US Cravings?

Siriuslygeeky

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Ive been a vegetarian for several years now, but lately I've been having really bad cravings for specific foods (many of which aren't vegetarian). Most of them don't really have anything my body could be deficient on (my worst one is cereal marshmallows). I've tried different tips to get rid of the cravings, but nothing seems to be helping. I really hate eating non-vegetarian stuff bc of my love for animals and stuff but Im honestly considering loosening up on what I dont eat and giving into some of these cravings. Any advice or comments?

Ive been a vegetarian for several years now, but lately I've been having really bad cravings for specific foods (many of which aren't vegetarian). Most of them don't really have anything my body could be deficient on (my worst one is cereal marshmallows). I've tried different tips to get rid of the cravings, but nothing seems to be helping. I really hate eating non-vegetarian stuff bc of my love for animals and stuff but Im honestly considering loosening up on what I dont eat and giving into some of these cravings. Any advice or comments?

Could you provide a list? There may already be vegan alternatives to some/many of them.

Could you provide a list? There may already be vegan alternatives to some/many of them.
Cereal marshmallows, gummy bears, sour gummy worms, those one cherry gummies(i think they're by haribo?), sometimes I also crave things like a beef n cheddar from Arbies, Coneys, or a chicken sandwich from chikfila but not as strongly. Basically the things I crave are my old favorites from before I went vegetarian. Could this possibly be a mental thing? Like a subconscious search for comfort maybe?

Most cravings are a psychological thing. I will try to find an article for you to read later. but If I remember it right cravings are of three kinds. The rarest is caused by a deficiency. These ARE real but they are also rare.

The most common kind is more like a short circuit in the brain. Maybe something happens during the day that reminds you of mom. Later that night you really want a roast beef - like your mom used to cook.

I can't exactly remember but I think the third kind is like an emotional thing. Like you are sad and want some comfort food. like mac and cheese or ice cream. but now that I wrote that down that sounds too much like the one i just described.

Anyway, most cravings can be safely ignored. From my own experience - even giving in to the craving does make it go away. So i just ignore them.

Cereal marshmallows, gummy bears, sour gummy worms, those one cherry gummies(i think they're by haribo?), sometimes I also crave things like a beef n cheddar from Arbies, Coneys, or a chicken sandwich from chikfila but not as strongly. Basically the things I crave are my old favorites from before I went vegetarian. Could this possibly be a mental thing? Like a subconscious search for comfort maybe?

Hi Siruislygeeky,

You can buy mini vegan marshmallows through Amazon: Amazon.com : Dandies - Minis - Vegan Marshmallows, Vanilla, 10 Ounce (Pack of 2) : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Amazon also sells vegan gummy candy, though it's expensive: Amazon.com : Luehders Gummi's Vegan Red Berries, 2.8 oz : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Carls Jr., Hardees, and Burger King all sell very realistic meatless burgers.

I experienced outrageous crazings for my previous comfort foods during my first 3 months of veganism. Prior to my becoming vegan, my diet was heavily meat-centered. My new vegan comfort foods are lentils and rice, bean burritos with salsa, and pita bread with hummus.

Sometimes I get a craving for potato pancakes. I avoid eating junk, gummies are not vegan coz of the gelatin.

Sometimes I get a craving for potato pancakes. I avoid eating junk, gummies are not vegan coz of the gelatin.
There are gummies made with either agar or other plant gels, you just have to look at ingredients.Sour Patch kids and all their types of gummies are vegan, so are Swedish Fish for an example of well known ones.
Aldi has four packs of fruit jels that are made from locust bean gum, geletin free

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
Here is a list of sweets that don't contain gelatine which may be available in some US supermarkets/drugstores :

Australian soft liquorice is also a soft and chewy sweet and is available at Target, Home Goods, 99 ct store and occasionally at TJ Max:

You should also be available to find vegan sweets at TJ's.

1600337479308.png