Do fish feel pain?

I read he ate/likes veal....

Had no idea, I just looked it up. Yes, I do find that completely antithetical to Buddhism. Very disappointing.

I did like the quote and thought it was relevant, although I will rethink what I say about him and certainly what he professes. Thich Nhat Hanh is the Buddhist Priest I follow very closely. Live and learn.

I think sentience came before the formation of brains...I believe that evolution formalised, and built structures around what was already there. So even an ant is sentient. Sentience is the way an organism solves problems.
This sounds like a religious belief so not something I have any way of understanding.

Try writing a computer program to solve complex problems.....I suppose ants haven't got a neo cortex either.
If you can't define sentience then how can a fishes behaviour be explained without an appeal to it?
I've written many algorithms that solve "complex problems" and, in fact, its by working in AI that I know that you can model a lot of animal behavior without appeal to anything akin to sentience. Ants, I think, are absolutely fascinating.....but I don't think for a minute they are sentient. The complex behavior we seen in ants is emergent behavior from the interactions of thousands/millions of mindless units following a simple and rigid rule set (e.g., "when smell X is detected, do Y", etc).

As far as the definition of sentience, there is no proper scientific definition, but its something philosophers have dealt with for awhile so there is, at least, a somewhat vague notion.

Not very scientific, although I am among those who believe that there is so much we don't know that I am willing to give the benefit of doubt, especially when a life is at stake.
You seemed to start this thread with the claim that fish are indeed sentient....that is a lot stronger than saying that there is a lot we don't know so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm not bothered by people giving fish the "benefit of the doubt" as there is a lot we don't know, but I think such arguments get a bit absurd when they are applied to animals that lack brains entirely. But since the case of fish is a lot less clear than the case for mammals, I don't think people should spend that much time on fish advocacy. For me the main issue with fish is environmental, farming them involves the same environmental issues as farming other animals and sustainable wild caught fish can be at best consumed very occasionally.

Although it's not like any scientist has not declared fish as sentient beings, see other posts above.
Scientists have all sorts of individual beliefs, their individual beliefs aren't legitimized by being scientists. What matters is the actual evidence and I don't think there is much evidence to point to fish sentience. Do fish react to negative stimuli? Of course...but do they experience suffering? I think that is doubtful.

I've written many algorithms that solve "complex problems" and, in fact, its by working in AI that I know that you can model a lot of animal behavior without appeal to anything akin to sentience. Ants, I think, are absolutely fascinating.....but I don't think for a minute they are sentient. The complex behavior we seen in ants is emergent behavior from the interactions of thousands/millions of mindless units following a simple and rigid rule set (e.g., "when smell X is detected, do Y", etc).

yes, well you can't be sure. Just because you could maybe program a robot to do what an ant does, doesn't mean that an ant isn't sentient. People model human behaviour as well, on computers.
I've watched ants, and there seems to be more going on than rigidly following algorithms.

Do fish react to negative stimuli? Of course...but do they experience suffering? I think that is doubtful.
So when you take them out of water and they are gasping for oxygen, what is that? Just a reaction? They're not suffering? :(

Actually, I was trying to answer my own question and found this. Question now is, do I believe it or not.
Anglers finally off the hook as scientists settle age-old debate over whether fish feel pain | Daily Mail Online

And then this.
Underwater Suffering: Do Fish Feel Pain? - Scientific American

I prefer to err on the side of caution.

I've written many algorithms that solve "complex problems" and, in fact, its by working in AI that I know that you can model a lot of animal behavior without appeal to anything akin to sentience.

what sort of complex problems have you written software to solve?

I am hoping that AI gets to the stage where people don't have to do most of the work that needs doing on this planet, but I would think we are quite some way off, and it might need another kinds of hardware, like neural networks, to really do it. It is one thing to write software to do 'complex' work, but isn't it another thing to have a piece of software be completely autonomous, in the world, like an AI robot?

I think to have truly useful robots, they may well have to be some kind of neural network, based AI, which is actually concious and intelligent. That is what I believe, that the universe is intrinsically conscious and intelligent, and that we are just a product of it, right down to the amoeba level, and without that consciousness, no organism would be able to solve any real problems in the long term, and survive, as independent beings.....make a binary computer AI that can do that, and I will maybe reconsider.

Last edited:
I'm not bothered by people giving fish the "benefit of the doubt" as there is a lot we don't know, but I think such arguments get a bit absurd when they are applied to animals that lack brains entirely.

Unless I misunderstood the "rules" of this forum one should write, within reason, whatever one wants regardless if it "bothers" you or if you think an argument is "absurd." This forum is voluntary, certainly every person has a choice whether or not to read a post. If you enjoy arguing for your position like many of us do, that is great. Please don't make it personal. This country has courts and congress for that.

yes, well you can't be sure. Just because you could maybe program a robot to do what an ant does, doesn't mean that an ant isn't sentient. People model human behaviour as well, on computers.
There is no maybe about it, you can create a robotic ant, but what makes ants so special isn't individual ants but how they interaction. Eusocial ants are, in a sense, a superorganism.

