UK Brexit - should the UK leave the EU?

I watched last night's Out debate and also found it interesting. Both sides have valid arguments so it looks like the people who are still undecided have a lot of serious thinking to do.

well, I would like it if anyone could come to the UK, and we could build huge skyscraper cities into the sky.....

I' be quite keen on a Brexit, but on the other hand people like Duncan-Smith....
Yes, that's the thing. In some important policy areas I think the EU actually acts as a moderating force on the UK that prevents conservative reactionaries from taking the country back to a time most of us are actually quite glad is now long gone. Isn't it thanks to the EU that there are some standards on air and water pollution, for example? That coal-fired power plants are shutting down?

Yes, that's the thing. In some important policy areas I think the EU actually acts as a moderating force on the UK that prevents conservative reactionaries from taking the country back to a time most of us are actually quite glad is now long gone. Isn't it thanks to the EU that there are some standards on air and water pollution, for example? That coal-fired power plants are shutting down?

And yet the Dutch are building coal power stations to power (charge up) their electric cars .....it seems to defeat the purpose .

Electric cars and the coal that runs them

13330993_10153652531905963_6441619060657967917_n.jpg

Reactions: robert99
I have yet to see an argument (minus what IS has said in this thread!) for Brexit that doesn't involve the word "Immigrant".

I'm also finding it a weird feeling to agree with David Cameron!

I have yet to see an argument (minus what IS has said in this thread!) for Brexit that doesn't involve the word "Immigrant".

But it's true! If they exit the EU, the problems that make people become refugees will miraculously disappear.
Or, they can simply build a wall...

I read some interesting poll results over the weekend regarding the attitudes to the referendum in different segments of the population. Working class people tend to support Brexit, whereas middle class people want to remain in the EU. Older people tend to support Brexit, younger ones want to remain. (I don't remember the exact numbers, but might look them up later.)

I'm also finding it a weird feeling to agree with David Cameron!
Yes, the EU project is pushed from above by the elites, e.g. by people like David Cameron. (So perhaps it's no surprise that working class people are skeptical.)

As for the immigration argument, I think it's valid to the extent that it says the mass immigration of workers from Europe is a problem because it devalues less skilled labour (i.e. decreases demand) and pushes down salaries in low-pay jobs. So again, it's no wonder working class people are not excited about the EU.

Last edited:
@Indian Summer , btw, I understand that you are from Scandinavia ... have you been "naturalized" as British citizen so far or will you get deported once the UK leaves the EU?

@Indian Summer , btw, I understand that you are from Scandinavia ... have you been "naturalized" as British citizen so far or will you get deported once the UK leaves the EU?
No, I'm still very Norwegian, but hoping I will be "grandfathered" in, having lived and worked here for 10 years, and our daughter is British by birth. Also, I don't believe for a second that they will start deporting people on 24. June if they vote to leave. As I understand it, the UK will then "fall back" to the EEA agreement, which is the same relationship that Norway has to the EU, which means that EU/EEA citizens in the UK will retain all their rights until such time that the UK has negotiated a new agreement with the EU, something which will take years.