Companion animal gratefulness thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has been sad that we can't go to the beach (dogs aren't allowed during summer), and that it's getting hotter and harder to get good exercise during the day.

So I talked to him like a fellow person, told him how much I appreciate him, and promised to be a better human to him. I told him I'd take him for a hike and make up for the lack of exercise.

He seemed to understand, and he cuddled a lot. He's so sweet, and empathetic.

I used my footspa today with cool water as it is warm today.

I remembered that when I first got it and filled it with water I walked out of the room and my dogs were drinking out of it when I walked back in. They must have thought I bought them a huge new water bowl. :laughing:

The cat helps me every day to strive to become a better version of myself...
I used to be very selfish, self-centered person, had anger issues and some very self-destructive behavior.
She has been there for me.... and when I look at her, I remember that I have to be better so that I can take better care of her.

I am really grateful that our feline baby is recovering well from having 3 teeth removed last week. Before we adopted him, he was a fighter, and 3 of his canines were broken. Since having them removed he has been scratching his jaw a lot less. I'm sure it was causing him pain.

Birds have rather interesting ways to show their affection. Some birds of prey show their love by not trying to hurt you most of the time while others at least take off before dropping a load. Most Corvids are actually rather easy to "befriend" and fun to hang out with but they are the kind of mischievous friends your mother wouldnt allow you to meet.

Birds have rather interesting ways to show their affection. Some birds of prey show their love by not trying to hurt you most of the time while others at least take off before dropping a load. Most Corvids are actually rather easy to "befriend" and fun to hang out with but they are the kind of mischievous friends your mother wouldnt allow you to meet.
I love corvids. Seeing those mischievous and intelligent creatures always make me happy.
Have you befriended some of them? :)

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
Have you befriended some of them? :)
Since I was a boy I was wandering around with my pockets full of seeds, and still do. When I became older I wanted to know how exactly it can be achieved... heres a small guide how to befriend Corvids:

0. Preperation and Equipment:
-Learn some local Corvid slang. They can be rather talkative and once you know how to interpret their calls its easy to guess their mood. Its not that hard to learn as it may sound.
-Corvids can remember faces but its easier if you have something like a bright hat with a shiny bauble attached to it. (I for example have my traditional austrian felt head with shiny badges from hiking routes)
-Bring lots of patience, never rush anything.... the whole process of befriending a wild corvid will at least take 1-2 years and if they dont like you because of... youknow, unknown bird reasons.... you might even never gain their trust.

1. Put out some food for them on a daily basis. Regularity is the trick here! After a while they will add this spot to their routine and at one point even count on it. So dont be suprised if they trash the place when you forget about it too often....

2. Find out what the local gang likes to eat, they can be very picky especially if you dont have any insects or carrion to offer. Dont even try to overfeed them and use bigger pieces of fruit, nuts or seeds unless you want the smaller birds to sit at the table first. At least around here they are crazy for unsalted and soaked in water cashews, I think its easy to spot from above cause of the bright color and resemblance to a juicy grub.

3. Ignore them. They will understand its you who puts out the food and gonna think they are stealing it. They become more and more cheecky every time and soon it will awaken their interest that this strange human isnt getting angry while blatantly his food is beeing stolen but instead even delivers more.

4. Dont show anger. Now comes the worst part... once they are absolutely sure youre not a threat, but dont know if they can trust you, they will start playing tricks on you (to fish for heavier reactions maybe to see if youre a possible playmate, only let them pass or still would whack em good if they get too annoying). They can be very creative but remember: its their weird way of showing affection...

5. Try to be closer to them without making it obvious and stay calm. They are easy to bribe so always have some goodies ready.

6. Once they also start to feel comfortable around you and dont just fly away after the feast.... its time for revenge! Now its finaly your turn to figure out ways to tease them! But always do the happy croaking sound to let them know you have been an arse on purpose but not because you wanted to harm your buddy but because you think it was funny. Be cautious though, corvids can be quite resentful! : )

I'm still trying to find a good place to rent a car so I can go hiking with my friend. He needs to get some really good exercise at a time of day when it's not hot. I also just want to show him how much I appreciate him.

