Cilantro - am I the only one?

I like small bits of cilantro, but I HATE coriander with a passion. It has such a dominant soapy taste that overrules everything.

I do love liqourice, but the country I come from is the worlds No 1 consumer and producer of liqourice ;)

My sister once gave me a piece of salty licorice from, I think, The Netherlands. It grossed me out. I love licorice, but it is NOT supposed to be salty. :eek:

My sister once gave me a piece of salty licorice from, I think, The Netherlands. It grossed me out. I love licorice, but it is NOT supposed to be salty. :eek:

Yep, that's where I am from and salty liqourice is quite popular here. In fact, it's my favorite :p But it's aquired taste I assume ;)

I forgot all about salty licorice. I have only tried it once, and I had a very negative opinion. I am sure, as you said, it's an acquired taste, but in most other parts of the world, we are only ever exposed to the sweet kind.

I forgot all about salty licorice. I have only tried it once, and I had a very negative opinion. I am sure, as you said, it's an acquired taste, but in most other parts of the world, we are only ever exposed to the sweet kind.

:yes: I never knew it even existed. Sounds interesting and different.

Reactions: kazyeeqen
Salty licorice sounds even more disgusting than sweet licorice.

When I lived on Guam, there was a popular snack that was dried plums, but they were salty and sour and licorice flavored all at the same time. The first time I tried one, I spit it out almost instantly and felt nauseous. The second time I tried one was NEVER because I am not insane.

As proven here, I have yet to meet a foreigner who can understand a Dutchie's love for salted licorice ;) My English ex wouldn't let me kiss him after lol :p

As proven here, I have yet to meet a foreigner who can understand a Dutchie's love for salted licorice ;) My English ex wouldn't let me kiss him after lol :p

Send me some and I'll be the first. :yes:

I've never tried it, but I've never met a licorice I didn't like!

Reactions: thefadedone
Another vote for salty licorice = gross.

Up in Solvang, a lot of the shops sell salty licorice. They have free samples sitting out in dishes, and it amuses them to see the expressions of those of us used to sweet licorice. That's where I tried it. :yuck:

It's a genetic thing. Check out these articles. I am also one of the many who hates cilantro due to the soapy aftertaste:

http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/10/06/8171303-your-cilantro-love-or-hate-may-be-genetic?lite
http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/05/16/11719087-who-hates-cilantro-study-aims-to-find-out?lite

Interestingly, they have drawn some comparisons between this trait, and people who hate black licorice and artificial sweeteners:

http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/20...of-us-hate-black-licorice-a-few-theories?lite

That's interesting. I can generally tolerate cilantro, but I don't like it. It makes my sister gag - she can taste even the tiniest amount in a dish.

We both hate black licorice - I would vomit if I tried to force some down.

Salty licorice sounds even more disgusting than sweet licorice.

When I lived on Guam, there was a popular snack that was dried plums, but they were salty and sour and licorice flavored all at the same time. The first time I tried one, I spit it out almost instantly and felt nauseous. The second time I tried one was NEVER because I am not insane.

You have lived on Guam? That sounds awesome : ) .

Reactions: thefadedone
Another vote for salty licorice = gross.

Up in Solvang, a lot of the shops sell salty licorice. They have free samples sitting out in dishes, and it amuses them to see the expressions of those of us used to sweet licorice. That's where I tried it. :yuck:

Thanks for the warning. :p

I haven't been up to Solvang since I was a kid, and I was thinking I'd like to go back sometime. Now I know what to avoid if I do go back. :p

(For those who don't know, Solvang is a town in central California that was founded by Danish immigrants. It retains a lot of the culture and flavor of Denmark and attracts a lot of tourists.)

I used chopped parsley in my curry today instead of coriander, since I had parsley in the fridge. It worked really well and I much prefer it :)

It's popular in Finland.

I like it -- in small doses. I think people tend to overuse it in things like salsa. It can overpower a dish. It's never tasted like soap to me, but I definitely am not a fan if there is too much of it.

Cilantro haters, you're not alone. Google I hate cilantro. The site is hilarious.

But actually, I like cilantro quite a bit. But I HATE HATE HATE HATE stevia. I thought it was the stevia bought in stores that I didn't like so I decided to grow my own. After a full growing season and all that work to harvest, dry it, etc etc I found out that I just dont like it. :p Luckily I had ppl to give it away to.

I wonder if the makers of GimmeLean sausage use cilantro as one of their 'natural flavors'. I ate some last night and the aftertaste was very much like soap, which was unpleasant. I usually only experience that soapy taste after eating cilantro.