Beyond Meat - Chicken-Free Strips

I am so glad to hear you say that. I felt the same way about the product. :(

I am so glad to hear you say that. I felt the same way about the product. :(

So they are supposed to taste like that? Ugh. I'm so ******. I paid $5.99 for them. I would've returned them if I bought them locally.

I bought two packages and opened both at the same time. :fp: I think I hated the slimy texture more than the actual taste. It had an aftertaste too!

I bought two packages and opened both at the same time. :fp: I think I hated the slimy texture more than the actual taste. It had an aftertaste too!

I didn't find them too slimy, but I also pan fried them because I wanted them crispy. It was the flavor and aftertaste that I found unbearable. That sucks that you lost out on twice the money!

Reactions: Nightshade
I didn't find them too slimy, but I also pan fried them because I wanted them crispy. It was the flavor and aftertaste that I found unbearable. That sucks that you lost out on twice the money!
Jumping on the bandwagon of people that hate this stuff. I bought a box of the grilled strips a week or so ago and opened it tonight to toss a few pieces onto a salad. I had nuked them for about 45 seconds just to take the chill off. Sadly, even covered in a homemade vegan goddess salad dressing, they tasted like feet. Ugh. I was going to let my dogs finish the rest but they weren't interested either. My husky picked a piece up in her mouth and then re-deposited it a few feet away and my kuvasz just sniffed it and gave me the side eye.

Jumping on the bandwagon of people that hate this stuff. I bought a box of the grilled strips a week or so ago and opened it tonight to toss a few pieces onto a salad. I had nuked them for about 45 seconds just to take the chill off. Sadly, even covered in a homemade vegan goddess salad dressing, they tasted like feet. Ugh. I was going to let my dogs finish the rest but they weren't interested either. My husky picked a piece up in her mouth and then re-deposited it a few feet away and my kuvasz just sniffed it and gave me the side eye.

Wow . We are a rare group though since everyone else seems to love them. I really don't see how anyone could eat them cold. That's disappointing to know that even being drenched in dressing they still tasted awful. My dog went batshit crazy for them though. I don't always trust her taste in food even though she loves veggies, fruits, Tofurky , and other vegan meats
she also eats her own poop from time to time

Reactions: KLS52
Wow . We are a rare group though since everyone else seems to love them. I really don't see how anyone could eat them cold. That's disappointing to know that even being drenched in dressing they still tasted awful. My dog went batshit crazy for them though. I don't always trust her taste in food even though she loves veggies, fruits, Tofurky , and other vegan meats
she also eats her own poop from time to time
OMG I almost just choked on my tea from laughter after reading that spoiler.
My husky is a fine connoisseur of all manner of poop ranging from cat to deer but she's never expressed an interest in her own. I dunno what that says about Beyond Meat though that a dog who will gleefully wolf down cat poop turns her nose up at the chik'n strips.

I kinda think it goes to show that meat is an acquired taste! :eek:...and one that is as easily done away with!
It was about a year ago that I picked up my sons Subway sandwich. Something awful....spoiled? what? Spit it out, looked in the sub- it was chicken. Totally gross, tasted putrid. Son said it was fine. He also loves the Beyond Meat and says he'll stay away from meat as long as he can have it sometimes. Fine with me!
I had no desire to eat it, but the second time I bought it I took a tiny bit-same as the Subway chicken - yech.
I can honestly say I did love the taste of meat when I ate it, but it's nothing but a memory now. Wish I could say that about cheese though...

Reactions: thefadedone
Yeah, sometimes that happens. I spoke with someone in customer service when I had a package that didn't have an expiration date stamped on it, and they told me it is good frozen until the date stamped on the package but otherwise it is good refrigerated for 2 weeks. I think the stores aren't handling this stuff properly. They're supposed to be stamping it with an expiration date 2 weeks from the time it comes out of the freezer (at least that's my understanding of it). I think you get that off taste when it's been out of the freezer for too long :/

Reactions: thefadedone
I still like it. I totally understand the film-in-the-mouth thing, though- Burger King french fries do that to me, and everyone thinks I'm crazy.

Yeah, sometimes that happens. I spoke with someone in customer service when I had a package that didn't have an expiration date stamped on it, and they told me it is good frozen until the date stamped on the package but otherwise it is good refrigerated for 2 weeks. I think the stores aren't handling this stuff properly. They're supposed to be stamping it with an expiration date 2 weeks from the time it comes out of the freezer (at least that's my understanding of it). I think you get that off taste when it's been out of the freezer for too long :/
Huh, I wonder if that's the issue with the stuff then. Maybe the store I bought it from isn't marking it correctly because I had it in my own fridge for a few weeks and I was still ahead of the use by date. I'm still not in any hurry to repeat the experience though. The aftertaste and that slimy mouth feel remained with me for quite a while.

That could be it, Fryvel. In fact my (vegan) husband said it reminded him of cheap re-frozen chicken. Maybe the handling has just been bad. I'd love to have a product like this (that tasted good) as an option.

I really think this is the case . I tried it again from a batch that came right out of the freezer and there wasn't an aftertaste or overall nasty rotting flavor like there was from the previous package I had. I think the first package was sitting in the fridge at the health food store for way too long.

I took advantage of that free coupon that Beyond Meat was offering around Christmas time because I really didn't want to give up on this stuff. This time I was given a package that was frozen and had just come in that day. The taste was very different from my previous experience. However, although they were much tastier, the texture was still the same. So if it's the texture that's off putting to some people then I don't think that will change no matter how long these things are frozen or left in the fridge.

I still don't see how the resemble real chicken though. I still think Gardien's chicken is much, much more realistic , especially when it comes to the taste and texture.

I guess I'm going to have to try again. :)

I guess I'm going to have to try again. :)

If you do make sure you get a package that is still frozen and use a coupon so you don't spend that much money. Beyond Meat are offering a $1 off coupon on their FB page and website.

Even though this second time around I found BM more palatable and somewhat tasty, Gardein is still my first choice when it comes to vegan chicken strips.

Beyond Meat have also started producing a ground beef product. I'm curious as to how that compares to the other brands.