In Defense of Cecil the Lion's Killer

Bite Size Vegan

Vegan Fruit-Ninja
Reaction score

The killing of Cecil the lion by American dentist Walter Palmer has created a worldwide uproar of disgust, anger, and indignation. But how different are Palmer’s actions from the everyday actions of the majority of the world’s population? Prepare for the terrifically unlikely vegan animal activist’s defense of Cecil the lion’s killer.

I'm sorry but I don't care how much hypocrisy this killing exposes; I see absolutely NO justification whatsoever for the killing of a healthy endangered animal, especially in the manner in which he was killed and for no purpose other than for some sick individual to satisfy his bloodlust.

Every time the world is outraged over the killing of certain animal or animals (like the dog festival), it's guaranteed there will be those who start listing every animal abuse issue they can think of and asking why those same people don't care about all these other things.

I'm thrilled when people take any interest at all. A lot of times that's all it takes and they start to notice other things around them.

But, when you call them hypocrites for not caring about the cows who are slaughtered, the pigs that are slaughtered, the chickens that are slaughtered, the ducks that are slaughtered, the goats that are slaughtered, the sheep that are slaughtered, the lambs that are slaughtered, the calves that are slaughtered, the dairy cows, the fish that are slaughtered, the battery cage hens, the slaughtered baby chicks, the elephants used in the circus, the bulls used in rodeos, and so on ad nauseum, you overwhelm them. They've already stopped listening 10 minutes into the lecture and are playing with their iphones.

Piling on every animal atrocity everytime someone shows compassion over a certain animal is not going to make them care, and it only makes us look like animal rights nutjobs.

I'm sorry but I don't care how much hypocrisy this killing exposes; I see absolutely NO justification whatsoever for the killing of a healthy endangered animal, especially in the manner in which he was killed and for no purpose other than for some sick individual to satisfy his bloodlust.

Did you watch the video? i'm not in any way actually justifying what he did- quite the opposite. the title is to draw people in for the actual message. unfortunately, that's how YouTube and the internet in general function and it's something I try to do to a bare minimum.

Every time the world is outraged over the killing of certain animal or animals (like the dog festival), it's guaranteed there will be those who start listing every animal abuse issue they can think of and asking why those same people don't care about all these other things.

I'm thrilled when people take any interest at all. A lot of times that's all it takes and they start to notice other things around them.

But, when you call them hypocrites for not caring about the cows who are slaughtered, the pigs that are slaughtered, the chickens that are slaughtered, the ducks that are slaughtered, the goats that are slaughtered, the sheep that are slaughtered, the lambs that are slaughtered, the calves that are slaughtered, the dairy cows, the fish that are slaughtered, the battery cage hens, the slaughtered baby chicks, the elephants used in the circus, the bulls used in rodeos, and so on ad nauseum, you overwhelm them. They've already stopped listening 10 minutes into the lecture and are playing with their iphones.

Piling on every animal atrocity everytime someone shows compassion over a certain animal is not going to make them care, and it only makes us look like animal rights nutjobs.

I didn't actually call them hypocrites. My intention is to help them connect the outrage they do feel to the rest of the suffering beings- not shame them for having it. again, did you watch the video? i'm not in any way actually justifying what he did- quite the opposite. the title is to draw people in for the actual message. unfortunately, that's how YouTube and the internet in general function and it's something I try to do to a bare minimum.

I was scared from the start of the video, but I listened to the whole video and I agree. I think it's good that people aren't completely heartless and even care that Cecil got killed, but at the same time they eat animals every day. :shrug:

I was scared from the start of the video, but I listened to the whole video and I agree. I think it's good that people aren't completely heartless and even care that Cecil got killed, but at the same time they eat animals every day. :shrug:

Yes, I have a love/hate with the "grabby" titles and "hooks" and use them as little as possible. with the really trending things, the grabbiness almost has to be there to not get lost in the mix. and I totally agree with you- the fact they care is wonderful and a doorway to open their heart that much more ;)

Did you watch the video? i'm not in any way actually justifying what he did- quite the opposite. the title is to draw people in for the actual message. unfortunately, that's how YouTube and the internet in general function and it's something I try to do to a bare minimum.

I didn't actually call them hypocrites. My intention is to help them connect the outrage they do feel to the rest of the suffering beings- not shame them for having it. again, did you watch the video? i'm not in any way actually justifying what he did- quite the opposite. the title is to draw people in for the actual message. unfortunately, that's how YouTube and the internet in general function and it's something I try to do to a bare minimum.
That wasn't directed to you, just a statement in general because I've seen a lot of it on Facebook from vegan friends, and surprisingly, on an art forum. And I see it every time. You care about the whales at Seaworld? That's nice but what about the cows and the chickens and the pigs and... You think bull fights are cruel? What about the.....

