Animal Advocacy Cecil the Lion's Death Angers the Planet

Jimmy Kimmel went off in this guy on his show last night. There is a whole bunch of online petitions demanding someone do something about this guy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/30/us/cecil-the-lion-walter-palmer.html

An American dentist who admitted that he killed a well-known lion this month in Zimbabwe and planned to mount the head kept his office closed on Wednesday as the furor online turned vitriolic and, at times, threatening.

Dr. Walter J. Palmer’s neatly groomed property near Minneapolis, adjacent to a preschool, has turned from a dentist’s office to a memorial to the lion, called Cecil, with red roses and more than a dozen stuffed animals laid outside the locked front door.

There was no answer to repeated knocks and doorbell rings at his large, stucco house in an affluent, wooded neighborhood. His neighbors would not talk.

In the hours after Dr. Palmer said he had killed the lion under the impression that the hunt was legal and undertaken with the proper permits, he went from a dentist and longtime hunting enthusiast to the villain at the center of a virtual firestorm over the ethics of big-game trophy hunting. He apologized in a statement: “I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion.”

so why do some people want to kill lions. For men, is it some kind of attempt to prove their masculinity? Is it an attempt to recapture some kind of wild freedom by killing something wild and free? Or maybe to assert that they are the top dog, to counter their inner feelings of powerlessness?

I think it would be a good idea to make vegan comments in as many comment sections as possible. :)

Reactions: ledboots
so why do some people want to kill lions. For men, is it some kind of attempt to prove their masculinity? Is it an attempt to recapture some kind of wild freedom by killing something wild and free? Or maybe to assert that they are the top dog, to counter their inner feelings of powerlessness?

Why don't they just get a ***** enlargement?:rolleyes::p

Reactions: Danielle
I'm sure when the technology, maybe biological 3D printing, comes along, they would get an enlargement.

It's interesting that no one ever seems tempted to see what it's like to be killed.

I was just watching Victoria Derbyshire and a woman called Niki Rust Niki Rust - School of Anthropology & Conservation - University of Kent was talking about trophy hunting and how it can actually lead to greater conservation of big cat populations as it stops farmers from killing the lions as they sometimes kill them to protect their livestock from being eaten. She was saying that habitat loss as well as farmers shooting the animals are the main cause of population loss and that trophy hunting accounts for only a small minority of deaths.

I just thought that was interesting as it isn't a subject I know much about but she says a lot of conservationists agree with this view.

BBC iPlayer - Watch BBC Two live It's on iplayer and she is speaking about 10.36. She is a vegan as well.

I was just watching Victoria Derbyshire and a woman called Niki Rust Niki Rust - School of Anthropology & Conservation - University of Kent was talking about trophy hunting and how it can actually lead to greater conservation of big cat populations as it stops farmers from killing the lions as they sometimes kill them to protect their livestock from being eaten. She was saying that habitat loss as well as farmers shooting the animals are the main cause of population loss and that trophy hunting accounts for only a small minority of deaths.

I just thought that was interesting as it isn't a subject I know much about but she says a lot of conservationists agree with this view.

I think these points may have validity. I think it is a mistake to condemn all trophy hunting. What Walter Palmer did (bribery, luring the animal away from a protected area, etc.) was extraordinary.