Do you agree with my quotes? (i came up with them myself).

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hi
“Meat-eaters may keep their own animals and care for them. They may claim to love animals. They may not be animal abusers themselves but, at the end of the day, they still contribute to unnecessary animal suffering and animal abuse when buying burgers, ham, bacon, lamb chops, chicken nuggets, roast turkey and other meats.”

“If everyone were vegan, and adopted the principle of kindness for all beings, irrespective of race, religion, nationality or species (and irrespective of whether the beings in question are alive, undead or spiritual), unnecessary cruelty and violence could soon cease to exist.”

“All beings deserve kindness.”

“Strive to be kind towards everyone, whenever you can. There is always a way to be kind to someone. Volunteer for an animal charity. Volunteer at an old people’s home. Donate to an animal charity. Go vegan. You can also be kind towards other beings by not doing things. Don’t step on that bug deliberately (unless you have to). Don’t buy beauty products tested on animals. Don’t go hunting just for sport. Don’t kill even undead beings unless you have to.”
Have a great day!

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
I agree with 1,3 and 4. I think those are good. I'm glad you think that way. :)

I think the second one is a bit debatable since kind veganism wouldn't quickly eliminate all cruelty and violence.

I think it would be better without the reference to undead or spiritual beings. I would remove: "(and irrespective of whether the beings in question are alive, undead or spiritual)" and also remove "Don’t kill even undead beings unless you have to." I don't know even know what you mean here and neither will some others, so that will distract from your point.

People are going to be like "do you believe in ghosts or zombies" or something and that will distract from your message of kindness. Fair enough if you believe in the undead, but my point is to separate these two issues if you want to promote veganism and kindness. If you want to argue that the undead exist, argue that separately rather than arguing two things at once. Conflating the two things like that is confusing and not helpful to be honest.

I would live in your perfect world is it existed. However, you and I are both confined to the world as it is. Kindness is a wonderful virtue with respect to people, animals, the planet, and all living creatures. It just isn't our history as a species. I think we are a long, long way from a universal kindness and respect for all life. I couldn't agree with your sentiments more but again, that world is as real as unicorns and dragons. Nice thoughts. Now what?

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!
I have to confess to killing cockroaches and any wasp than stings me. We get a lot of cucarachas here in Spain at certain times of year. We are only 9 miles from north Africa at the closest point and there are even more over there. We also get quite a few snakes but I quite like them. These likes and dislikes are not entirely rational.

I agree with 1,3 and 4. I think those are good. I'm glad you think that way. :)

I think the second one is a bit debatable since kind veganism wouldn't quickly eliminate all cruelty and violence.

I think it would be better without the reference to undead or spiritual beings. I would remove: "(and irrespective of whether the beings in question are alive, undead or spiritual)" and also remove "Don’t kill even undead beings unless you have to." I don't know even know what you mean here and neither will some others, so that will distract from your point.

People are going to be like "do you believe in ghosts or zombies" or something and that will distract from your message of kindness. Fair enough if you believe in the undead, but my point is to separate these two issues if you want to promote veganism and kindness. If you want to argue that the undead exist, argue that separately rather than arguing two things at once. Conflating the two things like that is confusing and not helpful to be honest.
I do believe in vampires, ghosts and demons. Although I have anxiety about them, I also greatly love them, and I believe that we should be kind to them (except when we absolutely have to be not-kind). I think that our kindness should be extended to them and not just living beings, should one come across them (except, of course, if we absolutely have to be violent, like for self defence).

Reactions: rogerjolly
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!
I have to confess to killing cockroaches and any wasp than stings me. We get a lot of cucarachas here in Spain at certain times of year. We are only 9 miles from north Africa at the closest point and there are even more over there. We also get quite a few snakes but I quite like them. These likes and dislikes are not entirely rational.
Don’t kill wasps or cockroaches unless you have to. Have you ever considered that the wasps may be stinging in self-defence, or in defence of their young? Cockroaches are only as dirty as their environment, apparently. They also groom themselves a lot. Just because some people are grossed out, or creeped out, by them, doesn’t mean that they are not deserving of at least some kindness...

