Dreading a work luncheon this Friday

TofuRobot

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
My department at work is having a luncheon this Friday. The whole department, so it will be weird to opt out. BUT, it's a a rib joint, of all places. I was just out sick for an entire week, so calling in sick isn't an option. They do have grilled veggies (which I'll have to ask for sans oil), but I just don't know how I can sit in a place like that. It's one thing to go to a "regular" restaurant, but a restaurant whose entire theme is built around eating dead animals - ugh. I don't know what to do.... if I could somehow be on Mars that day I would. 😕

condolences.... it's too bad you couldn't find/make some amazing vegan ribs and sneak them in with you and just show them how good they can be without killing cows or pigs - I know what you mean though, it is the surroundings that will be the most difficult and I wish I had a better answer for you - maybe the Gardein beef tips?

Emma JC

Reactions: TofuRobot
My department at work is having a luncheon this Friday. The whole department, so it will be weird to opt out. BUT, it's a a rib joint, of all places. I was just out sick for an entire week, so calling in sick isn't an option. They do have grilled veggies (which I'll have to ask for sans oil), but I just don't know how I can sit in a place like that. It's one thing to go to a "regular" restaurant, but a restaurant whose entire theme is built around eating dead animals - ugh. I don't know what to do.... if I could somehow be on Mars that day I would. 😕

It's very weird that any business would hold a departmental event at a meat house these days. If it's not obligatory, opt out, and tell who ever organized it exactly why. This choice disrespects religious practices, health concerns, and dietary preferences. Very inconsiderate.

It's funny, because on the original email (that must've got sent out when I was sick last week), the person in charge of of coordinating it said "please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions (aka, vegetarian) so we can coordinate with the restaurant ahead of time." There are tons of dishes with cheese, so I guess this makes sense. But really, I'm on the fence about seriously just opting out and saying I'm vegan and it would be really uncomfortable for me just to be in a "rib" restaurant. The entire thing is coming from the very top - it's an educational institution and this luncheon is a 'gift' from the chancellor's office for all of the IT departments district-wide on different days. I'm guessing these folks are [old?] - and just don't even give it a second thought. They are sure everyone wants steak and lobster because why not.

There is this part of me that can't help but think that by that choice I'll be offending literally everyone I work with, and since I'm new and trying to impress people still... It's just such an awkward situation. :(

This is why I'm mostly a shut-in, lol.

Reactions: Emma JC
That doesn't sound fun. But it probably won't be much worse than any other restaurant...I mean, they were gonna be eating dead animals either way. I think any kind of protest would just heighten the sense of alienation.

I hope you go and it turns out to be an otherwise okay time.

That doesn't sound fun. But it probably won't be much worse than any other restaurant...I mean, they were gonna be eating dead animals either way. I think any kind of protest would just heighten the sense of alienation.

I hope you go and it turns out to be an otherwise okay time.

I agree that I hope you go. There are situations around us all the time that are uncomfortable and against our principles and yet we ourselves were there just a few short years ago and so should understand that everyone isn't just going to "get it" overnight. It takes small things to build up and one of those small things may be watching you quietly "not eating animals".

I would suggest that you let the co-ordinator know that you are vegan and that you would like to have something prepared for you that is vegan. We did that at a high end luncheon we went to a couple of years ago and we were served a much nicer meal than everyone else was. It was a mushroom philo pastry dish and was delicious. If you don't ask you won't receive and it is amazing when you let others rise up and help. Maybe it will inspire the restaurant to put a vegan option on the menu going forward....

Let us know what happens!

Emma JC

...I've got a bunch of vegan patches I have been meaning to sew onto a sweatshirt... I should sew them on and wear it. Be all loud and vegan 'n' stuff at a rib joint 😂

• Haha