UK Horrible fire catastrophe in London

Reactions: Mischief and Amy SF
They have found permanent housing for the people left homeless by the fire. Some people and politicians were worried that the residents would be moved out of the borough, but the flats are only a couple of miles away from the Grenfell Tower. It says 68 flats have been acquired so I assume that means it will house all the people who survived the fire.

Grenfell Tower fire: Flats in £2bn luxury Kensington block to be given to families | London Evening Standard

That's amazing. That certainly wouldn't happen here in the States. Anyone left homeless by a fire is on their own.

They have found permanent housing for the people left homeless by the fire. Some people and politicians were worried that the residents would be moved out of the borough, but the flats are only a couple of miles away from the Grenfell Tower. It says 68 flats have been acquired so I assume that means it will house all the people who survived the fire.

Grenfell Tower fire: Flats in £2bn luxury Kensington block to be given to families | London Evening Standard
That is something positive out of this awful situation. I heard on the news that when renovations were being planned, almost all of the residents wanted fire-retardant cladding, citing the need for protection from fire. But the management company apparently wanted a cheaper alternative and ended up with cladding that was flammable.

It is good that the government have come up with a proper response as obviously the victims weren't assisted properly at first. I thought that 68 flats couldn't house all the survivors so this must mean that only some of them have been given new social housing.

I was thinking that if I had been through such an ordeal that I probably wouldn't want to stay in the local area as it would have too many bad memories. Maybe some people would want to be rehoused in another London borough or even outside of London if they had friends or family there, or if they just wanted to have a fresh start.

I think it would be very difficult to live within sight of the Grenfell Tower, especially if one had lost family and/or friends in the fire.

They are talking about the fire at Grenfell in the House of Commons at the moment. TM said that some of the survivors did want to be rehoused outside the borough, she is saying that all of the victims should be rehoused within three weeks.

Iain Duncan Smith just said something that I agree with, that instead of fitting the tower blocks with sprinklers, maybe they should be taken down and more family-friendly housing built instead. There are often lots of problems with high rise social housing, even apart from the fire safety issues. They can often have a high crime rate and they are very difficult and expensive to maintain. We used to tell the young men we worked with at the hostel to bid (apply) for the flats on high rises as they are so unpopular with families and older people that they would have a good chance of getting them.

Some British people on forums are saying that they think it is unfair to taxpayers that the survivors of Grenfell are being given such luxury housing. Really?:mad:

I heard this morning that not only was the cladding the cause of the spreading fire (as we already know), it actually let off a toxic chemical when burning & people are being treated for this chemical posioning as well as everything else.

I am impressed by the developer selling these apartments to the housing authority at cost price.
Less so by the reaction of the other tenants. But yes, I agree, it makes sense to check that those flats don't end up sub-let in a short while.