I've watched ants, and there seems to be more going on than rigidly following algorithms.
It does seem that way, but that is what makes them emergent properties. The complex interactions of simple rules can result in complex behavior that is near impossible, computationally, to predict from knowing the rules. One interesting way of seeing this graphically its Conway's game of life:

Unless I misunderstood the "rules" of this forum one should write, within reason, whatever one wants regardless if it "bothers" you or if you think an argument is "absurd."
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here but I never suggested that people shouldn't express their views and I haven't personalized any of the issues.

So when you take them out of water and they are gasping for oxygen, what is that? Just a reaction? They're not suffering?
Breathing, in all animals, is largely unconscious so yes its a reaction. But perhaps you mean the flipping around many fish do when taken out of water but there is no reason why such behavior would require sentience as its a very simple behavior. Of course humans tend to interpret such behavior as suffering but that is because when humans, or mammals, act in such ways they are usually suffering. One has to be careful not to misinterpret the reasons for other animals behaviors, the further they are removed from us evolutionary the less likely the behavior has a common cause.

I prefer to err on the side of caution.
I think that is a perfectly reasonable position in cases, like most fish, where there are still a number of details we don't know but I don't think it makes that much sense to extend to all animals. Or, I should say, its not clear why one would err on the side of caution when it comes to animals that lack central nervous systems but not plant, fungus, etc In both cases there is no known mechanism by which the entities could suffer.

what sort of complex problems have you written software to solve?
I've written a lot of different types of algorithms but professionally mostly dealing with reasoning, that is, getting computers to solve logical problems (both mathematical and otherwise).

In any case, neural nets have been used in AI for decades. They are really good at solving some problems (e.g., vision related) and not so good at solving others.

I wonder how one would program a computer to feel pain.
800px-Panic_button.jpg

what is the difference between humans and fish?

Is it the size of the brain, the complexity of the brain?

If one could simulate a ant or a fish on, or with a computer, then surely one could simulate a human......so as I said, how could one get a computer, or a simulation to feel pain?

Is it the size of the brain, the complexity of the brain?
Size, complexity and structure of the brain.

If one could simulate a ant or a fish on, or with a computer, then surely one could simulate a human......so as I said, how could one get a computer, or a simulation to feel pain?
The computational capacity of the human brain is dramatically greater than an ant or even a fish so being able to simulate the behavior of an ant colony or fish doesn't mean one could simulate a human.

How does a brain feel pain? What is the difference between a person that behaves as if they feel pain but does not and someone that really feels pain?

The computational capacity of the human brain is dramatically greater than an ant or even a fish so being able to simulate the behavior of an ant colony or fish doesn't mean one could simulate a human.

why not?
Surely all you need is a very powerful computer.
How does a brain feel pain? What is the difference between a person that behaves as if they feel pain but does not and someone that really feels pain?
Well, you can tell when someone is acting, or something is real.
I'm sure that you have felt pain, so you know it is a real phenomena. How could you get a computer to feel that?
Obviously you need more than a program that claims that it is in pain.

This article is interesting.
Can animals feel pain?

"Although comparatively simple, fish have recently been shown to possess sensory neurons that are sensitive to damaging stimuli and are physiologically identical to human nociceptors. Fish show several responses to a painful event: they adopt guarding behaviours, become unresponsive to external stimuli and their respiration increases. These responses disappear when the fish are given morphine – evidence that they are, mechanistically at least, directly analogous to pain responses in more complex animals."
~snip~
" Whether animals are conscious, or possess some degree of consciousness, has been endlessly debated, but consciousness is such a subjective experience it is hard to define and to assess. Fish can certainly learn complicated tasks, remember approximately 40 individuals, and measure their size relative to an opponent’s to decide whether to fight them. Therefore, at the very least they must have a sense of how big they are."

Reactions: Second Summer
why not?
Surely all you need is a very powerful computer.
Because there are limits, at least currently, to the computational power of computers. But also ant and fish behavior is much simpler than human behavior and as such its easier to model.

Well, you can tell when someone is acting, or something is real.
I'm sure that you have felt pain, so you know it is a real phenomena. How could you get a computer to feel that?
Obviously you need more than a program that claims that it is in pain.
I think I've felt pain.....but maybe I just think I have? What is the difference between thinking you've felt pain and really experiencing pain? But such questions get you deep in the Philosophy of mind.

"Although comparatively simple, fish have recently been shown to possess sensory neurons that are sensitive to damaging stimuli and are physiologically identical to human nociceptors. Fish show several responses to a painful event: they adopt guarding behaviours....
Having the receptors for pain, and hence being sensitive to damaging stimuli, is not the same as having the ability to suffer. Nobody questions whether fish have capacity for pain, the question is whether they suffer. That is, whether they experience pain. Humans conflate the two because for us pain is always always associated with suffering.