February Health Challenge (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been eating great- really following Dr Gregers daily dozen, pretty good! :)
Exercise- not so much. I hate walking outside if the weathers not just right. I get so sneezy and my nose runs constantly.
I have been just jogging on a yoga mat while watching tv.
I'm surprised how much eating wfpb and staying off the sugars and oils increase my stamina, and lung capacity!
I have lost about 8 pounds. The same 8 I lost sometime back - they keep finding me 'cause I can't run enough :rolleyes:

Today I have done much better controlling my food.... if I don't blow it before bed that is!! I walked again. Now walking has become a habit and I will start increasing my speed and perhaps raise the incline eventually.

I walked twice over the weekend with my visitors. We were out a good hour on each walk. I'm dialing back on food big-time. My pants are getting too tight. :D

Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52
I've got 7 k steps in for today - just by cleaning the house, LOL! It's too horrible to go out today - at least I think it is, but we'll see. I feel a bit stir-crazy. :eek:

Reactions: PTree15
*rant*

Here is my main issue with WW...

I have so far consumed 660 calories. I had two cups of coffee, half a protein shake with a tablespoon of peanut butter and half a banana, a salad with a tablespoon each of walnuts and dried cranberries, a serving (2 tablespoons) of salad dressing, and I have already used up 22 points of my 23 daily allotted points. I’m not bashing the system. Just stating how frustrating it is for me because I don’t feel like what I had was unreasonable, yet if I try and eat, what I consider, halfway normal, I gain weight. Sure, for the remainder of the day I can try to eat zero point foods, which, for me, would be tofu with steamed vegetables, any other fruit or vegetable, and that is my frustration. Or maybe have a cup of beans or lentils. But no rice, bread or potato because that would add points.

I’m not arguing the point system. It works. I’ve kept off 22 of 32 pounds for five years now. That’s pretty satisfying in my book. So if I were to abandon the point system and just count calories, it would appear that I could have at least 600 more calories but then I would gain weight. Which I have done over the last 2-3 months because I got tired of tracking so I just tried to eat reasonably. I’m up 8-10 pounds on any given day. So the point counting works. I’m not sure how. But it does. And it annoys me that if I were to eat meat/fish/eggs it would be easier becasue those are all zero points. My zero points are more calories and while beans are zero, they are carbs. So the body processes it differently.

I’m tired of the deprivation but I’m not giving up. I just needed to vent. I’m going to go back to tracking my points.

*rant*

I have so far consumed 660 calories. I had two cups of coffee, half a protein shake with a tablespoon of peanut butter and half a banana, a salad with a tablespoon each of walnuts and dried cranberries, a serving (2 tablespoons) of salad dressing, and I have already used up 22 points of my 23 daily allotted points. I’m not bashing the system. Just stating how frustrating it is for me because I don’t feel like what I had was unreasonable, yet if I try and eat, what I consider, halfway normal, I gain weight. Sure, for the remainder of the day I can try to eat zero point foods, which, for me, would be tofu with steamed vegetables, any other fruit or vegetable, and that is my frustration. Or maybe have a cup of beans or lentils. But no rice, bread or potato because that would add points.

I’m not arguing the point system. It works. I’ve kept off 22 of 32 pounds for five years now. That’s pretty satisfying in my book. So if I were to abandon the point system and just count calories, it would appear that I could have at least 600 more calories but then I would gain weight. Which I have done over the last 2-3 months because I got tired of tracking so I just tried to eat reasonably. I’m up 8-10 pounds on any given day. So the point counting works. I’m not sure how. But it does. And it annoys me that if I were to eat meat/fish/eggs it would be easier becasue those are all zero points. My zero points are more calories and while beans are zero, they are carbs. So the body processes it differently.

I’m tired of the deprivation but I’m not giving up. I just needed to vent. I’m going to go back to tracking my points.

Well done. I couldn't keep up with those points - never liked maths.:p

Reactions: KLS52
*rant*

Oh I get it. I had to give up nuts and nut butters in order to lose weight. :( I can eat them when I'm maintaining, but not when I'm trying to lose. Those nuts are probably killing your points, I would guess. I also don't generally eat salads when I'm trying to lose, just because of the stupid fat in salad dressings (and I don't generally like the lower calorie dressings).

Just for comparison, I keep track of my diet on the fit bit app. It's calorie/exercise based. I am on the slowest weight loss track , which I think is a 250 calorie deficit a day plan, and am losing weight at a glacially slow rate, but it does work even if it's not much fun. Of course, days I exercise are easier as I have more calories to spend. But when I think about it, I've actually changed my diet a lot! I've given up creamer and agave in coffee, "cheese" on my sausage English muffin morning sandwiches, switched to 70 calorie per slice bread, stopped eating pb and cashews, given up white pasta and rice, afternoon snack is limited too 100 calories, no more wine with dinner at home, and I rely on Amy's 280 calorie tamale meal for dinner when hubby is traveling. I've now lost 17 pounds since this time last year and am down two pants sizes. But it's been hard!!!

I saw a picture of myself taken at a workshop last year and I was horrified at how dowdy and fat I looked. That picture, combined with the fact that next year I'll turn sixty was a real wake-up call that I need to get my health in order if I want to remain active and be the kind of grandmother I want to be. :) Dieting is no fun, no matter what plan you're on - so I guess this is the end of my rant too.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52 and Val
I think I need to just quit pasta. I always to overeat it till I get all sleepy,
I now made whole wheat linguine with veggies and I want yet another bowl!
I don't find a portion satisfying, only too much is satisfying

I think I need to just quit pasta. I always to overeat it till I get all sleepy,
I now made whole wheat linguine with veggies and I want yet another bowl!
I don't find a portion satisfying, only too much is satisfying
I feel the same way. With stupid WW I have to measure one cup...one cup! That’s totally not satisfying for me.

