Overwhelmed and not sure where to start

@Lillibby just a quick update for you regarding Type II diabetes and carbs - it is not the starches/carbs that cause Type II diabetes it is the oils and the high fat content on our diets that does so - you can check out the research out there on various websites including the Physician's Committee and Dr Neal Barnard etc - fat in our cells in our bodies block the ability of insulin to do the work of changing sugars into glucose for our body to use and therefore the sugars stay in the blood which leads to high blood sugar levels.... so it isn't the starches that you should cut out it is the oils and the high fat content foods - good starches like potatoes, and whole grains, brown rice, etc are a good source of energy - it is processed foods like donuts which are a combo of starch/sugar/oil that are called "carbs" that are the issue and it isn't the flour in the donut that is the issue, nor is it really the sugar, it is the oil/sugar combo

our bodies need fats and you can get that from whole foods like avocado, nut butters, tahini, nuts and seeds (in moderation) and it is possible to recover from Type II diabetes by cutting back on the oils/fats, maybe you can pass this info to your FIL and see if it is helpful to him - he should inform his doctor as he may need to gradually cut back on any medications that he may be taking for his diabetes

here is a link to Dr Barnard's webpage on the topic Diabetes

Emma JC
Thank you Emma.

I read a lot for him on type 2 and on DJ stars ukforum so many do a high day, low carb diet and have reversed their diabetes. I asked some questions and they said that it’s high carb diets that lead to diabetes as carbs turn to glucose. So even white potatoes etc are an issue according to them. I’d heard of the Dr Bernard findings in dishates and diary but they of course said tinsss false and that low carb high fat improves diabetes along with eating lots of healthy foods, cutting out sugar etc

It is hard to know what the right advice is isn’t it.

Thank you Emma.

I read a lot for him on type 2 and on DJ stars ukforum so many do a high day, low carb diet and have reversed their diabetes. I asked some questions and they said that it’s high carb diets that lead to diabetes as carbs turn to glucose. So even white potatoes etc are an issue according to them. I’d heard of the Dr Bernard findings in dishates and diary but they of course said tinsss false and that low carb high fat improves diabetes along with eating lots of healthy foods, cutting out sugar etc

It is hard to know what the right advice is isn’t it.

not really.... follow the science and the studies

our bodies and brains need glucose, what it doesn't need is excess sugar in the blood... if the sugar is not allowed to be turned into glucose then the challenges of high blood sugar/Type II diabetes start.... it isn't the sugar, it's the fat just like it isn't the potatoes, it's the butter and it isn't the bread it's the butter....

I used to work for the Diabetes Association years ago and so I am well aware that the prevailing theory for decades has been that sugar is the problem, yes processed sugars are not ideal and yet it is not the primary cause of Type II Diabetes. Even people with Type I Diabetes may benefit by eating less oil/fats/processed foods and eating more whole foods.

I don't know who DJ stars is or what ukforum you are referring to, I would suggest following the doctors and the science itself and that includes not taking my word for it but doing the research.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou