Cupboard essentials

Alexia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I think it's always good to have some back up staples for snacks and to make up quick meals. Please feel free to add to the list;
  • Pasta/noodles
  • Rice
  • Sweetcorn /cans
  • Frozen veggies
  • Lentils
  • Baked beans
  • Tomatoes tinned or puree
  • Flour
  • Stock cubes

I always have to have crispbread in the house. It is always great to slather something on it when you feel a bit hungry and do not feel like cooking.

Rice noodles should be on there for sure.
All manners of oils.

Oh, and my every growing herb/spice/seasoning collection.

From Celery Salt to Carraway Seeds to Fenugreek.

We absolutely can't forget to add fruit of all kinds to this list. Added with vegetables in a pinch you can make a smoothie if nothing else. They are my go to when I am in a hurry or it is getting too late to eat and I really haven't taken in much food that day. Also, non-sugar added peanut butter is a good source for protein and they go wonderful with the fruit or in the smoothie. I also agree with identityissues8, our spice, herb,seasoning, and oil collection is expanding at a crazy rate. I also cannot forget to add quinoa of all colors to this list. That is all I can think of right now to add. Hope it helps.

Quinoa! Don't know how I lived without it. Perfect for salads, stews, soups, or just plain! It really is a wonder grain, both with taste and nutrition.

I also would have to say nut butters. On days when my calories are kind of low, a scoop of almond or peanut butter on some crisp bread goes a long way.

I always make sure I have some soup or soup bases in the house, so that on a cold day or a day I don't feel like cooking all I have to do is add some veggies to it, or just enjoy the broth. Ramen noodles also come in handy when you need a quick meal, or want to add something to another meal.

Chickpeas
Dates (unpitted ones)
Apricots
Spices (and lots of)
Frozen herbs
Gram flour
Mung Dal
Toor Dal
Soya chunks
Silken Tofu

With these and the first list you can make you a myriad of meals in less than 30 minutes from vegan Indian to Middle Eastern, to European to just straight forward normal everyday food.

I'm happy as long as I have fruit, rice and potatoes in the house. Oh and tons of veggies lol. I make a LOT of soup, it's one of my faves.

All those things and definetely herbs, chickpeas and peanut butter! And whole peppers, carrots and celery, great for healthy snacking!