:rofl:One cup of pasta :rofl:
Cooked? Why bother?
I mean I can understand that being a serving, with veggies, but I don't ever want a cup. I want a plate, followed by another plate.

I really it is like a drug for me. Feels so good falling asleep afterwards

Oh I get it. I had to give up nuts and nut butters in order to lose weight. :( I can eat them when I'm maintaining, but not when I'm trying to lose. Those nuts are probably killing your points, I would guess. I also don't generally eat salads when I'm trying to lose, just because of the stupid fat in salad dressings (and I don't generally like the lower calorie dressings).

Just for comparison, I keep track of my diet on the fit bit app. It's calorie/exercise based. I am on the slowest weight loss track , which I think is a 250 calorie deficit a day plan, and am losing weight at a glacially slow rate, but it does work even if it's not much fun. Of course, days I exercise are easier as I have more calories to spend. But when I think about it, I've actually changed my diet a lot! I've given up creamer and agave in coffee, "cheese" on my sausage English muffin morning sandwiches, switched to 70 calorie per slice bread, stopped eating pb and cashews, given up white pasta and rice, afternoon snack is limited too 100 calories, no more wine with dinner at home, and I rely on Amy's 280 calorie tamale meal for dinner when hubby is traveling. I've now lost 17 pounds since this time last year and am down two pants sizes. But it's been hard!!!

I saw a picture of myself taken at a workshop last year and I was horrified at how dowdy and fat I looked. That picture, combined with the fact that next year I'll turn sixty was a real wake-up call that I need to get my health in order if I want to remain active and be the kind of grandmother I want to be. :) Dieting is no fun, no matter what plan you're on - so I guess this is the end of my rant too.

Well done for your weight loss.:up: Do you feel deprived or happy with your food plan ?

:rofl:One cup of pasta :rofl:
Cooked? Why bother?
I mean I can understand that being a serving, with veggies, but I don't ever want a cup. I want a plate, followed by another plate.

I really it is like a drug for me. Feels so good falling asleep afterwards
Exactly! It’s absurd how small serving sizes are!

I was watching a BBC show (Eat Well for Less) the other day and a nutritionist was showing what the "correct" portion sizes are! So tiny, I've never seen anyone eat that little, it looked like a kid's portion.:oops::D

Reactions: KLS52
I was watching a BBC show (Eat Well for Less) the other day and a nutritionist was showing what the "correct" portion sizes are! So tiny, I've never seen anyone eat that little, it looked like a kid's portion.:oops::D

I saw that particular programme. I only know 2 people in RL who eat such portions and they are both skinny.:p

I particularly liked the couple on that show. The lady was continuously smiling and so happy with there new meal
'discoveries'. :p

I saw that particular programme. I only know 2 people in RL who eat such portions and they are both skinny.:p

Do they eat like that normally or they are trying to maintain their weight? I would feel hungry and deprived if I ate like that.

On the British forum I'm on, a lot of people on there do the 5:2 diet plan and some of them have lost a ton of weight and they say it is very easy to follow. It is the diet plan by British journalist Michael Mosley.

The Beginner’s Guide to the 5:2 Diet

Do they eat like that normally or they are trying to maintain their weight? I would feel hungry and deprived if I ate like that.

On the British forum I'm on, a lot of people on there do the 5:2 diet plan and some of them have lost a ton of weight and they say it is very easy to follow. It is the diet plan by British journalist Michael Mosley.

They want to be thin for the rest of their lives.

I agree about feeling hungry when you eat such small portions. It would seem that some people have more willpower than others according to the two ladies in question.

I have also heard about the 5/2 diet. I must read the article.

I particularly liked the couple on that show. The lady was continuously smiling and so happy with there new meal
'discoveries'. :p

They want to be thin for the rest of their lives.

I agree about feeling hungry when you eat such small portions. It would seem that some people have more willpower than others according to the two ladies in question.

I have also heard about the 5/2 diet. I must read the article.

Foodwise - deprived, weight loss - happy. ;)

That’s exactly what it’s like on WW. When the self control kicks in, its all good and works great. But as soon as I start to not pay attention and eat whatever I feel like eating, the weight creeps back up.

Poppy is correct in her assessment. It’s exactly how it is for me. Only it’s not 100% happiness. It’s short lived because the deprivation ends up winning out. Then I’m happy but only while I’m actually eating, hahahahaha. As soon as I’m finished I’m disgusted with myself because the weight is going to go up and then I’m miserable again. It’s a vicious cycle. It would be great if I could get to the point of acceptance and be ok with an extra 10-15 pounds. But that’s never the case. I fear that’s not going to change without extensive therapy and I’m just not up for that, lol. So I will continue the battle!

I haven't lost any more weight (no big shocker as I haven't been trying, lol) so I think I will have to follow WW points too. That is how I lost a lot of weight (years ago now!) and I can do it if I eat a lot of low calorie food like veggies to fill up.

I was trying to think how I used to eat back then.

I think I would have toasted crumpets/toast for breakfast and then a smoothie about 11 and then a low calorie meal like a bowl of soup and a roll or salad and mock meat for lunch and then a normal dinner with lots of steamed veggies in the evening.

Eating 4 times a day so I didn't get that hungry. I used to drink a lot of green tea too.

We shall see how it goes this time.:lol:

Reactions: Val and KLS52
Status
Not open for further replies.