Christmas Countdown & Everything Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't start my Christmas countdown till after Thanksgiving.
I've always found Thanksgiving to be an awkward Holliday for me. so I'm glad there won't be any family dinners.
When I'm coming home from points north I have to drive by the Mall. And the traffic gets really bad. So for the next 60 days or so I have to remember to take a detour. I usually forget once or twice a year.

Well, since there are really any Thanksgiving songs I suppose I could start posting Christmas music in the What Are You Listening To thread. No, wait. Sixty days is way too many.
New Rule: No Christmas music till Thanksgiving is over.
:)

Well, since there are really any Thanksgiving songs I suppose I could start posting Christmas music in the What Are You Listening To thread. No, wait. Sixty days is way too many.
New Rule: No Christmas music till Thanksgiving is over.
:)

No rigid rules, but we are used to posting anything related to Christmas in this thread. It just makes things tidier and easier for people who like the Christmas theme to be able to find related posts.
Moreover, some members don't want to be overwhelmed with this same topic in other forums.:)

Reactions: Lou
I put up fairy lights in my living room a few days ago. I love them.

I am going to get a mini real Christmas tree this year.

I used to wait until the day after thanksgiving but everything has gotten out of whack time wise. Because everything Christmas starts so early, like in the stores and advertising, a lot of people get annoyed, so as soon as the day after Christmas arrives, they are taking down their tree and decorations.

I wouldn’t mind waiting until after thanksgiving if we could go back and celebrate the holidays in their designated time frame. But because everything Christmas will be removed December 26, instead of at least waiting until after the new year, I’m starting my Christmas season now, November 1.

I guess it depends on whether someone has happy memories or not. I was fortunate to have great memories growing up. We had a very large extended family with cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents so I get a lot of nostalgia out of the holiday season. I’m going to continue to milk it for all it’s worth to me. I am at my most happiest October through December 25. Once the 26th hits its major depression/ let down, unless we have a cold snowy winter. That often helps my mood.

When I was on my own, I didn't even notice Christmas sneaking up until there was less than a week to go. Since I have been with M in Sweden, I have become more family oriented and we usually go up to Dalarna where her parents live and where you are almost guaranteed snow. If you can imagine being able to walk safely through a swedish forest after dark with thick snow on the ground and every now and then come to a beautiful swedish house totally lit up by small white fairy lights - then you have an idea why Christmas is so magical for me now. Sadly I don't think we will be able to go this year but I hope I can still make it special for M. She has been through so much and the chance to give her an awesome day would be wonderful!

When I was on my own, I didn't even notice Christmas sneaking up until there was less than a week to go. Since I have been with M in Sweden, I have become more family oriented and we usually go up to Dalarna where her parents live and where you are almost guaranteed snow. If you can imagine being able to walk safely through a swedish forest after dark with thick snow on the ground and every now and then come to a beautiful swedish house totally lit up by small white fairy lights - then you have an idea why Christmas is so magical for me now. Sadly I don't think we will be able to go this year but I hope I can still make it special for M. She has been through so much and the chance to give her an awesome day would be wonderful!
Oh, the walk through the snow and then seeing the lit-up house sounds magical. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Brian W and KLS52
There is a really beautiful Swedish carol called "Strålande Jul" that has become my favourite. I found a translation online. They have used "Glorious" but the full implication of "strålande" is shining/resplendent. It loses a lot of its poetry in translation but you can still get an idea of how beautiful it is.

Christmas, Christmas glorious Christmas
Shine over white forests
The crowns of heaven with sparkling lights
Glistening bows in each of gods houses
A hymn sung time and time again
Eternal longing for light and peace
Christmas, Christmas, glorious Christmas
Shine over white forests

Come, come holy Christmas
Wrap your white wings
Around the blood and turmoil of war
Around all the people's sighs
Around all the families who travel to peace
Around the youth's daily lives
Come, come, holy Christmas
Bring your white wings down

Sanna Nielsen - Jul, jul, strålande jul lyrics + English translation (Version

There is a really beautiful Swedish carol called "Strålande Jul" that has become my favourite. I found a translation online. They have used "Glorious" but the full implication of "strålande" is shining/resplendent. It loses a lot of its poetry in translation but you can still get an idea of how beautiful it is.

Christmas, Christmas glorious Christmas
Shine over white forests
The crowns of heaven with sparkling lights
Glistening bows in each of gods houses
A hymn sung time and time again
Eternal longing for light and peace
Christmas, Christmas, glorious Christmas
Shine over white forests

Come, come holy Christmas
Wrap your white wings
Around the blood and turmoil of war
Around all the people's sighs
Around all the families who travel to peace
Around the youth's daily lives
Come, come, holy Christmas
Bring your white wings down

Sanna Nielsen - Jul, jul, strålande jul lyrics + English translation (Version
Very fitting for us in the US. Even with covid separating families and friends, now that the election is over it’s going to be a very sweet Christmas indeed. Talk about peace. 😊

Reactions: Brian W
First Christmas song heard at my produce market o_O. Nov 7

As a self proclaimed someone with a sweet tooth, I never really got into iced Christmas cookies or even Gingerbread but I’ve been overdosing on Hallmark Christmas movies and there are cookies in all of them. They make them look so good that now I want Gingerbread men and iced Christmas cookies! I wonder if I will actually make some. I have printed out several vegan recipes. 😁

2C523F29-B27B-4BE9-9879-7E478ADEE7D1.jpeg

These are some of what I made three years ago, I think. I don’t think I baked at all last year. That’s just sad.
These are delicious but I’m more craving the ones in the photos above. Maybe it’s time to start some new traditions.

F1DDEFEF-FF95-4D4F-9CAB-4B61BF95A12C.jpeg

Veganizing favorite family cookie recipes can be hard as some. contain so many eggs. I’ve tried with only mediocre results, other than the ones above.
I’m going to try using aquafaba but I still don’t think it will work in recipes that call for six eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.