Do you like kombucha

Veganite

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Has anyone on here ever made kombucha? I tried last summer, but it molded on me. I am not sure what I did wrong, but I want to try making some again. It's such a refreshing summertime beverage. It's just expensive to buy, so I'd rather make my own, if possible.

Any tips or recipes for different flavours?

No, you will never please everyone. Some people don't like sauerkraut or kimchi either. Fermented foods are usually an acquired taste.

I have also tasted homemade ones from friend that I thought was gross too. It really depends on what you mix it with, how much sugar you add, etc. My same friend has made me some that was incredibly delicious. That batch was mixed with fresh pineapple juice. It was so refreshing, and tasty.

It's a bit too close to alcohol for my liking. I might drink it on occasion, but definitely don't like it enough to want to make my own.

That said, Pick Up Limes had a long and very in-depth blog post on making kombucha. Maybe there's some suggestions in there that may help?

Reactions: Veganite
I tried some store bought Kombucha a few times and I didn't like it.

Fair enough.

I'm sure not everyone is going to enjoy it. I acquired a taste for it rather easily, myself. The flavour, brand, sugar content, all play a role in the taste though. I've tried some that I most definitely don't care for. Again, I'm sure for some people it wouldn't matter what you flavored it with. That's just life.

I love kombuca and so does my son. We get gt's or live. I wouldn't make it myself since it would probably spoil on me.

There are a few I have bought that are nice. I tried one a few months ago that was excellent. I may try making some myself after so research. I have an excess of lemons on a lemon tree at home (I'm not at home presently) and it could be a good way of using some of them up.

Reactions: Veganite
I love it. Unfortunately don't know how to make it! I'm guessing it's similar to low-alcohol beer except with fruit? I like peach and mango. I've tried tart cherry but it just kind of tastes more like kombucha than tart cherry juice.

I knew someone who knew someone who made it in LA. Sorry to not be more helpful.