Black Lives Matter UK - London airport protest

M

Moll Flanders

Nine Black Lives Matter protesters arrested amid City airport travel chaos | UK news | The Guardian
Black Lives Matter protest shuts London City Airport - News from Al Jazeera

Nine Black Lives Matter protesters shut down London city airport and caused travel chaos today. Black Lives Matter UK said it had carried out the protest to highlight the environmental impact of air travel on the lives of black people locally and globally.

Dozens of flights were cancelled or rescheduled as the police tried to remove the protesters as they had chained themselves together.

I just saw a Green party politician talking about this on the TV and she was saying that she agreed with the protest as black people in Britain are 28% more likely to be exposed to air pollution than white people. I think this is due to there being more black people living in working class areas that are more likely to be polluted.

I wonder if they are actually winning many people over with this type of tactic? I think I would be seriously ****** off if I had been waiting for my flight.

Nine Black Lives Matter protesters arrested amid City airport travel chaos | UK news | The Guardian
Black Lives Matter protest shuts London City Airport - News from Al Jazeera

Nine Black Lives Matter protesters shut down London city airport and caused travel chaos today. Black Lives Matter UK said it had carried out the protest to highlight the environmental impact of air travel on the lives of black people locally and globally.

Dozens of flights were cancelled or rescheduled as the police tried to remove the protesters as they had chained themselves together.

I just saw a Green party politician talking about this on the TV and she was saying that she agreed with the protest as black people in Britain are 28% more likely to be exposed to air pollution than white people. I think this is due to there being more black people living in working class areas that are more likely to be polluted.

I wonder if they are actually winning many people over with this type of tactic? I think I would be seriously ****** off if I had been waiting for my flight.

They certainly will not win many people over. Not only is it dangerous but it's illegal to protest on a runway.

It certainly seemed to show that security at the airport isn't tight enough.

I have to say that by reading about the issues they were protesting about that I did learn that where I live in east London is what is called a 'noise ghetto', due to my proximity to City Airport and the flight path.

It certainly seemed to show that security at the airport isn't tight enough.

I have to say that by reading about the issues they were protesting about that I did learn that where I live in east London is what is called a 'noise ghetto', due to my proximity to City Airport and the flight path.

That is what I was thinking.

At first glance it doesn't seem like the most obvious target for a group protesting against racism, but they may have a point.

I certainly completely agree that air pollution needs to be addressed much more thoroughly, both from a legislative and a technological angle.

I realised I left out the word urban in my first post, black people are more likely to live in urban areas which tend to be more polluted. Black British - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black Lives Matter UK had a protest last month where some of the protesters stopped traffic and the reason was that they were marking the anniversary of Mark Duggan's death. Black Lives Matter protesters block motorway route into Heathrow Airport as part of 'nationwide shutdown' - ITV News

Mark Duggan was a black man who was shot and killed by police and it was one of the reasons for the riots here in 2011. I think that August protest made more sense than the one they did yesterday. The airport one was quite random and it doesn't really get a clear point across IMO. Air pollution, climate change, racism, migrants etc... I have no real clue what it is they are meant to be asking for.o_O I haven't read many (or any) positive comments from the general public about this protest.

How could only nine people shut down a major airport?
running over people with a plane could cause the plane to crash....plus they had a tripod thing.

Banding around the word 'racist' is just stupid, as if black people don't go on planes.