ESPN makes $5.50 for monthly cable bill

Disney owns them, so cable subscribers are basically subsidizing multiple huge corporations when you account for the sports industry.

Nothing new there. :|.

Disney is very profitable without ESPN, correct? They don't have to do this. Does ESPN really pull in the kind of ratings to make them this powerful? Corporate America never ceases to amaze me.

Well, Disney owns ABC, Marvel comics, every corporation owned by George Lucas as of 2012, and quite a few other things. Disney is in just about every pie where there's money to be had. I'm actually surprised they haven't bought the cable companies yet.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/201...istory-tbs-lifetime-up-mtv-nick-at-nite-fall/
It was the third-highest rated cable network according to this. Does USA con people like this too? I had no idea the History Channel does that well.

From the article:
"The other top rankings pretty much stayed the same as last year with the exception of History Channel, which moved up to fourth place, and TNT, last year’s No. 4, moving to fifth. Scoring its best year ever, History hit cable record ratings late this spring with its Hatfields & McCoys miniseries. With original series like Burn Notice, White Collar and Suits, USA held a good lead over other networks, though it didn’t have a break-out hit this year USA did decline 10% in total viewership and 13% in the 18-49 demographic compared with last year."

That pretty much explains it.

Don't hate me, but I actually work at ESPN (the magazine), though I haven't had cable for 20 years, and I'm a sports nut. :D
I manage with free TV, and I admit to missing watching the Boston Bruins regularly, but I just listen to them on the radio (as I did when I was a kid) or catch games when I visit my family (everybody in my family is sports-crazy). I refuse to shell out more than 100 bucks so I can watch endless amounts of commercials. I even have a hard time watching the few network shows I enjoy when they air live because I can't stand all of the interruptions. I wait and watch it online. I wouldn't mind paying money for cable if there were no commercials and I could pick and choose my own package, but apparently that model isn't profitable enough for the big companies.