Buying a House

Thank you!

And yes, it makes sense that house prices in rural areas have increased also because the pandemic has forced many offices to let their employees work remotely, and in doing so have discovered that remote work is actually possible as a permanent arrangement. And since you can often get bigger and better houses for less money in rural areas, then remote working office workers will naturally want to take advantage of this possibility.

You did well to purchase your house as prices will rise according to some UK property sites.

Rightmove forecasts that house prices will rise by 4% in 2021. It predicts a lull in the second quarter of the year once the stamp duty cut ends, but says this won’t be ‘make or break’.

How is coronavirus affecting house prices? – Which? News

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
Planned color for the bedroom (cat room) 😁
Picture is a stock photo. My room should look so good lol.

A7260A31-87CC-42DC-8ADE-800A22F8073B.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
My second bedroom is also the cat room. It could certainly use a fresh coat of paint. I used some cheap duck tape to put plastic on wall behind the box for my high-peeing cat and nothing will get off the sticky. Not oils, hot water, adhesive solvent. It's the worst thing I've tried to deal with, and I used a lot! It sticks to the wall but nothing else :sob:
All of us that bought houses already were pretty lucky. I was curious and looked at houses in my area and couldn't believe how much they are now! :dizzy: You could find quite a few under $100000 when I bought, and now there's nothing!

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
@silva that stinks about the adhesive. I had a similar issue with removing wall paper glue in my previous house. We even tried sanding it off. Ended up painting over it. It looked awful. It wasn’t until we hired a professional when we had the house on the market, that it was fixed. They coated the whole wall with spackle-like stuff and sanded. It came out so nice. It helps when you know what you’re doing I suppose.

It’s frustrating when you want to do it yourself and no matter how much you research and try, nothing works.

I’m lucky I bought when I did. I got in just under the wire. Everything is so over priced now, not to mention the inventory is practically non existent.

The zestimate on my house now is 85,000 over what I paid and it’s just been a year. I know it’s just “an estimate” but I’ve found Zillow to be pretty close to accurate.

• Informative
@silva that stinks about the adhesive. I had a similar issue with removing wall paper glue in my previous house. We even tried sanding it off. Ended up painting over it. It looked awful. It wasn’t until we hired a professional when we had the house on the market, that it was fixed. They coated the whole wall with spackle-like stuff and sanded. It came out so nice. It helps when you know what you’re doing I suppose.

It’s frustrating when you want to do it yourself and no matter how much you research and try, nothing works.

I’m lucky I bought when I did. I got in just under the wire. Everything is so over priced now, not to mention the inventory is practically non existent.

The zestimate on my house now is 85,000 over what I paid and it’s just been a year. I know it’s just “an estimate” but I’ve found Zillow to be pretty close to accurate.
Right? I'm feeling that way about everything, and trying to get impending needs, like the fridge, and maintain what I have, and still save!
My job has a great 401K match up to 6% and that's what I'm trying to save. Just need 1.5 more years to be vested there. I have at least 7 years till retirement
Have you seen the price of cars o_O . I'm kinda wishing I bought newer now...

When I was young I removed all the wallpaper in our house and it was a disaster. I used texture paint and a nylon nubby roller, then a flat trowel and ended up with a Mediterranean look. Ended up pretty nice. Can't do that for a dusty cat room though or it would be too hard to clean

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52
What do you guys think about wallpaper on stair risers? I like the simple patterns. There are some crazy ones that I’ll post just for fun. 🙂

0AF9084F-D593-4979-B022-2F923AD54CB7.jpeg0CCFD68E-8FB5-4CBB-9AF8-6DB440D0290D.jpeg

I don’t think I’d be able to make it up these stairs without falling lol.

C2EC3140-9B32-4EFF-B906-8C80DF73C022.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52
A little too busy for me but if I saw it in someone’s house I would think, how cool.

A little too busy for me but if I saw it in someone’s house I would think, how cool.
Me too, but I've been thinking of adding some color to the back of the porch steps. Our neighborhood could use more colors, the old houses are mostly beigey. One is a brilliant bright teal I just love!

Reactions: KLS52
Me too, but I've been thinking of adding some color to the back of the porch steps. Our neighborhood could use more colors, the old houses are mostly beigey. One is a brilliant bright teal I just love!
I think it’s a great idea for porch steps.
I looked on Amazon. They have some but reviews are not great. And they don’t have one plain enough for me.
I think it might be more annoying applying the stickers then it will be to just paint them. I just hate taping/prepping.

Same here as I'm not a fan of patterns, wallpaper and too much going on as far as interior deco. is concerned.

Staircases, especially when they are in the living area (lounge, sitting room) can be a minus if they don't look sleek and elegant.

That is uncanny that you posted some pix as I was looking at some ideas on how to paint a staircase. Someone that I know is
planning to repaint her awful looking (dark brown wood) staircase white. There are some great ideas on how to revamp staircases but
patterns/appliqués aren't my cup of tea. I prefer a plexiglass style staircase compared to ones made in wood.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
My second bedroom is also the cats room!

We have to repaint our staircase this year. Also redo the living room walls and paint the garden fences so it's ready to put on the market. Yawn. I hate DIY.

• Love
Reactions: KLS52 and shyvas
My second bedroom is also the cats room!

We have to repaint our staircase this year. Also redo the living room walls and paint the garden fences so it's ready to put on the market. Yawn. I hate DIY.

What kind of colour are you planning to use? My friend is going to paint her staircase white.

It can make a world of difference to do some revamping by painting walls and decluttering when you put your house up on the market.