Hello all!

Birdie

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello everyone! My name is Susan, but I go by Birdie. I'm 30 and I live in Central California, US.

I'm (very) new to veganism. I have eaten a plant-based diet for almost four years and I considered myself eating plant-based for ethical reasons (reducetarianism basically). However, after listening to a few different vegan YouTubers, I realized that reducing animal abuse isn't good enough. I realized that though I was "reducing," I still ate meat, dairy, and eggs and still bought non-cruelty-free cosmetics, as well as leather shoes. In short, I wasn't reducing nearly as much as I thought I was.

My main reason for not going vegan sooner was the social aspect. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about: "Inconveniencing" people when I eat at their house. Annoying people when I ask if something has milk in it. Jokes and comments from family members when I order a veggie burger.

But about a few days ago, it finally clicked for me: these worries are nothing compared to animal suffering. That's it, plain and simple. So I'm vegan now. I'm still worried about the social aspect, but I'm taking it one social event at a time. Advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance :)

Welcome on board!

The social aspect is really the hardest part, or at least I think that is the case for most people. But, as you say, this is completely eclipsed by the animal suffering associated with animal products.

Last edited:
Reactions: bEt
welcome Susan!

It gets easier as you go. One of the best suggestions for dealing with family/friends is to bring amazing simple dishes with you, when you go out or have them in, and they will love eating it and so your preferences will be respected.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: bEt and PTree15
Hello, thank you for your post! You said you are concerned about social situations . . . I'm wondering too how you feel about the day-to-day aspects of planning your meals and supplements? How much have you researched that? What do you already know about that? Is there anything you still have questions about?

Using the search function on this forum can be helpful if there are specific topics you'd like to explore. (I use it a lot.) And a lot of people here with a lot of experience can answer almost any question.

And this is a good site for research if you are interested:

Last edited:
welcome Susan!

It gets easier as you go. One of the best suggestions for dealing with family/friends is to bring amazing simple dishes with you, when you go out or have them in, and they will love eating it and so your preferences will be respected.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Thank you! That is encouraging. And thanks for the tip!

Reactions: bEt
Hello, thank you for your post! You said you are concerned about social situations . . . I'm wondering too how you feel about the day-to-day aspects of planning your meals and supplements? How much have you researched that? What do you already know about that? Is there anything you still have questions about?

Using the search function on this forum can be helpful if there are specific topics you'd like to explore. (I use it a lot.) And a lot of people here with a lot of experience can answer almost any question.

And this is a good site for research if you are interested:

Thank you! Since I've been eating plant-based for several years, I mostly have the day-to-day stuff down (mostly lol). But I appreciate the resource you linked! I'll check it out to make sure I'm not missing something. And yes, I've been searching this forum a lot the last few days and it's been a big help! Thank you again!

Reactions: bEt and Emma JC