It just seems whenever someone takes the step to actually show concern and outrage about some form of animal abuse, it's not enough. There is always someone telling them they have to take on everything at once and immediately become a vegan or their concern is valueless and they are hypocrites.

I didn't watch all of it. It seemed to be going in the direction I expected (the killing you're upset about isn't any worse than what happens everyday to factory farmed animals), so I didn't finish it. While that is true, I don't think vegans should be jumping on every post (on Facebook) and calling the omni's hypocrites for being upset.

Reactions: Amy SF
The title of the video gives me shivers as there is no possible defense for this crime. It was illegal and the people who hunted and murdered the lion should be punished. Having said that, I'm almost certain that Palmer will not be extratided to Zimbabwe. The US government will not let one of their citizens risk being jailed in an African country where conditions are atrocious.

Making people aware of factory farming and all the suffering of animals is a good thing. However, this may not possible be the best way of doing so. Calling people hypocrites may just make them not want to listen to many valid points about animal cruelty.

I couldn't view the entire video ( too long and the scenes were disturbing) so I can't comment on it.

I don't think that the All or Nothing theory can be applied to every circumstance.

Last edited:

I think you make very valid points. The message will definitely reach some people even if it puts some other people off. I do unfortunately think there are some omni people that will never care about even the welfare of animals. On the flip side there are compassionate people who will make the connection and give up eating animals if somebody explains it in a factual way.

That wasn't directed to you, just a statement in general because I've seen a lot of it on Facebook from vegan friends, and surprisingly, on an art forum. And I see it every time. You care about the whales at Seaworld? That's nice but what about the cows and the chickens and the pigs and... You think bull fights are cruel? What about the.....

It just seems whenever someone takes the step to actually show concern and outrage about some form of animal abuse, it's not enough. There is always someone telling them they have to take on everything at once and immediately become a vegan or their concern is valueless and they are hypocrites.

I didn't watch all of it. It seemed to be going in the direction I expected (the killing you're upset about isn't any worse than what happens everyday to factory farmed animals), so I didn't finish it. While that is true, I don't think vegans should be jumping on every post (on Facebook) and calling the omni's hypocrites for being upset.

yes i totally agree with you. many just aren't there and we're not going to get them there by yelling hypocrite in their faces. i'm not attempting to shame anyone- the pain and anger they feel is a good thing and there's an opportunity there. i don't ever say hypocrite or, i don't think, become aggressive about it. again, the title is an unfortunate bit of "edge" to grab attention. it's a fine balance and this is probably the more extreme of any i've done in that manner.

The title of the video gives me shivers as there is no possible defense for this crime. It was illegal and the people who hunted and murdered the lion should be punished. Having said that, I'm almost certain that Palmer will not be extratided to Zimbabwe. The US government will not let one of their citizens risk being jailed in an African country where conditions are atrocious.

Making people aware of factory farming and all the suffering of animals is a good thing. However, this may not possible be the best way of doing so. Calling people hypocrites may just make them not want to listen to many valid points about animal cruelty.

I couldn't view the entire video ( too long and the scenes were disturbing) so I can't comment on it.

I don't think that the All or Nothing theory can be applied to every circumstance.

i did give warnings with the footage and a tone to let you know it's over. there are only two brief sections but i can understand if it wasn't for you. there is no excuse for his actions of course.

I think you make very valid points. The message will definitely reach some people even if it puts some other people off. I do unfortunately think there are some omni people that will never care about even the welfare of animals. On the flip side there are compassionate people who will make the connection and give up eating animals if somebody explains it in a factual way.

this is very true.

Still trying to attract flies with vinegar?...

the message is actually "honey" the title "vinegar" perhaps because a YT video with the title "A Balanced Vegan Commentary on the Cecil the Lion Occurrence Which Attempts to Utilize the Positive Outpouring of Emotion Displayed by Omnivores Aroused By The Unjust Killing of this Sentient Being Into a Conduit for Connecting Them to Other Suffering Beings in the World" doesn't work.

the message is actually "honey" the title "vinegar" perhaps because a YT video with the title "A Balanced Vegan Commentary on the Cecil the Lion Occurrence Which Attempts to Utilize the Positive Outpouring of Emotion Displayed by Omnivores Aroused By The Unjust Killing of this Sentient Being Into a Conduit for Connecting Them to Other Suffering Beings in the World" doesn't work.

Lol.:p

Reactions: ledboots