Experience with vegan milk machines?

xbluebird

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I was thinking about buying a soymilk machine to make tofu at home more easily. Does anyone have one and think that it's worth it compared to plant-based milk made in the blender?

I was thinking about buying a soymilk machine to make tofu at home more easily. Does anyone have one and think that it's worth it compared to plant-based milk made in the blender?
I don't have personal experience but I researched it as much as I could.
For now I have decided not to get one. I drink so much soy milk each week I probably would have to make soy milk everyday - and that seems like too much trouble. Although it would pay for itself pretty quick.
there are at least three other threads that are probably worth checking out.
the everything non-dairy thread is sort of long, but there are a few posts on soy milk making. Maybe use the search function to zero in on them.

Let me know what you think/decide

Reactions: Emma JC
I used to use my SoyaJoy G4 about once a week.
You add the bean to soak overnight (not required, but I always did), next day push button and it cooks them and grinds them. You will need to strain with a fine mesh strainer or nut bag.
It is easier than grinding and cooking the beans, and you only have one thing to clean. It makes 1 liter.
It also does raw nut milk as well as veggie soup/broth.

I stopped using it when I realized I couldn't make it work for soy yogurt. I have no idea why not, as you need just plain beans and water milk,but it's a known thing-I've tried every tip.
Anyway, I've been buying Trader Joes shelf stable for like $2 a quart to make yogurt with. My son prefers oat and i don't use enough to use it much anymore

And the okara! There are many things to make with the pulp. Burgers, seitan, baked goods. I have to say I did get tired of using it!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I am looking to buy a milk maker and looking at the Mila or the joyoung dj010, however, you can't get hold of the joyoung in this country (UK). The Mila has a strainer on it, and I wanted to avoid that, as it takes the goodness out of the drink, surely? e.g. hazelnut and Almond milk or any other type of milk. The Joyoung is powerful enough to not need this.

Am i barking up the wrong tree, and the filter is irrelevant?

I am looking to buy a milk maker and looking at the Mila or the joyoung dj010, however, you can't get hold of the joyoung in this country (UK). The Mila has a strainer on it, and I wanted to avoid that, as it takes the goodness out of the drink, surely? e.g. hazelnut and Almond milk or any other type of milk. The Joyoung is powerful enough to not need this.

Am i barking up the wrong tree, and the filter is irrelevant?

I did some research on this last year. I think most models require straining - even if they don't include a filter. you just have put it through a "nut bag".

I couldn't find dj010. However a number of JoYoungs have filterless designs. I've read a few reviews that claim the milk comes out gritty but I'm not sure I trust customer reviews anymore.

Some of the other machines that don't have filter or require strainers are the
Tayama and the Idavee Presto

I did some research on this last year. I think most models require straining - even if they don't include a filter. you just have put it through a "nut bag".

I couldn't find dj010. However a number of JoYoungs have filterless designs. I've read a few reviews that claim the milk comes out gritty but I'm not sure I trust customer reviews anymore.

Some of the other machines that don't have filter or require strainers are the
Tayama and the Idavee Presto

Thanks Lou, think you're right. The mila looks reasonable value but in UK they've only got the 600ml, same price in Europe is the 1l with 25% more power in the motor, but cause of Brexit, no one's shipping to UK (was always going to happen).

I'll check out what you sent me.

Thanks 👍

Reactions: Lou
Thanks Lou, think you're right. The mila looks reasonable value but in UK they've only got the 600ml, same price in Europe is the 1l with 25% more power in the motor, but cause of Brexit, no one's shipping to UK (was always going to happen).

I'll check out what you sent me.

Thanks 👍
Let me know when you can "review" one. :)

I just saw this article on this new product.
So I'm back to thinking of getting a machine. The last time I considered it I decided against it. But now, soy milk has gone up in price and it's not always in stock in the stores. In fact, I was just about to compare the prices of cases of redi-paks that you can have shipped.