Eggs and vegan mac and cheese

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know of any good, healthy vegan alternatives to eggs to fry, boil, poach and hard-boil? Health is an important factor...
Also, have you tried the new Sainsbury’s vegan mac and cheese? If so, what is it like? I have tried a vegan mac and cheese before, and I did not like it...
A massive, massive, massive, massive thank you .
Have the best day and night ever!

Reactions: new vegan
I'm looking for a decent vegan mac and cheese recipe as well.

I decided to cook the "Ultimate Mac and Cheese" one day. There are a lot of recipes on the internet - but i decided to go for the "Ultimate" recipe..

The pics looked great.. And in the comments, i kept seeing the word "yummy" "tasty" "the best ever!" etc.

Well, we followed the recipe, and it looked exactly like the picture (except for the different lighting)..

That's when we discovered after a few months of trying to find recipes or brands that taste like "the original"..we're kind of kidding ourselves. Nutritional yeast does have a "cheesy" flavor", but it doesn't have the gooey, cheese texture. Though, it does look really nice in pics when you're finished cooking.

I would love to hear also, if any there are any vegan brands of Mac and Cheese that don't taste my own cooking.. Nor has a ton of sodium..:worried:

No, I haven't tried Sainsbury Mac and cheese.

As for eggs, Tofu and turamic works well for 'scrambled egg' and sliced tofu on it's own for fried 'egg white' but I don't think their is any 'hard boiled egg' sorry.

Thanks for this recipe. That's a great idea. I was thinking of how to incorporate a higher-protein ingredient into my breakfasts, but all I could come up with was eggs, which I'm not eating. I have heard of scrambled tofu but wasn't totally sure on how to season it. Thanks!

No, I haven't tried Sainsbury Mac and cheese.

As for eggs, Tofu and turamic works well for 'scrambled egg' and sliced tofu on it's own for fried 'egg white' but I don't think their is any 'hard boiled egg' sorry.

There is a new product called " Just Egg". Or maybe it's just called "Egg". It is made by the company Hampton Creek that uses the word "just" before the name of their products. Like Just Mayo. They also make a product called Just Scramble. It's gotten great reviews. Although I'm now thinking that Just Egg and Just Scramble are the same exact thing. Maybe just a name change when they actually started shipping.

There has been a lot of talk about it in the news. I haven't tried it. Honestly, I haven't had any cravings for eggs in a long time but occasionally on Sunday mornings, I whip up a tofu scramble. I do like to support WFPB products and will eventually buy one to see how it is and show them my support with my wallet. I haven't seen it in the stores yet, but I haven't really looked. According to the news, it is already in the stores. And next to the eggs. I think you can also order it online.

Follow Your Heart has had their Vegan Egg product on the shelves for quite a while. It is also next to the eggs in the grocery store. Bob's Red Mill also makes an egg replacement product. I think it's intended to replace eggs in recipes. There is another product called Vegg, too. I think Vegg is just UK. You should just check out what is in your market. Thrive and Amazon carry some of these products, too.

There are also many recipes for making egg -like things at home with basic ingredients. Like my tofu scramble. Or the Chickpea Omelette.

Hopefully, some other forum members have some first-hand experience with one or more of these products. But you should check them out and report back. It might make for a good thread.

[/QUOTE]

Reactions: hopeful
I tried the Just Egg and it's pretty good. Closest to chicken eggs so far as far as texture goes. Only one store has it by me so far and it's $9 a bottle and you don't get that much, maybe as much as four chicken eggs. The follow your heart vegan egg is better for the wallet. You get a lot more from the vegan egg than Just Egg. Both are good.

Reactions: Lou
$9 bucks a bottle??!! Sheesh. I think the Hampton Creek boys really missed the target on that one.

Has anyone tried the Earth Island VeganEgg, in Canada, it may be the Canadian version of Follow Your Heart.

Emma JC

$9 bucks a bottle??!! Sheesh. I think the Hampton Creek boys really missed the target on that one.
It was at a store that jacks the price up on everything. For example the gardein products there are $5+ where at other stores they are a little over $3. It was the only place that had it and I really wanted to try it.

It was at a store that jacks the price up on everything. For example the gardein products there are $5+ where at other stores they are a little over $3. It was the only place that had it and I really wanted to try it.

Costco (at some locations) now sells two bottles for $10. I think each bottle contains the equivalent of 8 eggs.