Celebrities associated with vegetarianism & veganism

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I thought it would be useful to have a thread to monitor and talk about the various vegetarian & vegan celebrities, and wannabes. I don't want to contribute to the celebrity worship that plagues modern society, but at the same time it's a fact of life and therefore something we have to deal with. So instead of many smaller threads, I thought it could be better if it was all in one super-thread.

I don't mind a little celebrity worship, as long as the celebrities in question have earned my adoration. Most haven't. A few have.

Off the top of my head: (Not 100% certain of anyone's level of plant-eating)

Chelsea Clinton (vegan)
Tobey Maguire (vegan)
Christina Applegate (vegetarian)
Stella McCartney (vegetarian? vegan?) fashion designer
Paul McCartney (vegetarian? vegan?) Stella McCartney's dad :p
James Cromwell (vegetarian? vegan?) His conversion came during or after making the movie "Babe" and he had to work with a number of pigs.
Constance Marie (vegetarian) - she played the mother in "Selena" and the wife and mother in George Lopez' sitcom. I don't know if she's still a vegetarian at this point. I read some years ago that she said she went veg after having an epiphany while filming a scene in "Selena" where she had to hold a live chicken throughout multiple takes and she could feel its beating heart.

:rolleyes:

What kind of vegetarian wakes up one day, craves meat, and willy-nilly decides to just give in to the craving? I've been craving meat since I first went veg in 1997, but I haven't given in to it. I find alternatives. It's more than just instant gratification; I have to think about the consequences of what I do. And I don't want to go back to eating meat for a number of reasons.

Reactions: Tom L.
They eat eggs.

Honestly, the cult of celebrity worship sickens me, but beyond that - they're so often not really veg*n or it only lasts for 3 months or whatever that these lists are misleading and more than irritating.

I agree, but there are exceptions to the rule.

Also, this is in the vegetarian support forum, and this thread is about celebrity vegetarians as well as vegans, so if they eat eggs but not meat, that makes them vegetarians. I know it's upsetting to a lot of vegans, but that's the truth, I guess. :shrug:

Reactions: Second Summer
They eat eggs.

Honestly, the cult of celebrity worship sickens me, but beyond that - they're so often not really veg*n or it only lasts for 3 months or whatever that these lists are misleading and more than irritating.

That's why I listed the ones I did, they are all long term vegans who live the lifestyle as well
as promote it positively.

I agree, but there are exceptions to the rule.

Also, this is in the vegetarian support forum, and this thread is about celebrity vegetarians as well as vegans, so if they eat eggs but not meat, that makes them vegetarians. I know it's upsetting to a lot of vegans, but that's the truth, I guess. :shrug:
Mm sure but they're constantly touted as awesome vegans.

Reactions: CrowCaw
Erykah Badu
Fiona Apple
Alanis Morissette

All vegans, according to the Internet.

:rolleyes:

What kind of vegetarian wakes up one day, craves meat, and willy-nilly decides to just give in to the craving? I've been craving meat since I first went veg in 1997, but I haven't given in to it. I find alternatives. It's more than just instant gratification; I have to think about the consequences of what I do. And I don't want to go back to eating meat for a number of reasons.
I would imagine it is related to the celebrity lifestyle. They're used to getting what they want.

Maggie Q. She's the only one I can think of right now that nobody mentioned.

She was in the movie Priest and also one of the Mission Impossible movies. I think it was the third one.

Attachments

• maggie-q-comic-con-aisha-tyler-02.jpg
    maggie-q-comic-con-aisha-tyler-02.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 225