New feature: Google authorship

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've just installed a feature called Google authorship. So now, if you want, for threads of your choice where you're the OP, you can get a little head shot of yourself next to their entry in Google search results.

The requirements for this to happen are:
  1. You need a Google Plus account, and the profile name along with a link to this account need to go into your VV settings under Contact Details: "Google Plus Author Name" and "Google Plus Link" correspondingly.
  2. You need a link to http://forum.veggieviews.com in the Contribute To section of your Google Plus account.
  3. You need to post links on your Google Plus page to each individual thread for which you want to be credited.
Note that it will probably take a little while before Google registers the threads, I'm guessing approx. a week.

Of course your authorship works across multiple sites, so if the authorship feature is enabled on another web site where you post (such as on your personal blog), then Google recognizes you as the author of all that content. If your posts/content are shared and "+1"ed on G+ then that increases their Google search ranking, but it also contributes towards your authorship ranking, which means all your content will get a boost in search ranking. (And yes, I know, sounds a bit like a popularity contest, doesn't it?)

In this day and age of increasing privacy concerns, it is of course up to each one of us to decide if and how to use a feature like this. Let me just say that it's entirely possible to sign up to a Google Plus account using a pseudonym. (It has to look like a real name though.)

Edit: Here is an example of a Google search page with an authorship entry:
google_authorship.jpeg