UK Bonfire Night-5th November

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Please remember to build your bonfire on the day and CHECK to see if there are any animals hiding before lighting it.
Don't use loud fireworks. Replace them by either silent ones or a laser show if permitted:

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
1667032195732.png

1667032212253.png

An innocent victim of bonfire night-Wirral Fox Rescue

Its that time. Remember Remember foxes in November
Even though the majority of people mean no harm, Fireworks and Fires can have devastating consequences for wildlife
A fox is a sensative creature and unaware of human tradition. If a fox can hear your wrist watch ticking from yards away then just imagine how terrifying this night and the run up might be for them
Help us and be a voice for foxes and SHARE this post so as many people as possible can see this
Help us raise awareness about the very real threat to foxes in Wirral and everywhere as we approach another Bonfire Night with the sale of fireworks permitted to just about anyone regardless of their intentions
Sadly she didnt make it. Rest easy Sweetpea
💔
never forgotten

I think they should replace all fireworks with silent fireworks.
I wish they would at least consider it over here but it’s not likely. We have so many people who I like to refer to as “neanderthals”…no sign of ever wanting to change or evolve from cave man days or even 50 years ago. It’s very frustrating.

Southend-on-sea has fireworks at the seafront at this time of year but luckily we are far enough away that my dog can't hear them. People did request silent fireworks as they said their dogs got so scared, but that was ignored! I feel so sorry for foxes and wild animals. They must be petrified as well.

Southend-on-sea has fireworks at the seafront at this time of year but luckily we are far enough away that my dog can't hear them. People did request silent fireworks as they said their dogs got so scared, but that was ignored! I feel so sorry for foxes and wild animals. They must be petrified as well.
I think that the locals should start a petition for next year. I also feel sorry for our wildlife as many of them die as they are
petrified as they don't know what's going on. Silent fireworks are magical and far nicer than those that going pop bang, bang!

I come from an area where a large number of people were employed in the shipping business, and I often think back to New Year's Eve when I was little, which was the only night of the year when fireworks was a thing. To me, the most magical fireworks were the S.O.S. flares/rockets that sailors had taken home from their ships, maybe with the excuse that they were about to expire. These were completely silent, except for a modest whoosh sound as the rocket went up.

After a long evening of big family fun centered around huge amounts of food - dinner, desserts, age-appropriate drinks, as well as our own fireworks, some of which regrettably did make loud explosions, although this was short-lived, we went back inside for more food and increasingly cringy "true stories", lap-slappingly funny "dad jokes" etc until finally the clock approached that magical hour.

At midnight the sky could have maybe 50 simultaneous parachute flares, slowly, slowly floating to the ground, usually red, but sometimes orange. I would usually watch this from inside with the ceiling lights turned off, trying to count them all to see how many simultaneous ones there were at the moment and whether the number had peaked, and if so at what number. This was obviously much past my usual bedtime, so I would go straight to bed afterwards.

(The day after - first day of the new year, yay - always felt incredibly anti-climatic. For some reason, the snow was always melting on this day, and the only activity for us kids would be to go searching for the remains of spent fireworks. On rare occasions we would find what appeared to be remains of the mystical S.O.S. flares.)

I got a little carried away with that story, but the point was that you can absolutely have a lot of good-old traditional fun without loud, noisy fireworks!

Last edited:
1699003243767.png

Bonfire night-5th November.

Please check the bonfire before lighting it up. Please use silent fireworks as our wildlife and pets are literally stressed out and some will die.

It wasn't too bad here. My dog barked a few times, but we just put the TV up louder to drown it out.

I thought it was quite bad in our neighbourhood. Fortunately, Arlo, our dog, is not particularly bothered. We went on a walk last night after the worst of it had died down. At one point he was actually a bit startled by some fireworks, I think in part because he was able to see it as well, not just hear it. But he watched it for a bit, and I explained it was nothing to be worried about, and then he went back to sniffing and the world of smells, which is his primary interest on our walks.

I'm concerned for wildlife around here, though: birds, squirrels, hedgehogs, foxes, deer and so on :(

I have to say it erodes my faith in humanity, although it's not like I have much faith left.

• Sad
Reactions: shyvas