Beyond Meat - Chicken-Free Strips

sleepydvdr

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Yesterday, I read an article on Yahoo where the owner of a company called Beyond Meat said he has created a chicken style product that is virtually indistinguishable from real chicken. I didn't stop at that article. I read other reviews and watched a video of blind taste tests (not by the company). The reviews were mixed. The blind taste test only fooled one person but many people had a tough time picking which was real meat.

Today, I found the Southwest Style chicken strips at Whole Foods (actually I also bought the lightly seasoned and grilled flavors, but I haven't tried them yet). I made a chicken wrap and I was very pleased. This was by far the closest faux chicken to the real thing I have tried so far. It was a bit dry, but the flavor and texture were extremely realistic. If I ordered something at a restaurant and received this, I would have asked the server to check and make sure I wasn't served real chicken by mistake.

All three flavors are vegan and made with non-GMO ingredients. They are soy based. One thing that I was impressed with was the price. The 12 oz packages provided a good bit of chicken and only cost $4.99 each. That's at Whole Foods, which is one of the most expensive stores in the US. If this product makes it's way to cheaper stores, it might be a dollar cheaper. Their website shows Whole Foods as the only store to carry it right now.

I think the few negative reviews I read may have been due to the bold claim that this product is indistinguishable from the real thing. Sure, a real meat eater can tell it's not real meat. Even the bad reviews said that the texture is pretty close. Personally, I think they are being too picky. This product is very good and it is incredible considering that a vegetable based product can almost fool people in thinking it is meat. Gardien has been my favorite for years now. This product just climbed to the top of my favorites list.

100% recommended. Try it. I think you will like it.

I love Beyond Meat. It's great chopped up in a quesadilla.

I think it will be awhile before it gets sold outside of Whole Foods stores. They were instrumental in getting Beyond Meat out to consumers and helped a lot with publicity, I think. They have also replaced Gardein with Beyond Meat in prepared foods with faux chicken. I assume this means some sort of exclusivity deal, for awhile anyway.

It seems like a lot of vegan restaurants are starting to offer items made with Beyond Meat, as well. (Judging by the pics on their FB page.)

I had one Whole Foods made dish with it. Husband bought it, said it was Vietnamese and vegan. The chikken strips were with some good crisp vegs and a great sauce over rice, and I liked the chewiness of the Beyond Meat. It is very filling.

I have to say that restaurants could easily serve that dish, it was so good. My vegan son was creeped out by the texture at first, haha, but wolfed it all down. He and my husband went back and got more. ( WF is only a mile from the house.)

I can't wait to try this when it reaches other stores besides Whole Foods and random health food stores. I'm on their mailing list and watch their FB page. They actually just released a printable $1 off coupon to all their fans.

I'm not sure if it tastes exactly like meat (my taste buds forgot), but it's pretty good.

My WF opened up on Friday. I was going to wait a few weeks before going there, for the crowds to die down. Not so sure I will be able to hold out now, especially since I will be at the mall right next to it. Guess I can check out their parking lot when I drive by and see how bad it looks.

Reactions: sallyomally
Just a quick update. I also tried the grilled and it's good, too. I think I still prefer the Southwest style. Still haven't tried the mildly flavored one. Will try soon. One thing I would like to add to the review is that the Southwest and grilled flavors both have a tiny bit of heat to them. Definitely not enough to be considered hot. Just a very slight kick.

If you open the packaging, you will find a coupon for 75 cents off your next purchase. The coupon says only one can be used per purchase. I went back today to get 3 more packs and gave the cashier one coupon and she applied it to all three! I doubt that's a standard practice, but I was very happy. I got these 3 packs for $4.25 each. If this product stays affordable like this, I think it could become a best seller. I hope their success doesn't drive the price up to astronomical levels.

Reactions: thefadedone
I picked up a box of their Southwest strips,and have to say they are very good.I used them in salads and had a wrap for lunch. The texture is creepily similar to the real thing, I agree. They're nice and moist and quite tasty. Looking forward to marinating these for fajitas!

Just a quick update. I also tried the grilled and it's good, too. I think I still prefer the Southwest style. Still haven't tried the mildly flavored one. Will try soon. One thing I would like to add to the review is that the Southwest and grilled flavors both have a tiny bit of heat to them. Definitely not enough to be considered hot. Just a very slight kick.

If you open the packaging, you will find a coupon for 75 cents off your next purchase. The coupon says only one can be used per purchase. I went back today to get 3 more packs and gave the cashier one coupon and she applied it to all three! I doubt that's a standard practice, but I was very happy. I got these 3 packs for $4.25 each. If this product stays affordable like this, I think it could become a best seller. I hope their success doesn't drive the price up to astronomical levels.

I didn't think the Southwest flavor was spicy at all. In fact, they didn't taste seasoned at all to me.

I wish they'd make some that were actually spicy.

Prices are very reasonable- Before the retail packs came out, my WF was selling the strips for $11.99/pound. D:

Reactions: sallyomally
I got two packs of Beyond Meat (Southwest flavor) on sale for $3.99 each at Whole Foods on Friday. I would like to try one of the other flavors, but the two packs I grabbed were the last two on the shelf.

Reactions: sleepydvdr
Didn't see any at the new WF. :(
It was a very anti- climactic shopping experience. Nothing good in the hot food bar, either. :cry:

Where in WF's is Beyond Meat? Is it in the deli near tofurky or is it frozen?

Thanks! I only get to WF every month or two. I'll look for it next time.

Where in WF's is Beyond Meat? Is it in the deli near tofurky or is it frozen?

At my WF, it is in the freezer section where the veggie burgers and other faux meats are. I overlooked on the first few passes. A worker helped me find it (bottom shelf, not prominently displayed). Ask for help if you need.

By the way, also try Whole Foods' vegan almond cookies, if they have them. They are soooo good. Went back today and all I bought was the cookies and more Beyond Meat.

For dinner tonight, I made a "chicken" burrito and afterwards wanted more, so I heated some up some strips with just BBQ sauce on them. :lick: And had a cookie for dessert. No wait, in about 10 minutes, it will be 2 cookies...

I'll have to check there when I go back. I didn't think to look there.

The first few times I had it I liked it. It was dense and chewy and oddly satisfying. I ate way too much of it until... the past 3 packages I've had have just been... blah. They have a funny flavor and the texture is softer and less satisfying. I keep buying more thinking it was just a bad batch, but... no... :(