I just gave him some pasta with garlic and olive oil. He seemed to really enjoy it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Since I was a boy I was wandering around with my pockets full of seeds, and still do. When I became older I wanted to know how exactly it can be achieved... heres a small guide how to befriend Corvids:

0. Preperation and Equipment:
-Learn some local Corvid slang. They can be rather talkative and once you know how to interpret their calls its easy to guess their mood. Its not that hard to learn as it may sound.
-Corvids can remember faces but its easier if you have something like a bright hat with a shiny bauble attached to it. (I for example have my traditional austrian felt head with shiny badges from hiking routes)
-Bring lots of patience, never rush anything.... the whole process of befriending a wild corvid will at least take 1-2 years and if they dont like you because of... youknow, unknown bird reasons.... you might even never gain their trust.

1. Put out some food for them on a daily basis. Regularity is the trick here! After a while they will add this spot to their routine and at one point even count on it. So dont be suprised if they trash the place when you forget about it too often....

2. Find out what the local gang likes to eat, they can be very picky especially if you dont have any insects or carrion to offer. Dont even try to overfeed them and use bigger pieces of fruit, nuts or seeds unless you want the smaller birds to sit at the table first. At least around here they are crazy for unsalted and soaked in water cashews, I think its easy to spot from above cause of the bright color and resemblance to a juicy grub.

3. Ignore them. They will understand its you who puts out the food and gonna think they are stealing it. They become more and more cheecky every time and soon it will awaken their interest that this strange human isnt getting angry while blatantly his food is beeing stolen but instead even delivers more.

4. Dont show anger. Now comes the worst part... once they are absolutely sure youre not a threat, but dont know if they can trust you, they will start playing tricks on you (to fish for heavier reactions maybe to see if youre a possible playmate, only let them pass or still would whack em good if they get too annoying). They can be very creative but remember: its their weird way of showing affection...

5. Try to be closer to them without making it obvious and stay calm. They are easy to bribe so always have some goodies ready.

6. Once they also start to feel comfortable around you and dont just fly away after the feast.... its time for revenge! Now its finaly your turn to figure out ways to tease them! But always do the happy croaking sound to let them know you have been an arse on purpose but not because you wanted to harm your buddy but because you think it was funny. Be cautious though, corvids can be quite resentful! : )
Thank you for the info! Maybe I'll try that someday too. :)

Reactions: Ohzen
I just really love my cats. I especially love how the little ginger one, sleeps very soundly next to me on the bed and really doesn't move all night. He's like a little orange brick!
I know that feeling. 😢 😻

FINALY! I prepared the trees in my garden to make them perfekt for birds to build their nests in. And guess what I got...... OWLS! Fun fact about owls.... while they are away hunting for their offspring during the night, the young bird turns on its "everythings allright alarm"... it just keeps making this piercing sound EXACTLY every 6 seconds... usually between 2-4am.

At times its rough to love animals that show their affection by beeing annoying as hell or at least try not to hurt you... but owls are something different. Malicious, stubborn, way to smart for a bird with razorsharp claws and beak... also with my experience as Forest Warden and Falconer I can tell they outright hate humans.

My dog is Velcro. He wants to be touching all the time. I need to clean the house, but he cries if I leave his side. I appreciate how affectionate he is.

I think he's trying to pick out a boyfriend for me. He finds really nice men in about the right age range, acts super affectionate, and then doesn't want to leave their company. But the ones he's picked out are all married. He needs to learn about human relationships and how to find a nice guy who's single.

I was thinking about all the knowledge dogs have that we humans don't have access to. My dog just picked up his antler chew and got a very learned look on his face like, "You wouldn't understand this."

I wonder what he smells on that antler - details of the elk's life and where it was living. When they smell, they get a lot of history. It's like when people read.

Joon had a reaction to her two vaccines yesterday. I knew something was wrong when she didn't wake me at 4 am and I was able to sleep until 5:30. I got up and she still wouldn't get up. I thought for sure she would come in the kitchen when I fed Stella but she didn't.

I became so nervous because I had to go out today. Luckily my daughter was going to be around so I left instructions for my husband with phone numbers for the vet and emergency clinics. My daughter would take her in if necessary. My gut told me she would be ok but I was still nervous. She wouldn't leave the bed.

Luckily just before I was leaving she picked her head up and I was able to get her to eat a tablespoon of food but she went right back to sleep. When I got home a few hours later she was standing up on the bed and was almost back to her old self. I'm very grateful. She's even better now. 🥰

I didn't know there was a companion animal gripe thread.... It can't be true, surely.

Reactions: KLS52
Status
Not open for further replies.