Chickens in the US

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Egg producers have 2 years of misery.
Roosters born to the egg industry are killed almost immediately.
Broilers live 7 weeks suffering the worst misery.

Which of these three suffers the worst?

I've read repeatedly that battery-caged egg laying chickens have the worst lives of any. And while I don't doubt it, I don't know how that's determined.

Broilers have troubles walking by the time they're killed, and many don't make it through the 7 weeks alive. They suffer the worst for the time they're in there, but egg producers live longer. If you think that's a good thing, broilers have it worse. If you think that's a bad thing, egg producers have it worse.

It's a horrible life either way. Glad I don't contribute to either.

Prolonged suffering followed by death is worse than shorter term suffering followed by death.

That is why eggs and milk are worse than meat from a which causes the most suffering to animals PoV.

At the same time the number of broilers killed is far greater than the egg producers. For that reason you'd have to argue eggs are the lesser of the evils.

What's the point of arguing who has it worse between two or more types of miserable existence?

At the same time the number of broilers killed is far greater than the egg producers. For that reason you'd have to argue eggs are the lesser of the evils.

The number of children killed by car drivers is greater than the number of children tortured and killed by sadistic pedophiles.

For that reason you'd have to argue that sadistic pedophiles are less evil than car drivers.