Buying a House

I disagree that paying for a home is a bad choice, especially now that mortgage interest deductions may not able to decrease the federal tax burden. After the mortgage is paid off, homes will continue to increase in value and if you don't have a loan, you can keep those appreciations. Furthermore, owning real estate and paying real estate taxes helps the community.
The issue with mortgages is that you pay early more interest and less toward loans repayment in the payment cycle, so the loan owner gets paid faster than the property owner. 10 or 15 year mortgages cost more out of pocket each month than the traditional 30 year loan, However, you will save a significant amount of money in interest payments throughout the life of the loan, and you will own the property much sooner. Even if you don't sign up for a shorter mortgage to begin with, most lenders allow you to shorten the loan yourself with no consequences - so you can pay more each month and that amount will go to lower the principal.

Holding individual stocks or bonds in a personal investment portfolio is very risky. Most people do not have the financial means to manage their portfolios and they hire financial advisers (some pay a lot!) To do it for them. Taking money, depositing money or etfs is tremendous and expensive.
You give very Amazing advice. I agree with you.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of wallpaper, but the tiles are an interesting idea, though it seems a bit busy. I just like plain old wood staircases with just stain or paint.
I'm not keen on wallpaper either, it's not practical. I'm obsessed with old wood staircases as well, I had some in my old house, was sad to leave them. When I moved to my new house I decided to paint my staircase. I painted them a lovely duck egg colour with some stunning eco friendly paint and I'm in love. They are on par with my old wood staircases for sure!!

The most perfect condo came on the market for my oldest daughter. But she’s not ready to make the move yet because of Blackberry’s health issues. Le sigh. But I get it. Moving is hard enough, putting your home on the market and having people traipsing through…it would be too stressful for BB.

Is that a good price for the area? Just out of curiosity I looked at condos here in FL on Zillow. There is a vast range in prices! You can live on the beach for that price.

Those are both nice!
The condo I posted is decent for this area. The hoa and taxes are pretty good too.

Reactions: Chryssie
Remind me again what a condo is? :iiam: A flat/apartment with stairs?

I'm looking at flats online around here even though I just moved house, lol.

Remind me again what a condo is? :iiam: A flat/apartment with stairs?

I'm looking at flats online around here even though I just moved house, lol.
"Condominium" is a form of ownership in which the interior of each unit is owned by the occupants, but the exterior is owned in common with all residents. It is more commonly used to refer to an apartment unit than to a duplex house, but the usage varies from place to place.

My wife and I are searching for a new house. We have a nice place in woods along a rural road, but we are starting to find it a bit isolated. Neither of us are getting any younger, and if something happened to one of us, the other would have a hard time maintaining it. We had a scare this winter, when I was in hospital for three weeks with what might have been covid, and she had to get neighbours to help with snow clearing. We want a place closer to civilization and services.

Unfortunately, the market here has been overheated lately. Houses were selling for $50,000 over the asking price in less than two days. Great for selling, but it makes buying nerve-wracking. Things have cooled off a bit, but good houses still don't stay on the market for long. We are thinking that our best bet is to make an offer on any new place that meets our requirements that comes up for sale before we sell this one. Which means financing, of course, and that is proving to be a headache.

Our plan is to move in the spring, but we are keeping an eye on the listings already.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Raven
Same here, houses are selling on the spot for over 2x what they sold for a few years ago, and over the asking price.

At least when you do get a place, your old place should sell quickly and you won’t have to keep the carrying costs for long.

There have been bidding wars here too. Everything is selling at or above asking price. It’s just starting to calm down a tiny bit.

Same here, houses are selling on the spot for over 2x what they sold for a few years ago, and over the asking price.

At least when you do get a place, your old place should sell quickly and you won’t have to keep the carrying costs for long.
What do you mean by "carrying costs"?
Problem is you still need a new place! Prices here haven't increased by that much, but rents certainly have.
I feel so fortunate to have been able to buy when I did. Of course maintenance costs will increase, it's an old house