Favourite Week End Meals/Bakes

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Do you have any particular favourite dishes or bakes on week ends that you normally don't eat during the week days ?

I find that it I'll make something in the slow cooker or either a last minute store cupboard dish because I have no schedule during the week ends. I always have a tipple which is either a cocktail or a glass of wine usually before having my meal. :D

My favourite week end meals are curries, stuffed pasta shells in tomato sauce, sweet potato fries,spinach & cashew cream bake. During the summer months, I like to make corn tortillas with guacamole and huge quinoa salads.

I tend not to bake during week ends and will opt for either fruit salad with yogurt for dessert and very occasionally some Alpro ice cream. The exception being, during the colder winter months, make a huge batch of Norwegian buns.

:lick:

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I like to bake scones or muffins or quick breads on the weekend. I love having a scone with tea or coffee when I have time for a more relaxed breakfast. I like to make pancakes as well and do a brunch with home fries or a tofu scramble.

For dinners on the weekend, I like to make savory pies, soups and dishes that might require a little more work than I have time for during the week, like barbecue tofu or veggie pot pie. I also like to cook in batches on the weekends when I have time. It's a good time to make things like bean burgers, mock crab cakes and seitan. It makes it easier during the week to have my protein sources already made. Then I can add all the veggies when needed.

In the summer, I love fruit salads, pasta salads and just regular salads with different vegetables. I also have a favorite pasta pesto dish that is topped with a tomato, onion and basil salad. It can be eaten warm or at room temperature. I don't bake much in the summer, but I do make the scones on the weekend because they only bake for 15 minutes. :D

• Love
Reactions: shyvas
I forgot about pies. :grinning: I usually will also batch cook and make some Cornish style pasties,sausage rolls, pies and pizza during the week ends.

Reactions: PTree15
I have getting kind of bored of our typical week night dinners. We have been using the crock pot way more lately which has helped but there are still 2-3 nights a week where we end up eating pasta or stir fry.
So what are your relatively easy week night go-tos?

I have getting kind of bored of our typical week night dinners. We have been using the crock pot way more lately which has helped but there are still 2-3 nights a week where we end up eating pasta or stir fry.
So what are your relatively easy week night go-tos?
I think the key to mixing it up during the week is having a couple of key staples at the ready. I like to cook on Sunday afternoons in preparation for the week when I can, especially now that I work mostly at night. I make a main protein for the week (either seitan, tofu, lentils, or bean burgers, etc.) and then come up with different ways to eat them. For example, if you make seitan, it can be eaten in slices with sides of veggies and rice or potatoes; you can cut it up and put it in a veggie stir-fry; you can chop it up in the food processor (if you have one) to make tacos or add it to sauce. Also, you can play with sauces. I make mustard sauces, veggie broth-based gravies, etc. A couple of weeks ago, I made a stew with chunks of seitan that was really delicious.

Bean burgers, for example, can be crumbled and made into tacos, wraps, added to pasta dishes, etc. I also love sandwiches, and my favorite is panini with wilted greens, a vegan cheese and some form of protein. They are so filling and satisfying.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
Oh my, yes!
Seitan is always a weekend thing.'
soups and stews, casseroles. Soy yogurt, which takes some plannings
BBQ jackfruit ribs! I made those Sunday and we ate all the same day :fp: . I miss them so much...
Tofu quiche on hash brown crust.
The vegan coffee cake made with silken tofu with the cinnamon walnut struesel
These are the jackefruit ribz I like-

Reactions: PTree15
Oh my, yes!
Seitan is always a weekend thing.'
soups and stews, casseroles. Soy yogurt, which takes some plannings
BBQ jackfruit ribs! I made those Sunday and we ate all the same day :fp: . I miss them so much...
Tofu quiche on hash brown crust.
The vegan coffee cake made with silken tofu with the cinnamon walnut struesel
These are the jackefruit ribz I like-
I keep meaning to try the quiche with a hash brown crust. That sounds so good.