Bullfighting and Spain ?

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hi ?,
We are in Spain ??. I’m an animal rights person and can get upset about animal cruelty. I’m concerned about encountering bullfighting and other cruelty whilst over here. We’re in Xabia, Alicante. Do you think ? we will encounter bullfighting?
May you and all sentient beings be perfectly well, healthy, happy and safe forever ♾ (an extra, extra special, good, holiday symbol).
Please give yourselves and everyone you know (both human and nonhuman) some extra love ?, loving-kindness, care, compassion, support, hugs ? and healthy/non-food treats, and/or indulgent treats in moderation ?, supporting good, ethical and animal-friendly causes at the same time.
Thank you ?.
Best Wishes to all,
Rory.
Have the best day and night ever!

hi Rory

I have spent a lot of time in and I deliberately did not go to a bullfights or expose myself to that culture. It is simple to avoid.

Emma JC

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
I will never understand this 'sport'(barbaric murder) despite the number of times, I've heard why the Spaniards and the French think it's part of their culture.
I also loathe the day they let loose bulls in Pamplona, Spain. The animals are scared stiff and run for their lives. Every year there are stories of people getting stampeded and killed. How stupid can you get ?

Several years ago, I visited Spain on business. At one restaurant, they actually were showing a bullfight on TV - like a regular sports broadcast. I was with a group of Spanish engineers, and they were discussing their opinions about bullfighting. Generally, they didn't like it. I didn't "advertise" my veganism during my visit, so I'm guessing that their opinions were not influenced by my presence.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Several years ago, I visited Spain on business. At one restaurant, they actually were showing a bullfight on TV - like a regular sports broadcast. I was with a group of Spanish engineers, and they were discussing their opinions about bullfighting. Generally, they didn't like it. I didn't "advertise" my veganism during my visit, so I'm guessing that their opinions were not influenced by my presence.

That's good to know. I wonder whether it is the older generation that is stuck with the fact that bullfighting is part of their culture ? I just cannot comprehend how someone can actually find it enthralling to watch a poor bull be butchered and let to die in agony.

Reactions: Emma JC
That's good to know. I wonder whether it is the older generation that is stuck with the fact that bullfighting is part of their culture ? I just cannot comprehend how someone can actually find it enthralling to watch a poor bull be butchered and let to die in agony.
I visited Spain when I was in high school, and I had no interest in attending a bullfighting event, which was on our agenda. I was with a school group, and fortunately, I was not forced to attend after registering my opposition to it. Our chaperones split their duty, so I hung out with the chaperone and two other students who didn't want to go at the Puerta del Sol.

Reactions: Blues and Emma JC
I visited Spain when I was in high school, and I had no interest in attending a bullfighting event, which was on our agenda. I was with a school group, and fortunately, I was not forced to attend after registering my opposition to it. Our chaperones split their duty, so I hung out with the chaperone and two other students who didn't want to go at the Puerta del Sol.

Good for you. Showing this kind of barbarious killing to vulnerable youngsters is appalling.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC