Vee1

Believe....
Reaction score
  1. 3 large heads of broccoli, chopped into small chunks
  2. 2 tsp vegan margarine
  3. 1 onion, diced finely
  4. 2 cloves of garlic, diced finely
  5. 1/2 tsp mustard powder
  6. 1/2 tsp sage( I used fresh, dry would work)
  7. 1 cup milk of your choice
  8. 1 cup water
  9. 3 tsp or more of Braggs/tamari/ soy sauce
  10. 1/2 tsp pepper ( or to taste)
Instructions
  1. Steam the broccoli until soft
  2. While the broccoli is steaming fry the onion in the margarine until soft and fragrant
  3. Add the garlic to the onion and fry until soft
  4. Add the mustard and sage and stir for a minute ( if dry add a splash of water)
  5. Add steamed broccoli and fry until all the flavours are interspersed
  6. Pour in the water and milk and allow the soup to bubble for a little at medium heat
  7. Blend the soup until very smooth and place back in pot
  8. Add the Braggs and pepper and stir
Enjoy!!!!!creamy broccoli soup.jpg

This recipe looks very intriguing.

How many servings does this recipe equate to?

Reactions: Vee1
This amount of broccoli actually made quite a bit. I would say 4-6 servings. :broccoli:

That sounds great. I am trying to bring vegan foods to an environmental group I belong to. We eat supper together then have the business part of the meeting. The president of the group is vegan. We usually have 4 to 6 people attend.

Last meeting I went to one of the few vegan restaurants in Nashville, buying some bowls of soup and pouring them into a slow cooker. This did not work out all that well for two reasons. One was that the soup was more expensive per quart than I thought it would be, and in fact they ran out of soup before I could get the quantity I wanted. The second reason was that the soup of the day was a poblano butternut squash soup, which contains capsicum. One of our members cannot eat capsicum, so the soup selection sort of "backfired" in terms of feeding our members, although the president and the other members liked it.

I enjoy reading the recipes you have been posting, and will probably try making your soup or stew recipes to bring to our meetings. :)

That sounds great. I am trying to bring vegan foods to an environmental group I belong to. We eat supper together then have the business part of the meeting. The president of the group is vegan. We usually have 4 to 6 people attend.

Last meeting I went to one of the few vegan restaurants in Nashville, buying some bowls of soup and pouring them into a slow cooker. This did not work out all that well for two reasons. One was that the soup was more expensive per quart than I thought it would be, and in fact they ran out of soup before I could get the quantity I wanted. The second reason was that the soup of the day was a poblano butternut squash soup, which contains capsicum. One of our members cannot eat capsicum, so the soup selection sort of "backfired" in terms of feeding our members, although the president and the other members liked it.

I enjoy reading the recipes you have been posting, and will probably try making your soup or stew recipes to bring to our meetings. :)
This one is easy peasy. It is the sort of recipe you could make for cheap and in no time!

Thanks for the compliments on the recipes. My blog is aimed at easy vegan (mostly) so people want to try it.

Hope this one is a hit at the meeting!

Well, months have gone by, and I finally got around to making your soup for my environmental/recycling group tonight.

When I went to the store to find three large heads of broccoli, the ones I found were pretty large. I think they weighed a little over three pounds. And I had to use four different steamers to steam all the chopped pieces. High volume!

I was running late so used my Cuisinart food processor to chop the onion, and then to chop the garlic. I used three cloves instead of two since I figured some of the garlic would be left on the walls of the food processor. I also added a teaspoon full of pepper instead of the one-half teaspoon your recipe calls for.

I used my mighty VitaMix to make the soup very smooth and creamy.

It ended up making about 3 quarts of soup, and there were 5 people at the meeting. So everyone was able to get a generous portion of soup.

Karen, the best cook in our group, said the soup had "bite." So maybe the one-teaspoon of pepper was a little too much. But she was not complaining, just describing.

Karen and John ("the vegan") both said they liked the soup, but said it could have used some salt. I would have brought along a salt shaker for them if I had known their preferences.

Michael and I both liked the soup as is, no salt needed.

Leslie did not say much, but packed away a portion of the soup to eat tomorrow.

So all-in-all I'd say it went quite well. Thank you for your recipe. :)

It looks like I screwed up a little bit in making the soup. The recipe calls for 3 teaspoons of soy sauce or Braggs. I thought I had a bottle of soy sauce, but did not. So I grabbed one of those packets of Kikkoman soy I brought home from a restaurant. I guessed this would have two teaspoons of soy sauce, which was close enough for me. I added some extra pepper anyway.

Wrote to the Kikkoman company. Got the following reply: "A tablespoon of soy sauce is 15 ml and there are three teaspoons in a tablespoon. Usually, a packet has 6ml of soy sauce inside. So a packet of soy sauce should have around 1 teaspoon of soy sauce."

So I deviated from the recipe more than I had intended.