Egg replacer!

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Reaction score
I have finally got my hands on some egg replacer. I've only been vegan four years!

So what kind of things do you guys use it for? I'm trying to think of things I can't veganise currently, and wondering if this would work. One thing I was wondering is if it would work for Yorkshire puddings?

:)

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
I haven't had any success with vegan Yorkshire puddings :(

I've only ever used it for baking, but baking soda and vinegar works just as well. I haven't bought any egg replacer in years. Sorry this was not a more helpful post :p

I've been timid with egg replacer and have only used it in waffles and cupcakes. I currently have a block of garlic herb flavoured tofu that I intent on coating with fish fry coating, and I'm going to try dipping the tofu slices in egg replacer before dipping them in the coating to help it stick.

I use it mostly for baking. It's great in breads and some cookies.

I've used EnerG egg replacer for years and find it works in nearly all baked goods except boxed brownies. For some reason when I try that, the brownies don't firm up. I am left with liquid goo after baking. But it works great for cakes and cookies. Of course I don't make anything extremely fancy. It wouldn't work in angel food cake or egg white cookies of course.

I'm still trying to find a vegan version of angel food cake that actually tastes good. :(

:( Oh I guess I thought it would be lots better at being an egg than it is, it had a meringue on the front. Would that actually work? Although today I used it to dip falafel in before dipping in breadcrumbs and it worked much better than soyamilk does. Although I think maybe cornflour and water would do the same thing.

Ah well, it's actually much cheaper than I thought it would be, £2.39 for 66 egg-equivalents. I still sort of feel like I'm cheating using it in baking though, I guess it doesn't feel right to be using ingredients that aren't... whole ingredients!

I saw a video where a guy made meringue with EnerG. It was amazing. I keep saying I want to try it because I miss lemon meringue pie but have yet to do so.

I saw a video where a guy made meringue with EnerG. It was amazing. I keep saying I want to try it because I miss lemon meringue pie but have yet to do so.
Where I work, we have made vegan meringues using the water from chick peas. I don't know how it is done but maybe it can be googled. I can say they were very tasty!

Reactions: KLS52
Where I work, we have made vegan meringues using the water from chick peas. I don't know how it is done but maybe it can be googled. I can say they were very tasty!
Yes, “aquafaba” has gained popularity as a great source for making merengue! I tried it once and it whipped up really well but then flopped when I baked it.

Reactions: Brian W
That is a real shame. Have you ever tried them?
I didn’t bother again after that but only because this aging girl tends to be lazy. I’m sure I’d be able to get it right if I really wanted to and gave it some effort.

I didn’t bother again after that but only because this aging girl tends to be lazy. I’m sure I’d be able to get it right if I really wanted to and gave it some effort.
I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I meant have you ever eaten one that somebody else made? If you ever get the chance, go for it.

These are just a few of the amazing creations that are being done using aquafaba.
BF87D195-EF63-4DBA-BBDF-C3CD742EDEFB.jpeg 11B956B2-13CE-4BBC-903E-41C204A58B29.jpeg

42526C2C-EBAA-408A-8BDC-EDBF3118A6A4.jpeg

Reactions: Val
I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I meant have you ever eaten one that somebody else made? If you ever get the chance, go for it.
Oh sorry, lol. :) No I have not. The pictures are from a page I follow on Facebook.

Reactions: Brian W
Wow! I cook chickpeas, but always let the liquid go bad. I've even frozen it and still don't use it for anything but hummus or sauteeing things. I wonder if you could use for an angel food cake! I loved that!

Reactions: Val and KLS52