Companion Animal Memorial Thread

In October 2010, my friend Matt and I were roommates and we jointly adopted a handsome 2 year old boy named Newton. He was unlike any cat either of us had ever owned, becoming instant friends with our other cats and every person to come into our home. He was such a sweet fellow it was years later before he ever hissed for any reason. We nicknamed him "Bud" Newton because he was such a friend to all, and "Newton B. Dancin' " for the times he would be purring and kneading us and it looked like he was dancing in place. The B. also stood for Bud.

After about a year living together, Matt got an apartment with his then girlfriend and we agreed Newton would move with him, his other cat and his girlfriend's cat while I would keep my previous cat and one more we adopted together along the way. Matt later married said girlfriend, and bought a house in another state, where he has lived for maybe 4 years now.

Fast forward to this Saturday night, Matt texted to say Newton has passed away suddenly, sometime between 4 and 6:30pm. Suffice to say, we are both devastated by the sudden loss of such a sweet and wonderful friend. It hits even harder for Matt who in the past year has gone through a divorce and his now ex-wife taking her cat and their dog across the country with her.

Another friend of mine has to say goodbye to his cat earlier this month when extreme fatigue led to a cancer diagnosis. I wonder if Newton was secretly ill too, and if his sudden passing might have been a blessing in disguise to save Matt from any long-term suffering. I guess that would be the only silver lining. 10-11 years is not enough time, but I am thankful for the 8 1/2 years he was part of Matt's life. We'd rescue him again in a heartbeat.

Rest in Peace, Bud Newton. You will never be forgotten

View attachment 16606

Such a sweet face!

In October 2010, my friend Matt and I were roommates and we jointly adopted a handsome 2 year old boy named Newton. He was unlike any cat either of us had ever owned, becoming instant friends with our other cats and every person to come into our home. He was such a sweet fellow it was years later before he ever hissed for any reason. We nicknamed him "Bud" Newton because he was such a friend to all, and "Newton B. Dancin' " for the times he would be purring and kneading us and it looked like he was dancing in place. The B. also stood for Bud.

After about a year living together, Matt got an apartment with his then girlfriend and we agreed Newton would move with him, his other cat and his girlfriend's cat while I would keep my previous cat and one more we adopted together along the way. Matt later married said girlfriend, and bought a house in another state, where he has lived for maybe 4 years now.

Fast forward to this Saturday night, Matt texted to say Newton has passed away suddenly, sometime between 4 and 6:30pm. Suffice to say, we are both devastated by the sudden loss of such a sweet and wonderful friend. It hits even harder for Matt who in the past year has gone through a divorce and his now ex-wife taking her cat and their dog across the country with her.

Another friend of mine has to say goodbye to his cat earlier this month when extreme fatigue led to a cancer diagnosis. I wonder if Newton was secretly ill too, and if his sudden passing might have been a blessing in disguise to save Matt from any long-term suffering. I guess that would be the only silver lining. 10-11 years is not enough time, but I am thankful for the 8 1/2 years he was part of Matt's life. We'd rescue him again in a heartbeat.

Rest in Peace, Bud Newton. You will never be forgotten

View attachment 16606

Stunning kitty.xxx

My beloved Poppy, the one who's name I adopted for use here and on other sites, died yesterday in our arms. She had been declining mentally for some time, but it finally became apparent that there was nothing else we could do to ease her stress and discomfort and we had our dear friend, and her vet, help her pass. She was 15 years old. She had attitude, spunk, and way of lifting her lip that put every foster we had come through here on notice that she was not to be messed with. And yet she was the best bed buddy and lap warmer on the planet. She would demand to be held. Poppy was the reason I became vegan, started volunteering at an animal shelter, and, with my husband, became the foster parent for over 130 small dogs. She made me a better person. My heart is broken. I will love her always.

My beloved Poppy, the one who's name I adopted for use here and on other sites, died yesterday in our arms. She had been declining mentally for some time, but it finally became apparent that there was nothing else we could do to ease her stress and discomfort and we had our dear friend, and her vet, help her pass. She was 15 years old. She had attitude, spunk, and way of lifting her lip that put every foster we had come through here on notice that she was not to be messed with. And yet she was the best bed buddy and lap warmer on the planet. She would demand to be held. Poppy was the reason I became vegan, started volunteering at an animal shelter, and, with my husband, became the foster parent for over 130 small dogs. She made me a better person. My heart is broken. I will love her always.
I am so sad for you all, please take care of yourselves, Dogs become your family, but, it hurts so much when they leave us.

I know it won't help you now, but, in time you know you gave her the best life she could have....:hug:

• Love
  • Friendly
Reactions: Poppy and Val
Poppy I'm so sorry, I know that hurt and emptiness too well.
I know you'll find peace with all the other lives you touch, and that Poppy has touched. Poppy will live through every one you home.

She sounds like she was an outstanding personality. So sorry for your loss. :hug:

• Friendly
  • Love
Reactions: Poppy and KLS52