Status
Not open for further replies.

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Do your cakes look like the Tower of Pisa, or your muffins like they're having a lava eruption? Do your guests think that they are having a cocktail, but it's soup? Is everyone tied up when you invite them over for dinner?

Do not despair any longer! You have come to the right place if you're in need of help with any of the following cookery problems:

. Tips
. Techniques
. Substitutions
. Ingredient information
. Troubleshooting
. Anything else including recipes !

vl0013b019.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sallyomally
Oh great thread, Shyvas!

I'd like to know if anyone has tips on peeling butternut squash. I have one recipe that requires peeled squash and I always end up with at least one injury on my hand, an aching arm and a very wonkily peeled BNS.

Good news Lord Snot, you don't have to peel. If your're planning on roasting bs there is no need to peel it. You just scoop out the flesh when it's cooked. :p

If you're boiling or steaming it, Just cut it into small pieces, than just peel with a serrated peeler.

I just place the bs on a chopping board. hold it securely with a tea towel. Use a large knife and cut it into small
wedges. I than peel each small wedge using a serrated peeler, scoop out the seeds and than cut into small pieces.

I lop the top and bottom off of the whole squash, stand it upright on the fat end, then use a paring knife to cut the skin off in a downwards motion, angling it outwards when I reach the bit where it bulges.

I lop the top and bottom off of the whole squash, stand it upright on the fat end, then use a paring knife to cut the skin off in a downwards motion, angling it outwards when I reach the bit where it bulges.
I lop off the ends, too, but I use a vegetable peeler, going downwards. I much prefer to cut the whole unpeeled thing in half and cook it face down in water, but i know we sometimes must have cubes! :)

I lop off the ends, and use a y-peeler to peel off the skin. I usually rest the squash on a kitchen towel so it doesn't move around on me. I'm right handed, so I'll grip one end of the squash with the towel in my left hand, peeling the other side of the squash, from the middle to the right end. Then flip the squash to do the other end.

Here are a few helpful tips for replacing eggs :

Try cocoa butter, xantham gum, agar agar, arrowroot, locust bean gum, carob, vegetarian gelatine, vegan egg replacer, soya flour, banana, potato flour or chocolate.

For egg-free baking, egg 'replacers' are now available mainly from health food shops and some larger supermarkets. If you cannot locate any, make a homemade substitute by mixing 1 heaped tbsp of soya flour or cornstarch plus 2 tbsp water for each egg in your normal recipe. If a recipe calls for an egg to 'bind' the ingredients, try using 25g/1oz of mashed tofu instead.

http://forum.veggieviews.com/threads/egg-replacer.1466/

How to peel a tomato:

Bring a pot of water to the boil.
Score a small cross into the bottom of each tomato.
Put the tomatoes into the pot of water, and boil them for about 20 seconds.
Drop them into a bowl of cold water/ice water to cool them off
The skin should now just peel off!

Reactions: KLS52 and ledboots
How to peel a tomato:

Bring a pot of water to the boil.
Score a small cross into the bottom of each tomato.
Put the tomatoes into the pot of water, and boil them for about 20 seconds.
Drop them into a bowl of cold water/ice water to cool them off
The skin should now just peel off!

:yes: or ***** the tomato with a fork and place over the gas hob. I just use a serrated peeler.;)

Reactions: ledboots
Does anyone have any tips for making a burger with frozen soya mince?
I was just going to defrost some, mix it with some seasoning, a little flour and water and hopefully it will hold a 'burger' shape and then fry to seal the shape/cook in the oven...Would that work.

Re:BNS peeling. My Mam pricks it all over with a fork and put it in the microwave for a minute or so, the skin should soften enough to peel of easily with a peeler.

Is soya mince TPV Alice ?
You could add some breadcrumbs, nut butter and flakes shallots (or onion powder) and make small patties.

Yes it is sorry.
What if I dont have stuff like that, would it still work with what I suggested. Aslong as i dont need to measure in cups ill be ok! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.