Body odor

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I notice it less with men wearing cologne, but at the Co-Op I volunteer at I smell perfume very frequently. More than I'd expect. Is body odor a common problem based on your experience?

It can be a problem for some, but these are typically people who first and foremost need a good shower with soap, not a cologne treatment.

Reactions: Dropkick
I've found lately that's it's often used to repel anything with a sense of smell (and possibly kill flying insects).
For some reason more people seem to be bathing in it, instead of applying a small amount to provide a subtle hint of scent.
I used to only run into this with younger people who didn't yet know how to use it, or in older ladies who were possibly losing their sense of smell and were unaware of how much they'd applied. But now I'm running into it more often.

I usually prefer people's normal body odor over any artificial scent (as long as it's not too rank). Though I do like some scents if they're gently applied.

-I like Channel no. 5 on women (expensive though) and I liked the smell of (and occasionally used) Polo years ago - this is my total knowledge of male and female perfumes.

I like some scents....but mostly not....smells affect the more ancient parts of the brain, so I think some perfumes are like a primal attack on the psyche.

Many women seem to like Calvin Klein's Obsession for Men on a man.

For the majority of the time back in the days when I used cologne I had long hair (half way down my back). I used to spritz a little bit of Polo into my hair because I was told the scent would last longer there. I occasionally had women (many I didn't know) stick their faces into my hair in the back of my neck to breath in the scent*.

I took this to mean that Polo was an attractive scent to women.

*I also used to have women (many that I didn't know) just start braiding my hair, often without ever saying anything to me before hand.
- This was usually in the bar, but it also happened twice (that I can remember) at football games, three times at concerts, and once at a wedding reception.
Long hair was a bother to care for, but sometimes I miss it.

Last edited:
Many adults are like kindergarten kids--they say people they disagree with or don't like "stink"--and they mean this literally.

We had a reporter come to one of our Board meetings. He was from a news weekly that disliked our organization. He "reported" that people at the meeting stank from body odor or patchouli. I was at the meeting, and did not notice any unusual smells. But then I was not looking for smells, but trying to pay attention to what was going on in the meeting.

Then again I guess I am not sensitive to smells. I have a friend who has given me various products (laundry detergent, moisturizer, etc.) because she said she could not stand the smell. I could hardly notice any smell.

I was using cider vinegar in the shower quite awhile back (I don't remember why now - itchy scalp maybe, dry skin patch? -don't know).
Anyway, I noticed that if I used it on my arm pits, let it sit for a moment, and then rinsed, I no longer needed to use deodorant or antiperspirant. My B.O. didn't stink.
I started doing it regularly, but then I ran out of cider vinegar in my bathroom and kept forgetting to buy more. I haven't used it now for at least a year but they still don't stink.

Side note: I once had to give myself an enema (I was plugged up and I remembered my Mom giving me one when I was a toddler for the same reason). I was filling the bag when I noticed it didn't smell good (hadn't been dried out well before putting away when used as a hot water bag - it's only prior use). I bleached and cleaned it out as well as I could. When I was filling it to use I saw the vinegar and thought "That's an mild antiseptic, if there's any fungus left in the bag it should sanitize the water before it goes up my bum - couldn't hurt." So I put a little bit in with the water in the bag. I'm not going to describe what I did next, but long story short, you DO NOT want to put any vinegar up your bum, no matter how diluted. It was extremely painful.

One other thing that can be tried for smelly armpits. Softsoap (TM) (I believe) makes a lemon-scented soap in a pump bottle that is designed for use in the kitchen when you get your hands all smelly from chopping onions or the like. Well, buy a bottle for the bathroom and wash your armpits with the "kitchen" soap. There might be extra citrus acid in the soap as well as the lemony scent. But it does seem to wash your armpits "cleaner," plus it gives them a lemony scent. Maybe a bit crazy, but try it.

BTW, the particular type of Softsoap I was talking about is called "Kitchen Fresh Hands."

...what's wrong with just using deodorant?

Is it really that much of a crime to want to take are of yourself and smell nice?

...what's wrong with just using deodorant?

Not sure what you mean by "just" using deodorant. If you mean not washing properly first, but just using deodorant to "cover up" odor, then I think that is kind of self defeating. If you mean using deodorant after washing properly first, then there is nothing wrong with it. Except possibly that some deodorants leave a sticky residue, possibly including some aluminum. May not be desirable.

Is it really that much of a crime to want to take are of yourself and smell nice?

No. I don't know where you got the idea that anyone was suggesting it was a "crime."

It's hard to find a vegan deodorant that works well. I don't think it's worth supporting animal testing for body odor. I'd rather just be smelly, but I think apple cider vinegar helps me. Then I put some vegan deodorant on so I don't smell too much like vinegar :p

Last edited:
I hate strong smells, especially in enclosed places. I was in the doctor's office the other day and someone had on so much perfume my eyes were burning. I was about to sit and wait outside when they called me in. The nurse said she could smell it as soon as she opened the door. I think it's inconsiderate to wear so much perfume/cologne when you're going to be in an enclosed room with other people, whether that's a doctor's office or a classroom. One doctor I went to in the past had this printed on the appointment sheets, "Out of consideration for other patients, we ask that you do not wear anything scented to our office. Thank you." I wish they would all do that.

It's hard to find a vegan deodorant that works well. I don't think it's worth supporting animal testing for body odor. I'd rather just be smelly, but I think apple cider vinegar helps me. Then I put some vegan deodorant on so I don't smell too much like vinegar :p
Danielle, don't use the vinegar like a deodorant. Rinse your pits with it. Let it sit for a moment and then rinse it off with clean water. This will kill the bacteria living off your sweat (what actually stinks) and keep you smelling fresh all day (at least it works for me).

I normally shower daily. I have a squeeze bottle (plastic ketchup dispenser - K-Mart 2 for .99¢) I keep on the shelf in my shower that I periodically fill with vinegar.

Danielle, don't use the vinegar like a deodorant. Rinse your pits with it. Let it sit for a moment and then rinse it off with clean water. This will kill the bacteria living off your sweat (what actually stinks) and keep you smelling fresh all day (at least it works for me).

I normally shower daily. I have a squeeze bottle (plastic ketchup dispenser - K-Mart 2 for .99¢) I keep on the shelf in my shower that I periodically fill with vinegar.
Oh ok thanks