Announcement Featured Threads

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Dear friends! :)

VV now has a new feature to "feature threads", which means the thread gets tagged as "featured" and is prominently displayed around the forum.

The idea is to use this as a way to promote exceptionally well written posts or particularly important information. Mostly, I expect it will be used for threads related to veg*ism, animal advocacy and similar "core" VV topics. If there is a featured thread you particularly like, you might want to consider sharing it with your friends & followers on social media. (Conveniently, there are several social media share buttons available on the featured threads.)

I've started off by converting two of our old wiki articles into threads. (Since nobody has really ever used the wiki, I'm planning to get rid of it).

The system only allows me to feature the OP of a thread, so if I see something I like in the middle of a thread, I'll probably just ask the poster if they're willing to post it in a new thread.

Note that once you feel you've seen enough of a certain featured thread, you can dismiss it by using the little menu in the top right of the featured area.

Nifty!

I do have some dumb questions: Once I "dismiss" a featured thread, will it simply collapse it, or remove it permanently? Can I get it back? If I dismiss one featured thread, is that it for all featured threads, or will I be able to see the next thread that's featured? If I dismiss one featured thread and there are others, will the next featured thread automatically appear, or would I have to refresh the page to get it?

Nifty!

I do have some dumb questions: Once I "dismiss" a featured thread, will it simply collapse it, or remove it permanently? Can I get it back? If I dismiss one featured thread, is that it for all featured threads, or will I be able to see the next thread that's featured? If I dismiss one featured thread and there are others, will the next featured thread automatically appear, or would I have to refresh the page to get it?
I'm not entirely sure, as it's new to me as well, but I think once you've dismissed it, it won't be displayed in the "featured" area again. You can of course still find the thread within the forum, just like any other thread. And it's possible to get a list of featured threads (including those you've dismissed) if you click the Featured Threads link under the forum menu at the top of the page. Also, when you're dismissing, you're dismissing only the thread displayed. So the other featured threads will still appear in the "featured" area.

From now on threads (in the public forums) can become featured automatically if the OP has received a small number of likes + a small number of replies + views.

We'll see how it goes, I might have to fine tune the settings a bit.