Package Exchange Christmas Exchange and Mailing Time Calculations

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Just noticed that the fall exchange is running about a month behind last year's schedule. Wondering how this will affect the Christmas exchange ,especially for those who mail international. I hear mailing time can vary greatly, particularly during the holidays. If we should have sign up completed by say, mid to late November, would it give adequate time for international deliveries to arrive by December 24?

In order to stay on the usual schedule, I think it would be necessary to have sign ups and "swap buddies" assigned by mid November. That would give everyone participating 4 weeks to assemble and mail their packages to ensure Christmas delivery . Any later than that might be too late, especially for international deliveries.

Another suggestion is that, instead of asking that packages be received by December 25, ask that packages be received by January 1st. It may seem a little unorthodox, but remember, Christmas lasts 12 days, and Eastern Orthodox Christmas is usually later than December 25th anyway. :p That would give participants a little extra time to get their package in the mail without the stress of worrying that the package will be late. And I've noticed in the past that recipients who get their packages after December 25 don't always mind because getting a package after Christmas Day extends the Christmas season for them a little longer. :)

This alternative date suggestion, however, means that those who actually get their packages by December 25 would want to open their package and post about their goodies before those who haven't gotten their packages yet. So what to do?

I don't know. :p

Yep, a mail-by date of say, December 18 would give in-country packages a week and international deliveries two weeks to get to their recipients. And if a package intended for December 25th delivery still arrives December 26 or 27, it won't officially be "late" for the purpose of the swap.

It would be difficult for anyone mailing from Canada to an international destination to get the package there on time, unless they were to use a pretty expensive class of mail. Our postal service is really terrible and expensive. The cheapest international rate takes at least 6 weeks to arrive and very easily up to 3 months. I used to do shipments for a living, so I'm not talking as a bitter regular joe who once had a late delivery here.

I'm way in favour of a slightly later arrival date, though I'd personally just have to opt out of international for the Christmas exchange. We don't have that many active Canadian members, do we? Mel... and I'm drawing blanks now...

Renee, you mean even if you mailed something to someone living in the northern US, close to the border, it would be expensive and take a long time?

Renee, you mean even if you mailed something to someone living in the northern US, close to the border, it would be expensive and take a long time?
The US is a different class of mail with Canada Post than anywhere else in the world, but it's still pricey and would take longer than you might imagine to arrive. My old bookstore used a PO Box in North Dakota, so I'm also familiar with USPS times and prices.

And this is why I posted the question- I knew my awesome VV friends would have the perfect solution.:) I like the idea of a later arrival date as well. We'll simply keep the pic thread open a bit longer. Thanks for coming up with a plan, and again
I apologize for the delay in getting the exchange together. It's all their fault:dog::doggy:;)

Reactions: Amy SF and KLS52
And this is why I posted the question- I knew my awesome VV friends would have the perfect solution.:) I like the idea of a later arrival date as well. We'll simply keep the pic thread open a bit longer. Thanks for coming up with a plan, and again
I apologize for the delay in getting the exchange together. It's all their fault:dog::doggy:;)

Sure, go ahead and blame it on innocent doggies. It's all their fault! They're too damn cute! You were waylaid by their awesome adorableness! Oh, heavens! :cry:

:p (It's okay, I wish I had awesomely adorable puppies to blame everything on!) :D

Reactions: sallyomally
This might help determine mail-by dates:

December 25, 2013 and January 1, 2014 are both Wednesdays. The Saturday and Sunday between those two dates are December 28th and 29th. In the US, Saturday is a regular postal day, but not Sunday. Participants (wherever they live) should check with the Postal Service to determine their local post office hours during the holiday season.

Last edited:
You could have the date be sometime later in January. I know of some employers who have employee Christmas parties in January when things have slowed down a bit.

When I do exchanges and future here, I am letting everyone know , you can take all the time you need to ship anything too me, I am not hurry, I am learning the hard way with this in my family ..

Reactions: Amy SF
Yeah, I personally wouldn't mind, either, if I get a package in January. It's not the date, it's the thought that counts. :D

You could make it a 2014 new year exchange or something instead :)

More specifically, a Winter Holiday/New Year exchange. That means not having to tie it only to December 25th, but allows the exchange to encompass the entire winter holiday season, which extends into January. :)

A Winter Holiday exchange with a receive by date in say mid-January works for me (doesn't have to be tied to Christmas). But I'm easy like that. :p

We could do seasonal exchanges: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter....

A Winter Holiday exchange with a receive by date in say mid-January works for me (doesn't have to be tied to Christmas). But I'm easy like that. :p

We could do seasonal exchanges: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter....

That works for me!

That means 4 exchanges a year, so if someone can't participate in one, they have 3 more opportunities to take part.