Spirituality Can a day be said to be evil?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
We've all heard the expression 'a bad day', but can a day also be said to be outright evil? As if the day itself is evil? I realize we obviously have to assume that evil as a force exists in the first place in order to even consider that possibility.

And don't worry, I'm not having a particularly bad day, it's just something I was thinking about. When I was little there was a movie called (loosely translated) The Days Were Evil although they could have meant The Days Were Bad as the same word is used for both evil and bad in Norwegian. And the thought has haunted me ever since! Well, not really haunted, but fascinated me at least.

No, I don't think a day can be evil, although evil things may be done on a given day.

Normally, it would be "I'm having a bad day"...meaning things are not going well, not that the day itself is actually bad. I guess the same would be said for evil. It's the things/circumstances that are bad or evil. Unless it was the end of the entire world...I suppose then, that would be a really bad/evil day depending on what caused its demise.

a day isn't a human time construct, it is just over one rotation of the Earth.

if someone set off in a spaceship at nearly the speed of light, they would take their clock with them, and then it does sort of become a construct based upon their clock, and calender, as their time slowed down compared to Earth's time. Their day might last an Earth year.

But assuming there is an evil force (Satan, Ahriman, Angra Mainyu etc) that is able to exercise some limited power over the universe, is it really entirely inconceivable that it could "infuse" or "charge" a certain day in the calendar year, or perhaps a day / time of a certain celestial phenomenon (like the blood moon), with evil?

Well, I don't think there's an evil force/entity. I think that we humans have the ability to do evil, because we have the intellectual ability to understand that we are inflicting suffering.

Well, I don't think there's an evil force/entity. I think that we humans have the ability to do evil, because we have the intellectual ability to understand that we are inflicting suffering.
Absolutely, but let's say for religious traditionalists who believe in the Bible to the letter, surely they can't reject the idea of 'evil days' outright, like us modern heathens can? (I did mention this kind of assumption in the OP!)

Absolutely, but let's say for religious traditionalists who believe in the Bible to the letter, surely they can't reject the idea of 'evil days' outright, like us modern heathens can? (I did mention this kind of assumption in the OP!)

Satan tries to have his fingers in as many pies as he can. The moon being eclipsed wouldn't really increase his stranglehold....unless people do something on that occasion, like set off a nuclear bomb or something; pass a law in the Senate to cut education spending or something..