Don’t kill wasps or cockroaches unless you have to. Have you ever considered that the wasps may be stinging in self-defence, or in defence of their young? Cockroaches are only as dirty as their environment, apparently. They also groom themselves a lot. Just because some people are grossed out, or creeped out, by them, doesn’t mean that they are not deserving of at least some kindness...
I should have said that I have never intentionally killed a wasp, I have killed one unintentionally (it was hiding in a cup) and due to the pain I was experiencing I felt no guilt at the time. I had no problem with cockroaches when I lived in the UK because I never encountered them there. In Spain they are a fairly common problem at certain times, they are particularly obnoxious when they take up residence in your kitchen while you are on holiday. I would not want to eat any food which cockroaches had had access to, so we leave cockroach traps in the kitchen and these kill the cockroaches. I cannot honestly feel any remorse for that because I hate throwing food away when there are people who do not get enough to eat in Spain. I do not mind waking up and finding a lizard crawling over my bare chest (it's hot in Africa!) but I was really grossed out when I found cockroaches crawling over the bed and curtains of my hotel room in Tunisia and the only reason I did not kill them was that they moved too fast!

I should have said that I have never intentionally killed a wasp, I have killed one unintentionally (it was hiding in a cup) and due to the pain I was experiencing I felt no guilt at the time. I had no problem with cockroaches when I lived in the UK because I never encountered them there. In Spain they are a fairly common problem at certain times, they are particularly obnoxious when they take up residence in your kitchen while you are on holiday. I would not want to eat any food which cockroaches had had access to, so we leave cockroach traps in the kitchen and these kill the cockroaches. I cannot honestly feel any remorse for that because I hate throwing food away when there are people who do not get enough to eat in Spain. I do not mind waking up and finding a lizard crawling over my bare chest (it's hot in Africa!) but I was really grossed out when I found cockroaches crawling over the bed and curtains of my hotel room in Tunisia and the only reason I did not kill them was that they moved too fast!
Cockroaches actually clean themselves a lot. They can spread diseases, but so can dogs. They can spread serious diseases but, again, so can dogs. Besides, there are ways of dealing with them that don't involve killing them. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dreamtop-U...09889664&sr=8-16&keywords=cockroach+repellent

Cockroaches actually clean themselves a lot. They can spread diseases, but so can dogs. They can spread serious diseases but, again, so can dogs. Besides, there are ways of dealing with them that don't involve killing them. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dreamtop-U...09889664&sr=8-16&keywords=cockroach+repellent
This Dreamtop insect repellent is a very indiscriminate way of removing insects from your home, even if it does not claim to kill all of them. At a time when we are concerned about the wholesale slaughter of 75% of insects in some European countries, it seems best to tolerate the majority of the thousands of different insects which live happily in our homes and cause us no inconvenience. I have no problem at all with the vast majority of insects living in my cellar, garage, on the balcony, in the walls etc. It's just the occasional cockroach I would want to get rid of. To put it in context, I think I have killed one cockroach this year. However I am happy to welcome into my home all the other insects which I am not even aware of. We need more insects. Without them vegans will soon have no plants to eat. So I think I shall continue to exterminate the very few cockroaches which come too close for comfort. In the meantime the thousands of other species that "cohabit" with me are welcome to stay.

This Dreamtop insect repellent is a very indiscriminate way of removing insects from your home, even if it does not claim to kill all of them. At a time when we are concerned about the wholesale slaughter of 75% of insects in some European countries, it seems best to tolerate the majority of the thousands of different insects which live happily in our homes and cause us no inconvenience. I have no problem at all with the vast majority of insects living in my cellar, garage, on the balcony, in the walls etc. It's just the occasional cockroach I would want to get rid of. To put it in context, I think I have killed one cockroach this year. However I am happy to welcome into my home all the other insects which I am not even aware of. We need more insects. Without them vegans will soon have no plants to eat. So I think I shall continue to exterminate the very few cockroaches which come too close for comfort. In the meantime the thousands of other species that "cohabit" with me are welcome to stay.
Cockroaches can’t help being cockroaches. Surely you could just put on some rubber gloves and humanely put them in a container, and then release them outside?

Cockroaches can’t help being cockroaches. Surely you could just put on some rubber gloves and humanely put them in a container, and then release them outside?
Realistically I cannot see that happening. Cockroaches can move pretty fast and run off into spaces where I can't reach. You either strike fast or let them run away to some other part of the house. Putting them into the garden or the road may seem kinder but the gardens and roads are regularly sprayed with insecticide and I doubt if that is a very humane death. The Spanish have much less hesitation about inflicting pain on animals than I do.
In the early morning the pavements can be littered with snails with very thin shells here. People inevitably tread on them. I do feel guilty when that happens and try to avoid it. But cockroaches move at a much faster pace, which leaves little time for thought about whether to strike or not. Fortunately (or unfortunately) there are far fewer of them left as a result of the spraying. It would probably make more sense to direct your concern at the institutional sprayers of crops and public spaces. In Germany they believe that 75% of all insects have been killed off as a result of spraying with insecticides. This is a truly horrendous disaster.