Can Anyone Help? 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
What dark chocolate-hazelnut (and/or coconut) thing can I make with this stuff??

WhatToMake.JPG

Many of these ingredients have been around a little while & I'd like to use them up....

I'm still searching recipe sites... chances are I won't find the right recipe in time to make anything today. LOL :rolleyes:

^^ My whole point is to use as much of my own crap here as possible & not have to buy anything new to make this elusive chocolate whatever.... LOL

Oh, I also have Earth Balance spread & maybe a 1/4-cup or so of unsweetened soymilk in the fridge. :shrug:

Can anyone suggest a substitute for coconut oil?? o_O I'd like to make another batch of those vegan dark chocolate truffles as a thank-you gift for my mother's friend (the one who's helping me by "kidnapping" Mom from lunch tomorrow)... only problem is, she's allergic to coconut.

It needs to have the same consistency as coconut oil (solid at room temp) and not have a strong flavor....

Can anyone suggest a substitute for coconut oil?? o_O I'd like to make another batch of those vegan dark chocolate truffles as a thank-you gift for my mother's friend (the one who's helping me by "kidnapping" Mom from lunch tomorrow)... only problem is, she's allergic to coconut.

It needs to have the same consistency as coconut oil (solid at room temp) and not have a strong flavor....
8 Amazing Substitutes for Coconut Oil | Organic Facts
:???:

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
I think those were more for application to the body or hair.... Still good info, though! :up:

Palm oil was suggested somewhere, but the ethics behind that stuff are terrible. :( The only other crap I can think of that is solid at room temp are animal fats/butters.... :yuck:
Try to check these 7 (8) ones, because one of them is a damn coconut oil, but the other 7 may be convenient;).
Alternative Healthy Cooking Oils

Cashews!?
Vegan Truffles

Huh, never thought of that. o_O My only problem working with cashews (other than them being pretty pricey) is that I can't blend them smooth enough in my food processor (hence my switch to roasted cauliflower for "cheese" sauce).... :rolleyes: Maybe I could use Jerry's Ninja.... :p

Huh, never thought of that. o_O My only problem working with cashews (other than them being pretty pricey) is that I can't blend them smooth enough in my food processor (hence my switch to roasted cauliflower for "cheese" sauce).... :rolleyes: Maybe I could use Jerry's Ninja.... :p
I used to simmer the cashews after soaking till the insides were fully softened- beyond the 'al dente' look of just soaked. I got a 35 dollar Oster blender that does a good job now, not great, but good
I agree with shivas about just using non dairy creamer and like vegan spread. Earth Balance or Smart Balance

I used to simmer the cashews after soaking till the insides were fully softened- beyond the 'al dente' look of just soaked. I got a 35 dollar Oster blender that does a good job now, not great, but good
I agree with shivas about just using non dairy creamer and like vegan spread. Earth Balance or Smart Balance
But the spreads would add a salty flavor, which is not desired. And the coconut oil truffles (made two batches) turned out amazing! Many compliments.

Reactions: Val
But the spreads would add a salty flavor, which is not desired. And the coconut oil truffles (made two batches) turned out amazing! Many compliments.

You need to add salt to the ingredients when baking. The classical recipe for truffles is made with cream and butter not coconut oil. If you use non dairy butter the amount is so small that the end result will not taste salty.

You need to add salt to the ingredients when baking. The classical recipe for truffles is made with cream and butter not coconut oil. If you use non dairy butter the amount is so small that the end result will not taste salty.
What's wrong with doing something different? The recipe I used worked wonderfully. :up:

Reactions: Mischief
I didn't say that there was anything wrong with your initial recipe.
OK.... I just got the impression from you that using coconut oil was akin blasphemy or something. LOL :p

I love trying new ways to do things, and I know I'll try the vegan cream/butter version someday.... But I don't want to alter a recipe that rocks as is, just make it so my mom's friend can enjoy. I'm not a fan of Criso/vegetable shortening -- in fact, I don't think I've ever used the stuff -- but I'll try it this one time... if it doesn't pan out, I'll go with your "classic" version. ;)

Live & learn, trial & error, all that crap.... :weird:

OK.... I just got the impression from you that using coconut oil was akin blasphemy or something. LOL :p

I love trying new ways to do things, and I know I'll try the vegan cream/butter version someday.... But I don't want to alter a recipe that rocks as is, just make it so my mom's friend can enjoy. I'm not a fan of Criso/vegetable shortening -- in fact, I don't think I've ever used the stuff -- but I'll try it this one time... if it doesn't pan out, I'll go with your "classic" version. ;)

Live & learn, trial & error, all that crap.... :weird:

It contains palm oil.

I don't have anything against using coconut oil except for that it's expensive. I was answering your request as you were looking for a substitute.

Status
Not open for further replies.