Do fish feel pain?

I think I've felt pain.....but maybe I just think I have? What is the difference between thinking you've felt pain and really experiencing pain? But such questions get you deep in the Philosophy of mind.

If you're going to discuss pain, maybe you should just accept that you, and we feel pain...if you want to see if you feel pain, kick a rock with your bare foot...;)
Or jab a pin into your hand. Maybe you should do that each time you enter this thread...:D

Reactions: Second Summer
Because there are limits, at least currently, to the computational power of computers. But also ant and fish behavior is much simpler than human behavior and as such its easier to model.

so you think that it is only a matter of time until humans can be replicated by computers?(If we don't peakoil ourselves back to the iron age)

Because there are limits, at least currently, to the computational power of computers. But also ant and fish behavior is much simpler than human behavior and as such its easier to model.

I think I've felt pain.....but maybe I just think I have? What is the difference between thinking you've felt pain and really experiencing pain? But such questions get you deep in the Philosophy of mind.

Having the receptors for pain, and hence being sensitive to damaging stimuli, is not the same as having the ability to suffer. Nobody questions whether fish have capacity for pain, the question is whether they suffer. That is, whether they experience pain. Humans conflate the two because for us pain is always always associated with suffering.

Feeling pain but not "suffering"? That makes no sense. Pain exists so the creature can withdraw from the damaging stimulus and hopefully save its life or limb. If it didn't hurt, if it weren't unpleasant, the fish would not try to avoid it.

If you aren't sure if you've experienced pain, you are one lucky person.

If you're going to discuss pain, maybe you should just accept that you, and we feel pain...if you want to see if you feel pain, kick a rock with your bare foot...
Well, I accept it on some level, but I still wonder what the difference is between a person that really feels and one that merely thinks they feel. Perhaps are subjective experiences are a sort of delusion....a language game of sorts? In any case.....I'm alluding to issues in the Philosophy of mind. I realize what I'm saying sounds nutty to people not familiar with western philosophy.

so you think that it is only a matter of time until humans can be replicated by computers?(If we don't peakoil ourselves back to the iron age)
Yes...only matter of time and, in fact, I think AI rights will likely become a bigger issue than animal rights because AI, unlike non-human animals, will be able to assert themselves.

Last edited:
Feeling pain but not "suffering"? That makes no sense. Pain exists so the creature can withdraw from the damaging stimulus and hopefully save its life or limb. If it didn't hurt, if it weren't unpleasant, the fish would not try to avoid it.
I didn't say feeling pain but not suffering, I said having pain receptors doesn't mean an animal has the ability to suffer. An animal doesn't need to experience pain, that is suffer, to respond to negative stimuli.

Well, I accept it on some level, but I still wonder what the difference is between a person that really feels and one that merely thinks they feel. Perhaps are subjective experiences are a sort of delusion....a language game of sorts? In any case.....I'm alluding to issues in the Philosophy of mind. I realize what I'm saying sounds nutty to people not familiar with western philosophy.

I think not accepting that pain is real, is a kind of dishonesty....if people want to hide in the left-brain with all that kind of nonsense, then can one take their philosophy seriously?
As an exercise, considering pain an illusion, is fine, but like I say, to refute it all you need to do is stick a pin in your hand; it's as simple as that. Doesn't take a towering intellect.

Reactions: ledboots
"Nutty"? Nah. There's another word for it, but it's less friendly. As for western philosophy, I think you will find it is a slightly wider area than Philosophy of Mind.

I didn't say feeling pain but not suffering, I said having pain receptors doesn't mean an animal has the ability to suffer. An animal doesn't need to experience pain, that is suffer, to respond to negative stimuli.
I think it would benefit the discussion if you could substantiate that distinction with some real evidence, especially as it pertains to fish. If it quacks like a duck, what evidence is there to say it's not a duck?

I think not accepting that pain is real, is a kind of dishonesty....if people want to hide in the left-brain with all that kind of nonsense, then can one take their philosophy seriously?
Of course...but I think you'd have to read about it. But the fact that people behave in ways that make you believe they feel pain doesn't mean they actually feel pain.

"Nutty"? Nah. There's another word for it, but it's less friendly. As for western philosophy, I think you will find it is a slightly wider area than Philosophy of Mind.
Sure, there are other words for it, my point is that philosophic considerations typically don't go over well with people not familiar with academic philosophy. Of course western philosophy is wider than the philosophy of mind, but the issues under consideration in this thread are largely those in the philosophy of mind.

