Cups vs ounces-what are Imperial units in cooking?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm confused!

Let's say because of an upcoming birthday and a certain wish list, I was looking for some measuring cups for cooking with both metric and imperial measurements. A common metric measurement would be millilitres (ml). But what would the corresponding imperial unit be? Cups? Or dry/fluid ounces (dry/fl. oz.)?

I was under the impression that cups are an American measurement whereas ounces are an Imperial measurement, and that Imperial measurements are/were used in Britain and Commonwealth countries, i.e. "the Empire". This Wikipedia article appears to support this: Imperial units - Wikipedia - and note that it doesn't have a single mention of "cups"!

However, I really struggle to find measuring cups with anything other than cups and ml measurements. I came across one product on a site which said: "A set of four well-made measuring cups, complete with both metric and imperial measurements for recipes across the pond." And then it has a photo of some measuring cups with ml and cups as the units!!!

HELP!!! :???::???::???::tired:

I'm not too sure whether you are asking on how to mesure liquids? I have a set of cups plus a set of spoons. I also have a set of scales and a measuring jug does does both ml and fl oz.

If you are using a UK recipe liquids are either in ml or tsp/tbs. I've never seen liquid in fl oz in modern recipes.

If you need to convert a recipe US to UK you can also use a chart.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
It's a conversion chart. British recipes use either metric or (still) ounces. Australian recipes also use cups which are different to US ones.
Yes, but it's specifically a conversion chart between metric and imperial units. And cups are surely not considered metric, so it must be Imperial ... But yes, this is only a random conversion chart on the Internet, so it doesn't carry as much weight. (Accidental pun ...!)

Yes, but it's specifically a conversion chart between metric and imperial units. And cups are surely not considered metric, so it must be Imperial ... But yes, this is only a random conversion chart on the Internet, so it doesn't carry as much weight. (Accidental pun ...!)

I don't think so.

It's really not a good idea to use a conversion chart but just to follow a recipe's mesures.