Car boot sale

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Getting ready to do a car boot sale tomorrow.
Always difficult for me as iv always struggled with getting rid of things. All part of being very frugal I suppose. I tend to go from one extreme of having so much stuff I don't know where it is or what it's actually used for, to going very minimal and probably losing out on some money by hanging onto things and selling them properly. I get into a mind set of just wanting rid of it.
Wish me luck, going thru my stuff to get rid tomorrow! Xxx

I'm the same and find it difficult to let go of stuff. Apparently serious hoarders are in need of therap:( y !
I always think that it will be useful to me or someone thatI know. I even pick up stuff from our recylcling shed and take it to the charity store !

I love going to garage/boot sales in the US and find that you can pick up really good bargains. Overhere you can't sell your stuff in front of your house, they have sales that are managed by the council where you rent out a stall.

You don't really get people selling things outside their house here. There's usually one local every Sunday.
There are a few around me. A popular one that's outdoors, and one not so popular which is indoors. With the weather being rubbish if prefer to be inside! But iv got to pay £5 just to have my stall and if I'm not going to make much I wonder if I should just suck it up and do the outdoor one xxx

I have the opposite problem as I tend to get rid of everything!:p I hope it goes well.:)

I keep meaning to go to a boot sale to get a big bag of cheap teddies for my dogs to destroy.

You don't really get people selling things outside their house here. There's usually one local every Sunday.
There are a few around me. A popular one that's outdoors, and one not so popular which is indoors. With the weather being rubbish if prefer to be inside! But iv got to pay £5 just to have my stall and if I'm not going to make much I wonder if I should just suck it up and do the outdoor one xxx

I think you should wrap up warm and do the outside one! In my experience things go really quickly on busy ones. Good luck ! My parents have made a couple of hundred of pounds in car boot sales before, so if you have lots of stuff (and don't give in to too much haggling) you can make lots :D

Reactions: shyvas
I never updated this.
I only managed to me about £30 :-(
I still had over two tables worth of stuff to get rid of (at least £100s worth). I didn't want to bring it back home so I found a charity stall and asked if they wanted the lot! They luckily had a van and were happy to take it off my hands. I couldn't remember the name of it apart from the word 'hill' was in there and it was to do with animals.
Following the horse meat scandal in the UK last week, Hillside Animal Sanctuary set up secret CCTV in a horse abattoir (mentioned in another post) which has resulted in licenses being revoked! It made sky news on Saturday!
I went on the charity's web page and recognised the logo! It was on the jumper of the lady at the car boot stall I gave all my stuff to!! :-D xxx

Wooow your unwanted junk really was donated to a good cause! To be honest, I hoard things thinking "I may need it again one day" then just go mad and give it all to charity in one go. I wish I had the energy to do a car boot sale, so hats off to you even if you only got £30 out of it. i dont know how people can be bothered to sell all their old crap on ebay. By the time you take a photo of something, upload it, do the listing, post it, etc was it reaaalllly worth the 50p for the tatty old skirt?

Wooow your unwanted junk really was donated to a good cause! To be honest, I hoard things thinking "I may need it again one day" then just go mad and give it all to charity in one go. I wish I had the energy to do a car boot sale, so hats off to you even if you only got £30 out of it. i dont know how people can be bothered to sell all their old crap on ebay. By the time you take a photo of something, upload it, do the listing, post it, etc was it reaaalllly worth the 50p for the tatty old skirt?

Absolutely. I probably could have got more for the bits I DID sell if I had bothered to do it that way.
I do exactly the same as you though, hoard for years and years, then I have a massive cleanse of crap! xxx

I have had a yard sale a few years in a row (skipped last year) and even when I've made a nice amount of money, it does come down to quite a bit of work. I always end up hauling a certain amount back to pack away in the garage again.

This year, when the weather is warm enough for me to get out in the garage, I'm going to gather everything up that I would normally attempt to sell, stack it on the curb, and call one of the local charities that does home pickup. If they leave me a receipt for my taxes, great, if not that's fine too.

Reactions: CrazyCatLady