Animal Advocacy Cecil the Lion's Death Angers the Planet

BTW, it's great that there is now a noble cause where the average omnivore can vent his or her righteous anger at the outrageous killing of a majestic animal /* sarcasm off */

I thought of you, @shyvas , when I read the story, as I know of your love for Elsa in Born Free.

My sadness was even greater for that reason. I immediately thought of beautiful elsababy.jpg Elsa and her cubs together with Joy and George. This is also a sad day for their memory and all the work that they accomplished to try and save lions.

Reactions: ledboots
I just heard on the news that he was wounded for 40 hours before they finally killed him and that there were lion cubs left that could be killed by the next male lion in the hierarchy.

Cecil the lion killer Walter J Palmer goes into hiding as Zimbabwe police want to speak to him | Daily Mail Online

No words to describe this.

There are a few petitions floating around, but I like this one. I think it would be very fitting for him to serve time in a Zimbabwe prison. See how far his arrogant bragging gets him in there.
Extradite Minnesotan Walter James Palmer to face justice in Zimbabwe. | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

I'm going to sign all of them. He should pay for his crimes.

I was reading a discussion about this and somebody has pointed out the hypocrisy of caring about one lion when most people eat animals everyday. Somebody made a good point: But farming cows is not a humane cull, it is done for the enjoyment of people. What is the difference really between enjoying killing an animal and enjoying eating it? Why is one acceptable and the other not?
Both require the death of the animal, so if one is morally wrong then to me it implies so is the other.

Reactions: Danielle
It wasn't that long ago that no one would have had a problem with trophy hunting. Now, a majority of people find it distasteful. That's progress. It might not be as much progress as we'd like to see, but it is progress.

If people care about SOME animals, that's a start for the kinds of discussions that are needed.

I think putting beings into classes is a trait of humans in general, people have always prized some humans/animals over others. Lions are obviously physically beautiful and they are endangered so that is why they are valued highly by some people.

Maybe I'm just cranky as I have read a lot of faux outrage by omni people today and it's pissing me off!

Lions are also carnivores so aren't seen so much as meatbots waiting to be turned into burgers.

I think that is why some omni people relate to lions as they mistakenly think that humans are carnivores.:rolleyes:

I find it so repulsive that we breed docile and gentle creatures like cows and then slaughter them and we don't give them any respect as they are seen as food instead of animals who deserve to live their lives.

Agreed, Moll, and if I hear one more person talk about happy meat or humanely raised meat or anything like that, I think I will explode. It still results in death for the animal. That is not happy or humane in any case. I can't understand why people don't see this.