Vegan Chocolate cake

Alice-Bee

Mad as A Hatter
Reaction score
This recipe is from Facebook
When I made it, it was approved by six omnis. They wanted more!

This recipe is enough for 12 large 'muffins'..or one large cake.
Ingredients

250g self raising flour
25 soya flour
3 table spoons of coco powder
150 sugar (You can use caster or granulated)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
300ml soya milk
125ml sunflower oil (You could use vegetable oil instead)
3 tablespoons golden syrup

Get a big bowl, and sieve the self raising flour, soya flour and coco powder.

Pour the sugar on to the top. Don’t worry about mixing it at this stage.

In a jug dissolve the bicarb of soda in to the soyamilk.

Pour the milk mixture into the bowl with the flour (don’t mix it yet)

Then pour on the oil

Then pour the golden syrup.

Slowly mix it all together.
You need to mix it so it’s all combined etc, but without overmixing. So I kind of fold it, rather than rapid mixing. Then give it a bit of a stir. Don’t worry if you see bubbles, that’s the bicarb.

You must not let the mix sit, you have to get it straight in the oven, because the bubbles that come from the bircarb are going to help your cake rise.

The cakes need to be cooked in an oven preheated to 170 degrees. Get your oven heated, and then make the cake. You want to start your cooking at the right temperature, as it will affect how the cake turns out. My oven is fan assisted so I lower it to 160 degrees. They usually take about 15-20 minutes to bake but it very much depends on your oven.

Always cook them in the centre of the oven. All ovens are different in terms of cooking times. Don’t open the oven too early as the cakes will sink. If you have a glass fronted oven you can watch the cakes cook so you will know when is a good time to test them. I usually wait to check them until I can see all the wet cake mix has turned into cake, and then wait a bit more!You will know they are cooked by touching them. If you push down on the top and it feels springy, it is ready. If it feels like you are pushing down into mush then give it another 5 mins.

When cool decorate with dairy free butter icing, cherries and chocolate icing on top.

150118_386171521423928_112958494_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, Miss Alice...I love the recipes you post but you're killing me with this gram business. I guess the up side is, I'll be a pro at converting measurements when all's said and done! lol :)

Reactions: Alice-Bee
Yes. I'm going to make this.

You are the best at providing easy peasy cake/sweet recipes! :)

Reactions: KLS52
Soya flour? Really?

Here's a recipe for US too! Pretty much the same...
3 cups flour (680 grams)
2 cups sugar (450 grams)
6 tablespoons cocoa (100 grams)
2 teaspoons baking soda (10 cc's = 10 ml)
1 teaspoon salt (5 cc's = 5 ml)

3/4 cup vegetable oil (200 cc's)
2 tablespoon vinegar (30 cc's)
2 teaspoon vanilla (10 cc's)
2 cup cold water (480 cc's)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13, or two 9 inch rounds.
Mix dry and wet separately, then combine. Pour in pan and bake 30 minutes.

I dont know how important the Soya Flour is. I may attempt one without to see. Nicci says it helps with keeping it stable once its risen.

Soya flour? Really?

Here's a recipe for US too! Pretty much the same...
3 cups flour (680 grams)
2 cups sugar (450 grams)
6 tablespoons cocoa (100 grams)
2 teaspoons baking soda (10 cc's = 10 ml)
1 teaspoon salt (5 cc's = 5 ml)

3/4 cup vegetable oil (200 cc's)
2 tablespoon vinegar (30 cc's)
2 teaspoon vanilla (10 cc's)
2 cup cold water (480 cc's)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13, or two 9 inch rounds.
Mix dry and wet separately, then combine. Pour in pan and bake 30 minutes.

This is pretty similar to the one I use (Chef Chloes) and it uses 2 cups cold water or cold coffee. I always use the coffee and it seems to give it a richer flavor.

I'm going to make that!

For 'Mericans, the 170 degrees will be centigrade so you'll also need to convert that back to the dark ages as well. :p (I'm guessing you guys know that already but I just wanted to say it. :p )

This is pretty similar to the one I use (Chef Chloes) and it uses 2 cups cold water or cold coffee. I always use the coffee and it seems to give it a richer flavor.
That recipe was pasted from Absurdly Easy Chocolate cake! It deserved to be here too!
I always use coffee in almost anything chocolate! Are you referring to Chloes Kitchen? I love that book! The mocha frosting is extremely good!

This looks so awesome, but i'm just not skilled enough to make it. :(

I'm a rather dorky single guy and I can only make recipes that have five ingredients or less.

I'm going to make that!

For 'Mericans, the 170 degrees will be centigrade so you'll also need to convert that back to the dark ages as well. :p (I'm guessing you guys know that already but I just wanted to say it. :p )

:yes: :p

Using coffee instead of water sounds good!

With all this talk about chocolate cake I ended up making one. I ate most of it between yesterday and today. o_O

It wouldn't be a hit with the omnis here because I'd eat it all first!