First few days of being a Vegan

CaraT2974

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi, me and my partner have decided to adopt a vegan diet over the course of the next few weeks. It’s currently day three and I’m really suffering with swollen fingers. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, we are both feeling really tired. We are making sure to eat lentils beans, veggies, fruit, nuts etc and I’m wondering if it’s something I’m lacking in my diet? Or that it’s just normal for the first few days and part of the detox process. I’m concerned about the swelling mainly.
Many thanks, Cara

It would take months, at a minimum, for any kind of deficiency to show up.

Any kind of swelling in your extremities has to do with blood circulation and/or water retention.

As said above, high sodium intake can be a factor, as well as lack of movement (being stationary for a period of time) or general lack of exercise (leading sedentary lifestyle).

For instance, if I wear a ring, it will be snug when I first wake up in the morning, and loose by midday. Those are just my personal fluctuations.

Once, in my younger days, I sat on a hard wood kitchen chair for a long evening of playing cards. When the evening ended and I got up, my feet felt odd. I looked down, and they were grossly swollen. It was a combination of the edge of the chair cutting off proper circulation in my legs and my lack of movement.

Most people don't realize how big of a role the movement of the large leg muscles play in the circulatory system.

If you're worried, or if it persists, see a doctor and have your blood pressure and heart checked out.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
As far as being tired, are you eating enough calories? Enough fats?

IMO, the whole "detox" thing is a bunch of whooey.

People get so freaked out over going vegan (or vegetarian) that they ascribe all kinds of powers to it, whether for good or for ill. They scrutinize everything about their bodies that they normally don't even think about, and they see major differences because they expect there to be major differences.

Everybody's been eating vegan all their lives. They've just been eating a bunch of crap in addition to the vegan food. Now they just need to eat some different oils to substitute for the fats in flesh and dairy, eat some more legumes, nuts, and other higher in protein foods, etc.

Eat sensibly, eat enough, and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Lou
welcome to the forum Cara and congrats to both of you for your decision!

As many have stated above, there is almost nothing that could affect you so much in such a short time period unless you are eating a lot of salt or your beans aren't cooked enough. Be sure to get lots of starches too, with your veggies, fruits, beans and nuts. Nice whole grain pastas and breads and rice and potatoes and sweet potatoes. Starch converts to glucose which your brain and body need for energy.

Emma JC

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas and Lou
@CaraT2974 ,there are so many reasons that cause swelling to one's fingers. I wouldn't imagine that you have greatly increased your salt intake by eating one or two faux meat products per day.

If it persists you should seek medical attention. :sun:

Reactions: Emma JC
I have attached a vegan chart to assist you with how to eat and servings.
limit amount of processed foods eat healthy vegetables fruits beans and grains
a vegan diet will improve your energy, weight and skin 😊424AB472-97A7-4611-92ED-AA86591609D2.jpeg

Hi, thank you so much everyone for your replies, it’s been really helpful! Both of our energy levels are much better and we are both starting to feel the benefits. Fingers are still swollen but now I understand it’s nothing to do with a vegan diet - I’ll go to the GP if it doesn’t get any better. Thanks again.