I think it would benefit the discussion if you could substantiate that distinction with some real evidence, especially as it pertains to fish. If it quacks like a duck, what evidence is there to say it's not a duck?
The distinction is largely a philosophic one....what would you count as evidence? And not everyone agrees with it, for example, as I alluded to in my other posts there are some that don't think "experience" exists. Though I'm not aware of anybody that has argued that pain receptors are a sufficient condition for the ability to suffer (e.g,, experience pain).

If fish exhibited the complex behavior that mammals do I think it would be reasonable to concluded that they are most likely sentient even though they don't share our brain structure......but they don't so there is no quack.

Last edited:
It takes a very advanced mind to actualy turn pain into 'illusion'.

Anything that can do that is clearly more than sentient.

Anything that can't do that is clearly going to suffer.

It would take an incredibly primitive mind to not understand that.

It takes a very advanced mind to actualy turn pain into 'illusion'.

under hypnosis people can become numb and not feel pain. I suppose someone could use self hypnosis to do the same thing, but I wonder what a fMRI would show going on in the brain. I think the brain may still react to the pain, but consciously the person wouldn't feel it.

To what purpose? How does this address any of the underlying philosophic issues?

do you feel pain? Either you do or you don't, if you are not sure, what about my suggestion of sticking a pin in yourself? You seem to ignore this question...You just claim, pain might be and illusion, all the time. Just stick a pin into yourself and report back, then you can talk about philosophy.

This discussion has a few different facets to it. The initial question is do fish feel pain...which led to sentience...which brought us to suffering.

Suffering is not exclusive to pain in the physical sense. Pain can be of an emotional nature. And there are degrees of pain. I can have a pain in my leg and not feel like I am suffering. Or I can have a pain in my chest and if I think I'm having a heart attack and could die, I'd probably be suffering until a doctor comes in and tells me I have indigestion.

I'm wondering if emotional pain needs to be present in order to constitute suffering. Or if it's even relevant to the discussion. But at least it gets me thinking. Which is good. Even though it hurts my brain. But, don't worry, I'm not suffering. Ha.

So I guess it raises the question, for me, if you hook a fish, it hurts the fish (yet it might not be suffering) then you remove it from water and it can't breathe...so it must know it's in danger of dying. Even if its only reacting to these things, it apparently "knows" on some level that it prefers to live, otherwise fish would all just jump out of the water and commit suicide.

For the record, I'm not being sarcastic, in case it sounds that way. The subject is important to me and I am trying to comprehend what everyone is saying. It just seems to raise more questions than there are answers to.

do you feel pain? Either you do or you don't, if you are not sure, what about my suggestion of sticking a pin in yourself? You seem to ignore this question...You just claim, pain might be and illusion, all the time. Just stick a pin into yourself and report back, then you can talk about philosophy.
I have't ignored the question at all, instead I've ask another question, namely how do I know whether I actually feel pain or merely think I feel pain? What is the difference between a person that actually feels pain and one that merely behaves as if they do? Sticking a pin in myself doesn't address the issue. If you think it does I'd suggest perhaps you aren't appreciating the underlying philosophic issues.

While this topic is a bit of a tangent, its also not, how can we determine whether fish suffer (i.e., experience pain)?

I have't ignored the question at all, instead I've ask another question, namely how do I know whether I actually feel pain or merely think I feel pain?

so you do, and have felt pain, but you can't be sure if it is an illusion?
Do you avoid doing things that would cause you pain?

So I guess it raises the question, for me, if you hook a fish, it hurts the fish (yet it might not be suffering) then you remove it from water and it can't breathe...so it must know it's in danger of dying. Even if its only reacting to these things, it apparently "knows" on some level that it prefers to live, otherwise fish would all just jump out of the water and commit suicide.
In what sense does a fish's behavior indicate that it knows on some level that it prefers to live? A gene that caused fish to just jump out of water wouldn't last long in the fish genome because, obviously, such fish wouldn't pass on their genes. Evolution selects for entities, whether animals or plants, that live long enough to reproduce so the lack of suicidal behavior is just a product of natural selection and doesn't require any awareness on the entities part.

so you do, and have felt pain, but you can't be sure if it is an illusion?
Do you avoid doing things that would cause you pain?
I have never used the word "illusion", that is a word you've used, what I'm asking is how do we know the difference between an entity that actually experiences pain (i.e., has an inner experience of pain) and one that merely behaves as if they feel pain? An entity that behaves as if they experience pain, but really doesn't, would avoid things that cause "pain".