Beyond Meat - Chicken-Free Strips

At my WF, it is in the freezer section where the veggie burgers and other faux meats are. I overlooked on the first few passes. A worker helped me find it (bottom shelf, not prominently displayed). Ask for help if you need.

By the way, also try Whole Foods' vegan almond cookies, if they have them. They are soooo good. Went back today and all I bought was the cookies and more Beyond Meat.

For dinner tonight, I made a "chicken" burrito and afterwards wanted more, so I heated some up some strips with just BBQ sauce on them. :lick: And had a cookie for dessert. No wait, in about 10 minutes, it will be 2 cookies...
The vegan oatmeal raisin cookies are ridiculously good, too. Even my son, who doesn't eat sweets, ate one and liked it.

If one of my chickens liked the beyond meat chicken stuff, does it mean that he's a high risk candidate for becoming a cannibal chicken? I hope I didn't give him a taste for chicken flesh and that he doesn't start seeing his brother as a snack. :eek:

FTR, I thought it was scrumptious and has the texture and aftertaste of chicken down, but it isn't 100% identical.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
The first few times I had it I liked it. It was dense and chewy and oddly satisfying. I ate way too much of it until... the past 3 packages I've had have just been... blah. They have a funny flavor and the texture is softer and less satisfying. I keep buying more thinking it was just a bad batch, but... no... :(
I am sorry to hear that Fyvel.I had planned to go to the Tropical Smoothie Cafe location near me and check them out but not sure I want to now.

I am sorry to hear that Fyvel.I had planned to go to the Tropical Smoothie Cafe location near me and check them out but not sure I want to now.

The last package I bought was good again! Hopefully just a bad batch that took a while to clear out of my local WF :)

Reactions: Everleigh
The last package I bought was good again! Hopefully just a bad batch that took a while to clear out of my local WF :)
Good to know!I was still going to go and check out Tropical Smoothie Cafe anyway but glad the chicken-free strips will still be on the menu for me when I do.Can't wait to give them a try.Thanks for posting that Fyvel!:)

Reactions: thefadedone
I found it! :)

ETA: Ummmm...I don't think I like them. :( They leave a weird filmy feeling in my mouth. I much prefer Gardein, I think.

I found it! :)

ETA: Ummmm...I don't think I like them. :( They leave a weird filmy feeling in my mouth. I much prefer Gardein, I think.

Well that's not good. :( It doesn't sound appealing at all. Did you have them plain or marinated in something?

Plain...I bought the grilled version. I cut the strips and added them to my TJ's Japanese rice but that filmy feeling was still there. I will try it again in some kind of marinade.

Glad to know it's not just me. I did buy two packages, though. What a waste of almost $12.

I wish this was available in other stores, the nearest WF is about two hours away, so I only go every month or so. At the moment I'm limited to H-E-B and Walmart (which I try to avoid at all costs), and the selection of GF vegetarian foods are fairly limited. :(

I wish this was available in other stores, the nearest WF is about two hours away, so I only go every month or so. At the moment I'm limited to H-E-B and Walmart (which I try to avoid at all costs), and the selection of GF vegetarian foods are fairly limited. :(

Same here. I can't wait to try it. I really hope they expand beyond WF soon.

I went to Tropical Smoothie Cafe in my area today and they did not have the Beyond Meat-Chicken-free strips.

I'm wondering if it was only offered for a limited time?

ETA::pPerhaps I should have called first.

I just bought a package of these from Whole Foods a few days ago (I think it's the grilled version). It kinda freaks me out how much the package and contents look so much like those Purdue ready cooked meat strips.
I like how they're gluten-free, not many fake meats are. That's a big :up: from me.

Just ... WOW
I got them on sale at my local NFS for $3.99, reg. $5.99.
I said ewwwwww when I smelled them
My son who still eats chicken said- smells like cooked chicken
I took a bit to taste, ran to rinse out my mouth. Tasted like the bite of chicken I had from the wrong Subway sandwich like 2 years ago. Did the same thing.
My son said he loved it and asked to get more.
The look and texture, and apparently taste, is scary similiar.
Which is why I ran away, and my son said he'll never eat chicken while he can get this.

I want to know what people did with theirs.
I heated with some gravy

After waiting over a year for this stuff, I finally got to try it. I had to travel an hour away in order to find a place that carries it. It was ridiculously expensive costing $6.99 a package. I had a coupon though and considered it an early Christmas present for myself since I've been waiting so long for it. I was crazy excited to try it. I purchased the lightly seasoned flavor. I LOVE the texture, however the taste and smell of it is awful. It's been over 20 years since I've tasted meat so I don't exactly remember the taste of it, but I do know what chicken smells like and this stuff does not smell like chicken at all.

At first I thought it was the seasonings that was responsible for the pungent smell, but after tasting them I'm not so sure. Like I mentioned, the texture is amazing being very chewy and dense , but there is a very nasty aftertaste. The only way I can describe it is moldy, mildew, and a rotting taste. There's no visible mold on the strips and they don't expire until 2014. I'm not sure if I got a bad batch or if that's how they are supposed to taste.:shrug:

Either way I threw them out which is killing me right now because I hate wasting food and I hate wasting money. I also hate food poisoning so I don't want to take my chances.