TofuRobot

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What is another expression for 'cold turkey?' As in - quitting something suddenly and instantly sans any kind of weaning process? I hate that expression (and never really understood it anyway) but can't think of any other way to say it... :/

You could say cold tofurky or cold tofu.

If you don't like those I only know old fashioned synonyms related usually to alcoholism ...on the wagon and taking the cure. On the wagon would be weird used for vegans because it would make people think of bandwagon which leads too easily to accusations of cult. ...taking the cure might be interesting but also might go over people's heads since people my grandfather's age were likely the last people to use it at all.

Haha - I only recently read what 'on the wagon' used to mean (where it came from) - never heard of 'taking the cure' - the more your know, LOL. My 'cold turkey' substitute would ideally not have any reference to veganism (they don't much like vegans where I want to use it, lol. It would be like rubbing salt in a wound ;) )

Maybe not exactly relevant, but related.

Colleen Patrick Goudreau has at least two podcast episodes on this kind of stuff. I listened to them a long time ago so I'm not sure if it includes Cold Turkey. But many other phrases that include animals are discussed and examined.

ANIMALOGY: OUR ANIMAL-RELATED WORDS AND PHRASES
https://www.colleenpatrickgoudreau.com/animalogy-our-animal-related-words-and-phrases/

and
COMPASSIONATE CLICHÉS
http://www.colleenpatrickgoudreau.com/compassionate-cliches/

Definitely worth a listen if you are curious about this kind of stuff.

Maybe not exactly relevant, but related.

Colleen Patrick Goudreau has at least two podcast episodes on this kind of stuff. I listened to them a long time ago so I'm not sure if it includes Cold Turkey. But many other phrases that include animals are discussed and examined.

ANIMALOGY: OUR ANIMAL-RELATED WORDS AND PHRASES
https://www.colleenpatrickgoudreau.com/animalogy-our-animal-related-words-and-phrases/

and
COMPASSIONATE CLICHÉS
http://www.colleenpatrickgoudreau.com/compassionate-cliches/

Definitely worth a listen if you are curious about this kind of stuff.
Thank you - I'm all over that! I'm hoping that using the word "pig" in a derogatory manner is addressed, cuz IMO, labeling a general [jerk] as a "pig" is an insult to the pig.

Reactions: Emma JC
@TofuRobot
If I remember right it is more like skin the cat and two birds kind of stuff
I love her already :)

Edit: I think I'm just going to go with "in an instant" or "cold potato" ;)

Edit #2: @Lou -- OMG she *did* bring it up - but she didn't really offer an alternative (other than 'overnight' - which I do use already). Not as 'idiom-ish' but it works.

Last edited:
And then.....
Fox news publishes...

Phrases like 'bringing home the bacon' may soon be eschewed following rise in veganism, academic claims

"Phrases like “bringing home the bacon” and “flogging a dead horse” could be culled to avoid offending animal lovers, an academic has claimed."

"The image of 'killing two birds with one stone' is, if anything, made more powerful by the animal-friendly alternative of 'feeding two birds with one scone.'

“If veganism forces us to confront the realities of food’s origins, then this increased awareness will undoubtedly be reflected in our language and our literature.”

“While these phrases may seem harmless, they carry meaning and can send mixed signals to students about the relationship between humans and animals and can normalize abuse," PETA writes.

“Teaching students to use animal-friendly language can cultivate positive relationships between all beings and help end the epidemic of youth violence towards animals."

Full article here
https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/...ed-following-rise-in-veganism-academic-claims

It's not that I disagree with PETA, we'll be on the right side of history for sure

but ... this is just not the time for this. people have a hard enough time accepting PETA as it is. no need to add fuel to the "these nut bags are at it again" fire that the carnivorous public loves to warm themselves with.

It's not that I disagree with PETA, we'll be on the right side of history for sure

but ... this is just not the time for this. people have a hard enough time accepting PETA as it is. no need to add fuel to the "these nut bags are at it again" fire that the carnivorous public loves to warm themselves with.

I think i understand your concern. But I disagree.

Idioms are a part of language Children learn language at a very young age and language is not only part of how they communicate but it affects our thinking as well. Idioms are learned from parents. It is also taught in schools. I know in California idioms are taught at many grade levels.

What we do now for our children will have a very long-lasting effect on our society. "Beating Horses" and "Skinning Cats" are not things we condone now. So why should they be used in our day-to-day expressions?

I've had discussions with (intelligent) friends about this kind of thing as far back as I can remember. People should've put these expressions to rest ages ago. Now would be way past the time for it.

So why should they be used in our day-to-day expressions?

obviously they shouldn't, and hopefully in the future they will eventually be phased out...
but I would not be surprised if they stuck around, despite the connotations.
we still use very outdated phrases even today, like "hang up the phone" "been through the wringer" "close but no cigar"
kids today have no clue where these phrases came from but they're still around.

I'm anti-whataboutism as the next person, but PETA has a hard enough time being ridiculed constantly... maybe focus on something else? I want PETA to succeed in all their goals but they would probably be more successful if they had more of the public on their side.

Yeah - we're not going to stop PETA from being PETA.
I think in general we're simply trying to be conscious about the language we choose, which is never a bad thing.
There's nothing offensive to anyone by using an expression like "hang up the phone" or someone sounding like "a broken record." Those expressions are fun in a nostalgic kind of way. "Beating a dead horse" (and other similar expressions) has always been a horrible expression, even when I was a kid (I was raised in a very meat-eating household).

Reactions: Lou