyone else who doesn't know them, or read this thread) would assume this. If I go to a food related forum and see either an omni or a vegetarian list "cheese" or yogurt or something else of animal origin, I assume it's not, or not necessarily a vegan kind. Don't you?

If I go to a food related forum and see either an omni or a vegetarian list "cheese" or yogurt or something else of animal origin, I assume it's not, or not necessarily a vegan kind. Don't you?
Yes, but this isn't simply a food related forum - it's a forum promoting veganism. And as far as I know, VF.org was never a forum for vegans only, so in that sense nothing changed when it merged with VV.

I might introduce more 'lifestyle' choices for the account details, so members can indicate a bit more accurately where they are on the vegetarian <-> vegan spectrum.

Yes, but this isn't simply a food related forum - it's a forum promoting veganism. And as far as I know, VF.org was never a forum for vegans only, so in that sense nothing changed when it merged with VV.

I have some friends who aren't vegan who I've mentioned here on this forum several times. I've even explained what it meant. Not long after, I was told of a friend of theirs they described as vegan. On probing based on a few things said, it was clarified to me that this person they thought was vegan still regularly consumed cheese.

I told them, that no, cheese was not something a vegan would eat and this was a surprise to them.

There are people in the world to whom the concept of vegan is totally new, and they may have misconceptions as to what it means, even from a basic dietary standpoint. Some of them would not only not understand dietary veganism, but would never have heard of vegan yogurt or cheese, much less assume that is what is meant if they read it in a food or recipe thread here.

If I see someone identifying as a vegetarian post that they are eating yogurt or cheese (spelled or mispelled) and I don't already know they are referring to a vegan version, then would it be reasonable for me to assume they aren't vegan versions? I'm not only speaking from knowledge/lackthereof I may/may not have of members, but also from vegan-curious and newbie perspectives.

I didn't want to call anyone out.

The same could also apply to pasta, bread, crisps etc.....

The same could also apply to pasta, bread, crisps etc.....

Oh come on. Those are products that may or may not contain animal products and although they sometimes do, often don't. Cheese and yogurt are universally understood to be dairy products, unless they are otherwise specified (ie: dairy free/plant based/vegan etc) when the eyes are that of the general public. The only way I even knew for sure they were referring to vegan products is this thread.

in all honesty - people are eating non-vegan things (like dairy and eggs), then they should not appear in at least the food threads, because let's face it, when people are exploring vegan eating, that is one of the first places they are likely to investigate. Besides meat for some, eggs and dairy can be triggers for others.

Can we keep the food threads vegan please? For the sake of all vegans here, all vegan curious, and the namesake itself.

I haven't been on here long enough to notice if people are mentioning eating non-vegan things in the food threads, but I think that is a good idea. I assumed the non-vegan people on here would have been doing that already, honestly.

When I read "cheez", I don't think of the product produced from bovine lactation, but rather of something made from plants.
Not everybody likes the term "Gary".

I thought that by writing cheese as cheez made it clear that it was vegan and not dairy.

When I read "cheez" it reminds me of that disgusting stuff Kraft makes, Cheez-Wiz, which is definitely NOT vegan. When I was a kid that stuff was popular to put on celery sticks. I always used peanut butter instead, and still do. So I guess it depends on what part of the world you live in.

I see people occasionally using "Mylk" now to spell the word, so as not to upset all those hard working dairy industry folks. At the end of the day,, I don't care what it's called as long as it's dairy free.

When I read "cheez" it reminds me of that disgusting stuff Kraft makes, Cheez-Wiz

OMG, we never got that incredible technological breakthrough in Europe.
Guess we are all still luddites at heart over here as it comes to dairy products (and now non-dairy cheezes).

• Haha
Reactions: PTree15
When I read "cheez" it reminds me of that disgusting stuff Kraft makes, Cheez-Wiz, which is definitely NOT vegan. When I was a kid that stuff was popular to put on celery sticks. I always used peanut butter instead, and still do. So I guess it depends on what part of the world you live in.

I see people occasionally using "Mylk" now to spell the word, so as not to upset all those hard working dairy industry folks. At the end of the day,, I don't care what it's called as long as it's dairy free.

Point taken. :)

Maybe we can have individual posts flagged as vegan or vegetarian to make it clear at the start of the post what kind of food is being discussed. Not sure how much work that would be to implement but that would provide clarity/trigger warning while still allowing everyone to participate in the same space.